New Dawn - Initial Impressions

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Holti
Quiet One

Re: New Dawn - Initial Impressions

Post by Holti »

Case in point last game when I wanted to take me serg orca and bouncer and join GIA to help train the newbs I was told no, now I wondering if that was even put to a vote or if it was just you that said no and nothing else
Shame on you, JJ. You know that those negotiations were with Kerius, who led that round, and not I. You know that Kerius made the final decision based on his discussion with people in GIA that round, or your memory is really, really bad.
You know what you were implying.
And as a leader, it is your job to show up to ops YOU call..
Shame on YOU, Sufex. You know I have not led alliances for a year and a half. You know that I was in Beausoleil's alliances for several rounds, starting in Oct. of 2010, and I was in Edgecrusher's alliance for a couple of rounds. In all cases, I showed up in every op. Beausoleil even commented on that in the Well Done thread after that first round I played in his alliance. In fact, one of those times I was in Beau's alliance, it was a round where you led an alliance - that went inactive. I even sent you an encouraging message after the round was over saying that I respected that you played with honor, and hoped you would try leading again.

Now let's look over this - Sufex, Seldum, Pierce, Jester, Edgecrusher, and Harry have all struggled to get enough people to op over the past few rounds, including this one (though it has been more active than the last couple) - well, hell. Let's be honest. We've struggled to have two active alliances since summer of 2011. The last time I remember having a really active round, where we busted planets back and forth and even had a fleet fight or two, was when I was in Beau's alliance last spring or so, and Kinky led the opposing alliance (I still remember her telling Beau to keep his hands off her planets).

You can blame me for the death of SMR, it's actually kind of cool to be considered the wicked witch. But you're ignoring the real problem, and because of that, the game will not be fixed. You'll have what you've seen in the past few rounds, and continue to complain about it.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Kard wrote:The map isnt the problem. The problem is it takes 8+ people to bust anything, and it takes 12+ to bust large planets. Other then JJs alliance where he has a large portion of the communities remaining vets, all the other allliances have 12-15 vets that op. So in order to op anything big, we need 70% or more to not have work, family or liesure in order to bust. In order to hit a planet, you need 90% or more. The player base isnt big enough to allow that right now.

The map is fine. In fact, between Azools map and this one, they are the only 2 maps that were any good in like 8+ rounds IN MY OPINION, which im entitiled to. If we scale back the numbers need for an op and scale back alliance cap, i think we would be fine.

Lets get one thing straight as well. This round, is and always has been, and will continue to be, FAR more active then the last 3 small maps. This round, there are at least 4 alliances with planets and minefields. Each alliance has built routes, busted ports, and planets. I will guarantee 4 or more alliances will continue to do all these things. So how can you say its the map JJ.

The main issue is JJ has an agenda, and its to promote smaller, tiny planet gal connected by one neutral connected to 8 racials, fed hunting maps. He will say anything to promote this agenda.

JJ, what are you comparing your statements about this map on? You say this map didnt work and now we all know big maps and small turns doesnt work etc etc. Well, compred to what? Compared to SM? Compared to SMR 8 years ago? Then ya, the game isnt succeeding. But, compared to the last 10 maps, this one is the most active. Name me one other map where 4 alliances busted planets, ports and built minefields in the last 10 maps.

That being said, this map is EXACTLY the direction SMR needs to go. Big map, small turns. Maybe next round, we can have 5, or 6 alliances.

At the end of the day JJ, you have 3 other targets with planets and minefields. Players are sleeping in each of those gals on planets. If you are bored and want interaction, go clear a minefield(on your own, stop hiring other alliances), go bust a planet, kill the sleepers parked on it, restock it, and defend it. Take over the entire game map.

Adress the things that have been mentioned JJ to prove that this big map and small turns didnt work. Come with facts and points. Does this map and round have more players moving outside of fed? Does this map have more people parking on planets? Does this map have more people in things other then trade vessels? Is the active player base larger then the last 8+ maps?

The answer is Yes, Yes, Yes. and Yes. If you dont believe me, im sure page has figures on all the ships people are flying and where they are sleeping, and how many players were active at which weeks in each round. Comparatively, your statements are all inaccurate and untrue JJ. I know its your opinion, and yes you are entitiled to it, but usualy opinions dont go directly opposite to the facts.
Sorry accidentally deleted this, so I reposted your post.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Kard wrote:The map isnt the problem. The problem is it takes 8+ people to bust anything, and it takes 12+ to bust large planets. Other then JJs alliance where he has a large portion of the communities remaining vets, all the other allliances have 12-15 vets that op. So in order to op anything big, we need 70% or more to not have work, family or liesure in order to bust. In order to hit a planet, you need 90% or more. The player base isnt big enough to allow that right now.
The map is part of the problem, yes you are correct it takes too many people to op, but that is also due to the fact that you spend 50 turns getting somewhere and 15 turns every time you uno, the map is set up for defense not offence, the only problem is SF is inactive now so they didn't defend.
Kard wrote:The map is fine. In fact, between Azools map and this one, they are the only 2 maps that were any good in like 8+ rounds IN MY OPINION, which im entitiled to. If we scale back the numbers need for an op and scale back alliance cap, i think we would be fine.
This would work only if the code was changed to scale back things.
Kard wrote:Lets get one thing straight as well. This round, is and always has been, and will continue to be, FAR more active then the last 3 small maps. This round, there are at least 4 alliances with planets and minefields. Each alliance has built routes, busted ports, and planets. I will guarantee 4 or more alliances will continue to do all these things. So how can you say its the map JJ.
Kard don't let the numbers fool you just because there are more alliances doesn't mean the game is more active, this may have been the case if people didnt go inactive after the fatigue of clearing NPC mines/busting NPC planets.
Kard wrote:The main issue is JJ has an agenda, and its to promote smaller, tiny planet gal connected by one neutral connected to 8 racials, fed hunting maps. He will say anything to promote this agenda.

