The State of SMR 12/15/2011

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Re: The State of SMR 12/15/2011

Post by Harry Krishna »

Azool wrote:What were everyone's thoughts when we started the planets at higher level (NPC owned)?
As I recall, the NPC planets were randomly constructed which didn't play well with the 1.5 concept of designer planets, i.e. you had less control over what type of planet it could be. Having mid-level NPC planets to bust and take over is one way to give players a head-start at having a secure home.

Raising turret accuracy a little might help sharpen baby planet's teeth as well, and provide a smidge better protection to all planets. Even level 70's aren't that safe from a fleet of 12-14 ships.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

Harry Krishna wrote:
Azool wrote:What were everyone's thoughts when we started the planets at higher level (NPC owned)?
As I recall, the NPC planets were randomly constructed which didn't play well with the 1.5 concept of designer planets, i.e. you had less control over what type of planet it could be. Having mid-level NPC planets to bust and take over is one way to give players a head-start at having a secure home.
I was referring to 2 (maybe 3) games ago when we started planets at level 15-35, but you had to bust them before you could claim them
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

Here are some of the ideas from 1.5 that I could find with a quick forum search (from the 1.5changelog)...Not sure if everyone has access to that forum, so I'll just quote here
New Trading: There is a x% chance that when you visit a port you will be informed of some special deal by the port owner (Alskant have a higher chance). There is also a y% chance (Alskant have lower chance) that this deal is announced publicly as well (under the new "Trading" link on the left panel). The deal that you are told of is to buy or sell goods at a certain port for increased profit and experience. If you look under the trading link you can see other deals that you can also participate in. Be wary though, hunters can also see these deals. The safest deals are the ones that you are told by the port owner that don't appear in the main trading link.
Added some basic mining stuff. Mines will act somewhat like mobile ports with a limited life span. To mine asteroids/colonies you need to have special mining drones (5 types, some of which can be bought at the HQ hardware shops). Depending on your combinations of drones you can get a range of resources per second based on your drones. The resources collected can be anything from normal tradeable resources to planet resources to special items that the government wants.
Added EMP weapons. EMP weapons decrease an opponent's maneuverability while still providing some damage. The EMP part of a weapon and the damage part of the weapon are separate and can hit separately (or 1 part can hit while the other misses).
Currently, effects last only during that combat round.
Added Shield Regen Stat - Your shields will regenerate over time based on the number of points you have in this stat.
Created different planet 'types' with various buildings for each.
Added gadgets. These are useful in changing the tide of a battle as well as making you a better trader or helping to protect you more.
Gadgets: http://www.azool.us/baalz/gadgets.htm
Gadgets/Special Items: http://smrcnn.smrealms.de/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9365
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

I liked planets being busted first. It also made them usable early on when you actually busted them. It's a good start to a solution for sure.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Jester- wrote:Planets are definitely to flimsy at level 0. It takes forever to even make them safe to land on for one night. Even at level 20, 4-5 ships in hunters can usually bust it.
I have mentioned this on several occasions and it was denounced.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

I stopped playing because this round is completely geared towards fed hunting. I dont like fed hunting, so ill wait for a round where I can build planets, bust planets, and have it mean something. Where if I trade, that money is need for gal building and sieging. Where deaths and kills matter.

I have no interest in a stat padding round.