New Dawn - Initial Impressions

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Holti
Quiet One

Re: New Dawn - Initial Impressions

Post by Holti »

I bet if more ops were called more people would show,
We actually call for approximately two ops a week. Sometimes I just stated a time and saw who signed up. Sometimes we asked what times were best, thinking it would help us find an optimal time, and called it. Didn't matter. We've cancelled quite a few due to low turn out (less than 9 or 10 needed to do what we wanted). Even tried exchanging players with SF and GTA to get enough players to op, the first time Jester gave me one of his newbies and we managed. 2nd time, we picked up Mojo, who wanted to stay. Even now, with ACD leading, we're struggling to get together enough to op, and ACD is well liked in our alliance and doesn't have my leader burnout this round. It isn't just our alliance, the other two struggle as well. Eye only had 7 ships for their last op, Jester only had 6 or 7 for his last op. Part of the problem is that Eye and GIA are 50/50 North American/Euro. The Euros don't want to op after 11 pm (when North Americans are home and available) because they work the next day. North Americans don't want to op at noon (evening for Euros) because they're at work. North Americans don't want to op late at night because they work the next day. Most of my alliance is made up of married players, some with children, and don't want to op during dinner/family time, no matter the time zone.

Sure, I could be a jackass about it, but that won't make them leave their jobs, wives and children to play SMR.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Holti wrote:
We actually call for approximately two ops a week. Sometimes I just stated a time and saw who signed up. Sometimes we asked what times were best, thinking it would help us find an optimal time, and called it. Didn't matter. We've cancelled quite a few due to low turn out (less than 9 or 10 needed to do what we wanted). Even tried exchanging players with SF and GTA to get enough players to op, the first time Jester gave me one of his newbies and we managed. 2nd time, we picked up Mojo, who wanted to stay. Even now, with ACD leading, we're struggling to get together enough to op, and ACD is well liked in our alliance and doesn't have my leader burnout this round. It isn't just our alliance, the other two struggle as well. Eye only had 7 ships for their last op, Jester only had 6 or 7 for his last op. Part of the problem is that Eye and GIA are 50/50 North American/Euro. The Euros don't want to op after 11 pm (when North Americans are home and available) because they work the next day. North Americans don't want to op at noon (evening for Euros) because they're at work. North Americans don't want to op late at night because they work the next day. Most of my alliance is made up of married players, some with children, and don't want to op during dinner/family time, no matter the time zone.

Sure, I could be a jackass about it, but that won't make them leave their jobs, wives and children to play SMR.
Maybe try and recruit more americans or have the Euros be your money makers like within my alliances. I mean there are ways around things. I mean you see my alliance we may be active but its truly 15 people the rest are inactive. Meaning I make best with what I have also.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Sufex
Quiet One

Post by Sufex »

Holti wrote:

So next round. Our alliance vs all other alliances. Give us a 25 person cap with no vet cap as we started with 6/7 noobs this round and they upgraded to vet. And the rest of you all in one alliance. Similar setup as this gal as the design is good, but turns need to be upped because of the amount of warps. 650/1.75 speed. Have the NPC gals setup the same also, I know I :D about them but you all seem to be for them so have it your way. Activity breeds activity, thats why our group stays together each round. Why would we want to be in an alliance full of people who don't log on?

NP -=Shadow=- SF LB Crusaders Armory Armory V2 GS
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Sufex wrote:
Holti wrote:

So next round. Our alliance vs all other alliances. Give us a 25 person cap with no vet cap as we started with 6/7 noobs this round and they upgraded to vet. And the rest of you all in one alliance. Similar setup as this gal as the design is good, but turns need to be upped because of the amount of warps. 650/1.75 speed. Have the NPC gals setup the same also, I know I :P about them but you all seem to be for them so have it your way. Activity breeds activity, thats why our group stays together each round. Why would we want to be in an alliance full of people who don't log on?
As fun as this would be, I don't know what the feasibility is, plus I don't know how many people would go for it.

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

Naeblis
Quiet One

Post by Naeblis »

JettJackson wrote: As fun as this would be, I don't know what the feasibility is, plus I don't know how many people would go for it.
They wouldn't go for it, because most are afraid to put in the effort to succeed. This game doesn't have a level req for ships. So even semi-actives should be capable of opping if funded.
Master of the lightenings, rider on the storm, wearer of a crown of swords, spinner-out of fate. Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time, may learn the truth too late.Galactic Vampire
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

Naeblis wrote:
JettJackson wrote: As fun as this would be, I don't know what the feasibility is, plus I don't know how many people would go for it.
They wouldn't go for it, because most are afraid to put in the effort to succeed. This game doesn't have a level req for ships. So even semi-actives should be capable of opping if funded.

yes because money and levels are the only things stopping people from opping :roll: :lol: Did you forget about the world outside of the virtual one, and how it takes priority. The only obstacle to opping is the fact it takes coordinating the scheduel of 10/30 people to do it.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Kard wrote:
Naeblis wrote:

yes because money and levels are the only things stopping people from opping :roll: :lol: Did you forget about the world outside of the virtual one, and how it takes priority. The only obstacle to opping is the fact it takes coordinating the scheduel of 10/30 people to do it.
Some of it is outside world influences but you can only be as motivated as your leader. And seeing as GIA has changed leaders 3 times this game I think that is probably part of the issue. Of course constantly recruiting part time players who only want to trade doesn't help either. Some people need to broaden their horizons more within this game, there is more to it than just trading a racial route.

Naeblis
Quiet One

Post by Naeblis »

Kard wrote:
Naeblis wrote:

Nice way to ignore my first statement. If people put aside an hour here and there, thus the "effort" Ops would happen. I am not talking turning ones life over to a game, only a couple hours a week.
Master of the lightenings, rider on the storm, wearer of a crown of swords, spinner-out of fate. Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time, may learn the truth too late.Galactic Vampire
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Naeblis wrote:If people put aside an hour here and there, thus the "effort" Ops would happen. I am not talking turning ones life over to a game, only a couple hours a week.
That's great, and I'm sure most people would be willing to do that, however the point is that it has to be one hour a week at a time they can actually put aside an hour, which has to be at the same time as at least 6 other people (if not more to get a good op). The problem is not that each individual person won't set aside that time, it's getting the time to coincide with the rest of the alliance (which due to timezones and real life commitments often do not coincide, for instance I can easily put aside an hour most evenings but people in NA would tend to be at work, likewise when they would put aside their time then I would be asleep..)

This game is no longer made up of students/unemployed people in the same way it used to be, I know I for one have finally graduated and got a full time job so can no longer stay up until 4am to op like I used to and I don't think it's right to expect people to do that.
Naeblis
Quiet One

Post by Naeblis »

It is up to the alliance leadership to find a core that are both willing and able to be coordinated for op times. Also, there are plenty of unemployed and students out there. The game desperately needs to advertise and get new bodies in here. The days of word of mouth or mpogd pushing enough folks in to overcome turnover are past. The game, any game needs new blood to continue.