New Dawn - Initial Impressions

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: New Dawn - Initial Impressions

Post by RCK »

Add that to the direct path they took to our lander and I smell a rat....
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Holti wrote:What the above posts fail to realize is simple psychology. There's little player interaction because a big chunk of the player base does not want to interact. We had a super small map last round, and with the exception of JJ's alliance, everyone stopped playing. We had a bigger map, and had enough people to form four alliances, but three of those alliances struggled with getting enough people to op. Not because of the map, not because of the turns, not because of the speed, but because they simply did not want to op. Changing the map, the speed, and the turns will not change that very critical point. Yet despite JJ's alliance being able to put together 16 people for an op, while the other three struggled to put together 7 for an op, he still felt the need to use one of my guys to clear the warps for him, as you can see in this chat log:

0116:30] <Holti> 16:29] <Loty> i just wasted their ;) warp
01[16:30] <Holti> [16:29] <Loty> jj loaned me 7 mil
01[16:30] <Holti> [16:29] <Loty> so i could buy eos
01[16:30] <Holti> [16:29] <Loty> cause u only let me withdraw 10
01[16:30] <Holti> [16:29] <Loty> so i cleared sf warp for him
01[16:30] <Holti> I did NOT authorize this
01[16:30] <Holti> So I'm letting you know what is up
[17:19] <Jester_> wtf
01[17:20] <Holti> Yeah, I'm not happy about it either.
[17:20] <Jester_> why would they use lotus to clear our warp
01[17:20] <Holti> That's why I'm letting you know - apparently JJ called him and asked him to do that.
[17:20] <Jester_> when they've always had the clear advantage in op numbers
[17:20] <Jester_> lol

Despite my warning several hours in advance, Jester still could not put the people together to counter op. The reality is, the only way JJ can get the game he wants is if he split his alliance in half and fight each other, but that is not going to happen.

The reality is you cannot force people to interact if they don't want to. They simply move on to other games. JJ should have learned that from the last round fiasco, but he did not.
silly me I must have missed the rules change where you can't have someone help you out. Maybe being nice to people allows me the ability to ask for favors in return. Plus the way you make it out, u make it seem like i asked 10 people to clear, it was 1 person and sf had 3 on at the time and didn't engage.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
buttsack
Quiet One

Post by buttsack »

Did I just read that right? Holti, you said that you do NOT want player interaction? And that several other players agree with you???

I'd suggest you all go play solitaire, then.. but if it really is true that a big chunk of the playerbase of SMR wants to be meek and cozy instead of challenged more often... then I guess it's time for me to move on from this game. Somehow I get the feeling that you are only a mouthpiece for a few, Holti.. the people who just like to trade because by your logic, the game is called Space Merchant Realms and not Space Hunter Realms... except that you forget that SMR has been about player interaction from the beginning. If you do not like the way the game is played, then play a game that doesn't promote player interaction! Please STOP trying to change this game so much so that it is NOT interactive just because you don't like interaction. You don't do ANYTHING in this game anyway.. WHY do you play??? Is making profits and sitting on it for no good reason that much fun? Do you like to see your experience bar get bigger and bigger? What is the point!? Players like Holti and anyone who agrees with him/her are killing this game by trying to force their opinion that player interaction is somehow not necessary.

That being said, who cares if Lotus cleared SF warp for some money??? Crus came over and cleared us one day, either by their own free will or for some money, IDK either way. Your gonna blame JJ for using your crappy leadership to his advantage, Holti? A 10 million bank cap?? Are you serious? Your not even gonna let people who are in your alliance who like to fight, fight??

And lets get serious with the Aurora hogs all the active players argument. I see plenty of "active" players in alliances that are engaged in war doing nothing but hunting NPCs. Why aren't they doing anything productive for the war efforts instead of hunting NPC? This is why NPCs the way they currently are are NOT good for the game! They do what Holti wants, promote less player to player interaction. Instead of hunting NPC they should be helping the war efforts. Jester has a good group of players.. they have proven to be a challenge and this majestic 16 man op fleet even got owned and couldn't finish busting a big rock because of it. I thought that would be all the morale boost that SF needed to really take this war to another level.. but alas, still some SF hunts NPCs and thats garbage.

Don't like my map idea Holti? Then don't play it if it gets made. Quite frankly, the game doesn't need you because you do not do anything that makes the game fun for others... only for your selfish self.
Green Skulls, Crimson and Clover, Army of Cuda, Suckas, Armory, Armory v2, Green Skulls, Lords of the Pings, Green Skulls, Ingenious!
buttsack
Quiet One

Post by buttsack »

