An Open Letter to the SMR Community

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Page
SMR Coder

Re: An Open Letter to the SMR Community

Post by Page »

JettJackson wrote:Since when was this game about sportsmanship, I hate to break it to you guys but hunters have been a-holes for a long long long time.
And here is the issue, apparently it is ok for there to be no sportmanship, when that really shouldn't be seen as the acceptable case.
Jester- wrote:So what, we can use IST, but it sucks now
IST has not been changed in any way from before, sure, there is now a better but even riskier jump trader, but no one is forcing you to use it. (In fact until this round no one had)

Anyway, I'll stick to game mechanics for my attempts to improve things, trying to change the community attitude is quite demoralising.
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

Let me rephrase. The IST sucks compared to the other trading ships.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Jump is the essence of this equation here, IST is better than most traders and honestly other than ACV I would say its better than all traders. Plus if you want a safe secure trader, use a PF or go Alskant
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Jester- wrote:JJ stop adopting your viewpoint on who you hang around with. Hunters are way over powered, especially a ship that doesn't have arm up all the time, who can hide wherever he wants and has turns and forces like nuts. You put that with these stupidly easy to access maps and you have no fun for anyone else but the over powered hunter. Do we want free trading? No, but we do not want a guaranteed death every time we trade. You can't sit there and say "well you suck and are lazy" when a hunter gets off 3 shots in a second.

When page decided to make all beefier ships useless compared to the small forceless ships this is what happens. The major veteran hunter alliances that can protect their traders and kill everyone else gets an even bigger advantage. So what, we can use IST, but it sucks now and so does the PSF. So not only does the major hunter alliance get the benefit of the better trade ships, they also either pull away in experience because they take no real risk or the other traders die in the same ships.

Think for a minute on what you say and maybe you'll realize this game isn't about only the hunter having fun. What happened to utility players who enjoyed mining and building, or traders helping get the bank roll up. Why no massive changes in favor of them? Where did all this false interaction bull crap come from I'm so sick and tired of hearing about interaction. There's plenty so stop stuffing hunters getting tons of kills as interaction down our throats.
You mention Sergei getting 3 shots a second, which I think is now limited per an addition to the code, Page could clarify this however. As for the vet issue your alliance has plenty of vets too, and all the players I recruited were open for the taking you chose not to take them, so don't try to pin this on a 'major veteran hunter' alliance. Like I have said it is one person, ONE PERSON. If he is this much of a problem kill him. The fact I am explaining this to someone who has played for damn near 13 years is astounding. As for adapting my point of view to who I am around, Sergei and Orca have been back a total of 2 games, and before then I wasn't around those I am playing with now so your point of reference is flawed as I have had this same stance for a very long time. However last game it wasn't a big deal when you had a hunter decently early in the game and were getting kills, if anything the flip-flopping in stance isn't me.

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

JettJackson wrote:
You mention Sergei getting 3 shots a second, which I think is now limited per an addition to the code, Page could clarify this however. As for the vet issue your alliance has plenty of vets too, and all the players I recruited were open for the taking you chose not to take them, so don't try to pin this on a 'major veteran hunter' alliance. Like I have said it is one person, ONE PERSON. If he is this much of a problem kill him. The fact I am explaining this to someone who has played for damn near 13 years is astounding. As for adapting my point of view to who I am around, Sergei and Orca have been back a total of 2 games, and before then I wasn't around those I am playing with now so your point of reference is flawed as I have had this same stance for a very long time. However last game it wasn't a big deal when you had a hunter decently early in the game and were getting kills, if anything the flip-flopping in stance isn't me.
You must live in an interesting world JJ. I started an alliance with no members. No one would even join me the first day. You on the other hand had an all star team from the start. Please do not try to compare us. I took ANYONE who would join me the first week. You do have a preset major veteran heavy alliance. Do not try and deny it. You just look foolish. Also he did get 3 shots in a second, though the system only let him get in one ever .5 seconds. It still logs when he hit the button. Also, yes you do change your viewpoint depending on who you are around. I'm not the only one who knows this. I don't know what stance you think you've had for a long time, but I assure you it wasn't let the hunters have tons of turns and pod everyone out of existence until they quit.

