More NPC's!!

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
SnakeBite
Newbie Spam Artist

More NPC's!!

Post by SnakeBite »

Well, don't really know what to say more, I just think there should be even more NPC's. Enough so that there is at least one trading every 20mins.

The tl;dr version: I want to be able to kill stuff more often.

For the rest here is my reasoning:

There are 2 reasons for this.

The main one is that in short I want to be able to practice hunting more often. I know its not the same and the fact that they use random routes means it isn't quite that similar but I still believe its good practice. I'm quite active and sometimes quite allot of time goes by before I see one gaining.

Reason 2 (but also a good one imo): This is something fun to do while waiting for something better to do :P This game was for the most part fairly boring most would agree. More then once I was on or near max turns burning to do something (although I was spending my time trying to learn to hunt which meant I didn't want to get in a trader).

I introduced a friend to this game. I taught him a fair bit, and even managed to organise a fight (which we obviously failed badly at hehe but was fun). I do not think he will return to this game. When asked why his answer was simple. 1st of it took him 2 weeks of playing before the first time he even had a chance to pull that trigger. 2nd of, we had to wait around for the better part of 2 hours before we managed to track someone down to shoot at. Now the fact that getting into a real fight took time and a bit of strategy he considered awesome. The fact that shooting at something was such an exclusive event he found less awesome.

The only drawback I can see too adding more bots is that they might mess up the s/d of ports but I'm sure this is easily fixable.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: More NPC's!!

Post by RCK »

Next round more NPC are planned, though i havnt told page yet :)
Electricdeath
Quiet One

Post by Electricdeath »

idk why really i just feel im part of the low % of people that think there should be none at all :P am I alone here ? haha
Electricdeath
Quiet One

Post by Electricdeath »

maybe im just old lol
Naeblis
Quiet One

Post by Naeblis »

ED your not alone. I feel as they are they shouldn't exist. However roving bands of pirates, or Fed Cops defending good aligned traders in racials as well as responding to port raids would make the npc interesting.

Imagine a small fleet of Warrants responding to a PR. Some would think twice ;)
Master of the lightenings, rider on the storm, wearer of a crown of swords, spinner-out of fate. Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time, may learn the truth too late.Galactic Vampire
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

From what I've seen there's a bunch of people who dislike them because they feel they add nothing to the game, then there's a bunch who enjoy hunting them (and making fairly good money off of them at times), no one denies they could be significantly better though - it's just I'm no master of AI, or even close :P (plus there's the time it would take to do that even if I was)