JJ, what are you comparing your statements about this map on? You say this map didnt work and now we all know big maps and small turns doesnt work etc etc. Well, compred to what? Compared to SM? Compared to SMR 8 years ago? Then ya, the game isnt succeeding. But, compared to the last 10 maps, this one is the most active. Name me one other map where 4 alliances busted planets, ports and built minefields in the last 10 maps.

That being said, this map is EXACTLY the direction SMR needs to go. Big map, small turns. Maybe next round, we can have 5, or 6 alliances.
What agenda do I truly have, the map layout is ok but needs work, not once have I said I want a super small map.
Kard wrote:At the end of the day JJ, you have 3 other targets with planets and minefields. Players are sleeping in each of those gals on planets. If you are bored and want interaction, go clear a minefield(on your own, stop hiring other alliances), go bust a planet, kill the sleepers parked on it, restock it, and defend it. Take over the entire game map.
This is my plan, SF is done being busted anyways. Also you mean 2 other targets, and your alliance is newbies so 1 other true target...
Kard wrote:Adress the things that have been mentioned JJ to prove that this big map and small turns didnt work. Come with facts and points. Does this map and round have more players moving outside of fed? Does this map have more people parking on planets? Does this map have more people in things other then trade vessels? Is the active player base larger then the last 8+ maps?

The answer is Yes, Yes, Yes. and Yes. If you dont believe me, im sure page has figures on all the ships people are flying and where they are sleeping, and how many players were active at which weeks in each round. Comparatively, your statements are all inaccurate and untrue JJ. I know its your opinion, and yes you are entitiled to it, but usualy opinions dont go directly opposite to the facts.
You want facts, ok name me any other alliance that has busted someone elses planets besides mine. I know crusaders busted a rock in your gal but it was a tiny rock that was busted with 7 people, that doesn't exactly count. Any other op has failed because people spend way too many turns getting to others and then unoing, as noted above this map is perfect for defending which is actually Jester's agenda the only problem is his alliance got tired of playing with NPC mines/planets and went inactive. Sure there are more people outside of fed but they aren't doing anything so that doesn't really make a bit of difference if they are in fed or on planets, they are still doing nothing. As for the active player base there are more players sure but they aren't doing much except sitting or being inactive. I think one thing would have changed this game entirely and that is the elimination or weakening of NPC mines/planets. Page actually can back up my statements more than he can back yours up.

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

You want facts, ok name me any other alliance that has busted someone elses planets besides mine
19/2/2012 4:20:56 AM Gatlin (185) was destroyed by (fo.o)f(#1904)'s planetary defenses in Sector #1904.
12/2/2012 5:56:31 AM Lupin III (19) was destroyed by Atlantis(#1992)'s planetary defenses in Sector #1992.

both of these belonged to Aurora at the time they were busted, both Gatlin and Lupin III are in SF.

Those are just the ones were the planet killed someone. SF busted others of yours or took back what you took, but no one died. Those don't show up in the permanent news feed.

The only alliance that has not attacked another alliance in this round is GIA, in part because Maddy changed his mind about leading two weeks in, and we drifted until I took over (though I did not want to lead, I was already burned out on it, but no one else stepped forward until Sunday evening when ACD asked if he could lead next round).
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Holti wrote:
You want facts, ok name me any other alliance that has busted someone elses planets besides mine
19/2/2012 4:20:56 AM Gatlin (185) was destroyed by (fo.o)f(#1904)'s planetary defenses in Sector #1904.
12/2/2012 5:56:31 AM Lupin III (19) was destroyed by Atlantis(#1992)'s planetary defenses in Sector #1992.

both of these belonged to Aurora at the time they were busted, both Gatlin and Lupin III are in SF.

Those are just the ones were the planet killed someone. SF busted others of yours or took back what you took, but no one died. Those don't show up in the permanent news feed.