What is happening right now in SMR is a detriment to the game and needs addressed or even more people like myself will just stop bothering. You can say we are quitters. I like to think we are looking for an enjoyable game to play in our leisure time. This game isn't a JOB.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Jester- wrote:What is happening right now in SMR is a detriment to the game and needs addressed or even more people like myself will just stop bothering. You can say we are quitters. I like to think we are looking for an enjoyable game to play in our leisure time. This game isn't a JOB.
WHAT! I'm not getting paid!?!?!?

<starts billing SMR for hours spent>
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Jester- wrote: You must live in an interesting world JJ. I started an alliance with no members. No one would even join me the first day. You on the other hand had an all star team from the start. Please do not try to compare us. I took ANYONE who would join me the first week. You do have a preset major veteran heavy alliance. Do not try and deny it. You just look foolish. Also he did get 3 shots in a second, though the system only let him get in one ever .5 seconds. It still logs when he hit the button. Also, yes you do change your viewpoint depending on who you are around. I'm not the only one who knows this. I don't know what stance you think you've had for a long time, but I assure you it wasn't let the hunters have tons of turns and pod everyone out of existence until they quit.

What is happening right now in SMR is a detriment to the game and needs addressed or even more people like myself will just stop bothering. You can say we are quitters. I like to think we are looking for an enjoyable game to play in our leisure time. This game isn't a JOB.
Just because no one joined you the first day doesn't mean you don't have vets, and I didn't say we didn't have vets in this alliance. The only thing I said was that the vets we had beside a select 3-5 were out there to be recruited, you chose not to recruit them or they just didn't want to play with you but don't spin this into a who has who argument because both teams have a heavy vet presence. Again you are incorrect when you think that I have changed my stance to pro hunter because I am playing with serg, when in reality I was one of the firsts to want the PSF nerfed about 10 games ago and I am constantly against weakening hunter ships (note the ITAC discussion), I am sure I can go on with more things but those 2 speak on behalf of themselves. As for this activity discussion you can't tell people to just dial back how they play the game because you can't keep up, Hell the SF mantra is to keep going no matter what. What has changed from previous instances? Why is it that people have to dial it back, Why can't people dial it up? Before you go on about we are on all day again it is really just one or 2 people who are on all the time, If you need logs of who comes on when in chat I will be more than willing to supply them to further cement my point. No this isn't a job but it is a hobby that some people devote more time than others to. I mean are we looking to limit how long someone can play per day because that is a ludicrous notion.

Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

JettJackson wrote:I mean are we looking to limit how long someone can play per day because that is a ludicrous notion.
It is not ludicrous in the slightest, in fact it is the very reason SMR is a turn based game, however as it stands that whole element has been pretty much taken away by combination of ever increasing game speeds and a particularly small map this round. SMR was always designed from the start so that you could only do so much each day and you had to plan out where you wanted to spend the actions you had available.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Page wrote:
JettJackson wrote:I mean are we looking to limit how long someone can play per day because that is a ludicrous notion.
It is not ludicrous in the slightest, in fact it is the very reason SMR is a turn based game, however as it stands that whole element has been pretty much taken away by combination of ever increasing game speeds and a particularly small map this round. SMR was always designed from the start so that you could only do so much each day and you had to plan out where you wanted to spend the actions you had available.
Maybe people need to be more turn efficient instead of just wildly running around with no motives and can we stop bringing up the small map, I already stated I made it too small, there is no reason to keep throwing it out there as if it's new information

Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

JettJackson wrote:Maybe people need to be more turn efficient instead of just wildly running around with no motives
Well there's no point them being turn efficient, there's too many turns for most people to know what to do with them :P 420/day is a lot to use up by any measure.