Holti wrote:
The reality is you cannot force people to interact if they don't want to. They simply move on to other games. JJ should have learned that from the last round fiasco, but he did not.
You can't force, but you CAN promote it! That's what SMR is all about! Please, if you don't like SMR the way it was intended to be played, do what you said and MOVE ON TO ANOTHER GAME. Like it or not, this game is about WAR. Not solo traders. And, despite your claim a large chunk of the playerbase agrees with you.. I'd claim an even larger chunk of the playerbase agrees with me! War is what this game is about... and war is interactive. 3 of the 4 major alliances have already engaged in war like activities.. 1 has not. Need enough evidence that the majority of the playerbase wants interaction and NOT what you and your silly solo traders want?
Green Skulls, Crimson and Clover, Army of Cuda, Suckas, Armory, Armory v2, Green Skulls, Lords of the Pings, Green Skulls, Ingenious!
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

id I just read that right? Holti, you said that you do NOT want player interaction? And that several other players agree with you???
Please, if you don't like SMR the way it was intended to be played, do what you said and MOVE ON TO ANOTHER GAME.
Welcome to the world of "we didn't the read the post, just went :D for the hell of it". My post stated "There's little player interaction because a big chunk of the player base does not want to interact. We had a super small map last round, and with the exception of JJ's alliance, everyone stopped playing. We had a bigger map, and had enough people to form four alliances, but three of those alliances struggled with getting enough people to op" No mention that this was the game I wanted. As those who ran in alliances with me the past 1.5 years can tell you, I was the only player that showed up for every op, no matter what time it took place. That holds true to this day.

I stated what I observed in the last two rounds. Last round we had one active alliance, the rest didn't do anything, and I know Jester and I both tried to get people to op that round. We tried changing to a bigger map, but other than Aurora, the alliances have again struggled to get enough people to show for an op. Eye has opped two times against another alliance that I've seen, each time they were under 10 players. Jester had more luck, being able to op three or four times against Aurora. But though he had 10 or 11 the first time, he was down to only 7 or so that last time. That is a simple observation, whether you like it or not. The game JJ wants would be best served by splitting those that enjoy ops and hunting only into two alliances, and yes, most of those were/are in Beer Garden/Aurora.

Small maps didn't work. Large maps helped a little, but the issue that players do not want to op remains. Until that is fixed, or enough new players who enjoy opping/hunting to form two opping alliances are brought in, the game JJ wants will not happen.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Holti wrote:
id I just read that right? Holti, you said that you do NOT want player interaction? And that several other players agree with you???
Please, if you don't like SMR the way it was intended to be played, do what you said and MOVE ON TO ANOTHER GAME.
Welcome to the world of "we didn't the read the post, just went :D for the hell of it". My post stated "There's little player interaction because a big chunk of the player base does not want to interact. We had a super small map last round, and with the exception of JJ's alliance, everyone stopped playing. We had a bigger map, and had enough people to form four alliances, but three of those alliances struggled with getting enough people to op" No mention that this was the game I wanted. As those who ran in alliances with me the past 1.5 years can tell you, I was the only player that showed up for every op, no matter what time it took place. That holds true to this day.

I stated what I observed in the last two rounds. Last round we had one active alliance, the rest didn't do anything, and I know Jester and I both tried to get people to op that round. We tried changing to a bigger map, but other than Aurora, the alliances have again struggled to get enough people to show for an op. Eye has opped two times against another alliance that I've seen, each time they were under 10 players. Jester had more luck, being able to op three or four times against Aurora. But though he had 10 or 11 the first time, he was down to only 7 or so that last time. That is a simple observation, whether you like it or not. The game JJ wants would be best served by splitting those that enjoy ops and hunting only into two alliances, and yes, most of those were/are in Beer Garden/Aurora.

Small maps didn't work. Large maps helped a little, but the issue that players do not want to op remains. Until that is fixed, or enough new players who enjoy opping/hunting to form two opping alliances are brought in, the game JJ wants will not happen.
This is where you actually have to lead, you don't ask people to op, you say we are opping at these potential times and that is that. If you leave the option of letting people do what they want then what exactly are you leading. Not to sound crass or anything but leading takes a bit of being a jerk to do it, you have to have the ability to say no you are opping you aren't trading some bs food-ore route. I think this is where the line is drawn here. Case in point last game when I wanted to take me serg orca and bouncer and join GIA to help train the newbs I was told no, now I wondering if that was even put to a vote or if it was just you that said no and nothing else.

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Get more people to try the game. Of those that try it, encourage them to keep playing. This is the only solution to get the game everyone wants. Forcing the few who remain to play one way or another is a losing proposition.
that which pods you makes you stronger
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Harry Krishna wrote:Get more people to try the game. Of those that try it, encourage them to keep playing. This is the only solution to get the game everyone wants. Forcing the few who remain to play one way or another is a losing proposition.
True, though we both know there are certain aspects of the game that are exciting help sustain new players. Most of those aspects are combat oriented.

Sufex
Quiet One

Post by Sufex »

Holti wrote:

You know what you were implying.

And as a leader, it is your job to show up to ops YOU call..

NP -=Shadow=- SF LB Crusaders Armory Armory V2 GS
Naeblis
Quiet One

Post by Naeblis »

If as Holti claims a significant proportion of the player base wants no interaction the game might as well be shut down. It is doomed to failure with such a mindset. Why waste the time and money?
Master of the lightenings, rider on the storm, wearer of a crown of swords, spinner-out of fate. Who thinks he turns the Wheel of Time, may learn the truth too late.Galactic Vampire