The only alliance that has not attacked another alliance in this round is GIA, in part because Maddy changed his mind about leading two weeks in, and we drifted until I took over (though I did not want to lead, I was already burned out on it, but no one else stepped forward until Sunday evening when ACD asked if he could lead next round).
Ok they did take one rock but it was in the wrong gal and they died a bunch to it without restocking, that really isn't a profitable op. Honestly I had forgotten about that op, but beyond that one op they haven't done much, they did more when they were busting NPC rocks than anything else. The 19th was a failed attempt to retake a rock with 7 which isn't a good idea to begin with. That goes back to the point Kard made which I actually agree with that busting things has become too hard.

RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

So basically... from this NPC planets/mines were a bad idea... or so i've been told...

And yet, now that they have all been taken (or most of them), the round has ground to the usual halt...

What I get from this is people enjoy attacking NPC planets and taking the territory is fun.... everything else sucks ;)
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

RCK wrote:So basically... from this NPC planets/mines were a bad idea... or so i've been told...

And yet, now that they have all been taken (or most of them), the round has ground to the usual halt...

What I get from this is people enjoy attacking NPC planets and taking the territory is fun.... everything else sucks ;)
Or like I said, people got fatigued from busting things that didn't bust back. Trust me I bet your alliance would be active still if you spent all those NPC ops on busting alliances instead.

Sufex
Quiet One

Post by Sufex »

Holti wrote:
You know what you were implying.
And as a leader, it is your job to show up to ops YOU call..
Shame on YOU, Sufex. You know I have not led alliances for a year and a half. You know that I was in Beausoleil's alliances for several rounds, starting in Oct. of 2010, and I was in Edgecrusher's alliance for a couple of rounds. In all cases, I showed up in every op. Beausoleil even commented on that in the Well Done thread after that first round I played in his alliance. In fact, one of those times I was in Beau's alliance, it was a round where you led an alliance - that went inactive. I even sent you an encouraging message after the round was over saying that I respected that you played with honor, and hoped you would try leading again.

Now let's look over this - Sufex, Seldum, Pierce, Jester, Edgecrusher, and Harry have all struggled to get enough people to op over the past few rounds, including this one (though it has been more active than the last couple) - well, hell. Let's be honest. We've struggled to have two active alliances since summer of 2011. The last time I remember having a really active round, where we busted planets back and forth and even had a fleet fight or two, was when I was in Beau's alliance last spring or so, and Kinky led the opposing alliance (I still remember her telling Beau to keep his hands off her planets).

You can blame me for the death of SMR, it's actually kind of cool to be considered the wicked witch. But you're ignoring the real problem, and because of that, the game will not be fixed. You'll have what you've seen in the past few rounds, and continue to complain about it.
Actually, I figured you were the only one active enough to lead.

And I had forgotten about the round I was leader. But I assume that the reason it went inactive is because the game did.

What would be the real problem?

NP -=Shadow=- SF LB Crusaders Armory Armory V2 GS
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

And I had forgotten about the round I was leader. But I assume that the reason it went inactive is because the game did.
No, actually that was the round where Beau's alliance dominated, in part because your alliance went inactive. We had a pnap early in the round, and Voss violated that pnap while you were fixing your car. You came on later to see people throwing a fit over violating the pnap, and said that Voss had indeed violated the pnap, and Beau's alliance did have a right to respond and bust some of the planets. I respected that, and that was why I sent you a message after the round ended telling you that I respected how you led the alliance, and hoped that you would lead again.
The real problem is that many people do not op, as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. As Kard mentioned, most have jobs, families, other activities, live across the Atlantic and not willing to op in the wee hours of the morning. Some just like to trade and that's all they're going to do. Sure, we can kick them from the alliance for not opping, but that makes the alliance smaller, have less cash, and causes many hard feelings. Has Naeblis forgiven Seldum for kicking him from the alliance a couple of rounds ago, for not showing up at ops? Case in point about hard feelings.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Holti wrote:
No, actually that was the round where Beau's alliance dominated, in part because your alliance went inactive. We had a pnap early in the round, and Voss violated that pnap while you were fixing your car. You came on later to see people throwing a fit over violating the pnap, and said that Voss had indeed violated the pnap, and Beau's alliance did have a right to respond and bust some of the planets. I respected that, and that was why I sent you a message after the round ended telling you that I respected how you led the alliance, and hoped that you would lead again.
The real problem is that many people do not op, as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. As Kard mentioned, most have jobs, families, other activities, live across the Atlantic and not willing to op in the wee hours of the morning. Some just like to trade and that's all they're going to do. Sure, we can kick them from the alliance for not opping, but that makes the alliance smaller, have less cash, and causes many hard feelings. Has Naeblis forgiven Seldum for kicking him from the alliance a couple of rounds ago, for not showing up at ops? Case in point about hard feelings.
Holti as much as I see your alliance on I think you could op more, I bet if more ops were called more people would show, and making it apparent that you are opping or trading money for the alliance or mining as your only options. The problem is you have a team but you have too much solo mentality within it, hense why you have people blowing turns on killing bots same thing with SF. If people want to kill bots and run around solo they should do that alone without being in an alliance taking up valuable vet cap space. Like I said earlier you have to sometimes be a jerk to run an alliance, and honestly I would take 50 newbs willing to learn over any vet who thinks they can just do what they want when they want.