New Dawn - Initial Impressions

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: New Dawn - Initial Impressions

Post by RCK »

JettJackson wrote:
RCK wrote:
JettJackson wrote:only can do so much with 550 turns, btw you forgot to add that we cleared 4 sectors of mines 2 scans being >4000, probably cost a pretty penny
Come on now, single shield clearing off a warp planet... and stacks with no drones to take out armour.... not that hard ;)
But I thought everyone puts drones on all their stacks ;)
Only those pesky NPCs... and ppl with 2 much cash :P
Sufex
Quiet One

Post by Sufex »

Holti wrote:They busted one planet and took a pot shot at another.

Even GIA could do that :P
Do it then.

NP -=Shadow=- SF LB Crusaders Armory Armory V2 GS
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

We have :)
Sufex
Quiet One

Post by Sufex »

Holti wrote:We have :)
npc planets don't count.

NP -=Shadow=- SF LB Crusaders Armory Armory V2 GS
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

ILl answer questions, not your comments.

Map is cool. It's different, it is vastly different than what we normaly play, therefor dozens of times more interesting. Yes, there are a lot of NPC mines, maybe it would be tiresome to have these mines in these quantities every round, but NPC planets and mines are becoming a valuable addition to the universe generator and how are maps can look. Why always pretend our 8 races, or our 4 alliances are the first in the universe, when there are options. So maybe not have 5100 scans every round, but from time to time, changing the concept and flow of the round is good, and judging by the activity - the map is good.

I greatly appreciate that finally someone has come to their senses and started using non-square galaxies, and as well, stopped making all racial galaxies identical. Picking the race at the start of the round doesn't and shouldn't boil down just to choice of ships, but also be a little gamble with what would their home galaxy look like and how will the routes be. Even if they come out really bad for a race, it is only more reason for interaction with other players, be it by forming alliances an splitting jobs between people, be it more active politics and getting peace treaties with other races. This should be the practice every round, and not just this one.

My only objection is max turns, 600 would be better cause of the size of the map. Rest is just fine.

Cheers!

K.
Use The Force(s)!
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

I like your points kik. On the 550 turns / 600 turn cap I actually like it at 550. I've noticed I've put my self in turn situations I normally wouldn't during op times. I think this is a good thing and we either plan properly or over extend.

Another note would be on Aurora ops. If they had those extra 60 turns would they get just that 1 more planet?

Just something to think about.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Infinity wrote:ILl answer questions, not your comments.

Map is cool. It's different, it is vastly different than what we normaly play, therefor dozens of times more interesting. Yes, there are a lot of NPC mines, maybe it would be tiresome to have these mines in these quantities every round, but NPC planets and mines are becoming a valuable addition to the universe generator and how are maps can look. Why always pretend our 8 races, or our 4 alliances are the first in the universe, when there are options. So maybe not have 5100 scans every round, but from time to time, changing the concept and flow of the round is good, and judging by the activity - the map is good.

I greatly appreciate that finally someone has come to their senses and started using non-square galaxies, and as well, stopped making all racial galaxies identical. Picking the race at the start of the round doesn't and shouldn't boil down just to choice of ships, but also be a little gamble with what would their home galaxy look like and how will the routes be. Even if they come out really bad for a race, it is only more reason for interaction with other players, be it by forming alliances an splitting jobs between people, be it more active politics and getting peace treaties with other races. This should be the practice every round, and not just this one.

My only objection is max turns, 600 would be better cause of the size of the map. Rest is just fine.

Cheers!

K.
I agree with all these points
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Jester- wrote:I like your points kik. On the 550 turns / 600 turn cap I actually like it at 550. I've noticed I've put my self in turn situations I normally wouldn't during op times. I think this is a good thing and we either plan properly or over extend.

Another note would be on Aurora ops. If they had those extra 60 turns would they get just that 1 more planet?

Just something to think about.
Based upon last night we both know 60 turns wouldn't been enough especially with uno distances being so far.

To be honest the one issue I do have with the map is with the multiple warps out of planet gals it makes defense much easier than it should be. I would switch the order of the gals from neutral-planet-planet neutral to neutral-planet neutral-planets still far distances from fed but it would equalize the easy defense mechanism that is in place right now.

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

So now planets are too easy to defend? I could have sworn you've been complaining for ages how hard to defend they are :P
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Page wrote:So now planets are too easy to defend? I could have sworn you've been complaining for ages how hard to defend they are :P
Because they were for ages... but you changed a bunch of things and then the map was changed to make it easier too...