What's the status of SMR?

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

What's the status of SMR?

Post by Jester- »

I'm geniunely curious how the game is doing right now. It seems dead with no real activity to revive it. Are we leaving it to fade into nothing. I haven't seen anymore talk of advertising. The new facebook cover art was nice, but I still think we need a way to add a quick shot of new blood into the game. As I haven't seen a post here since Aug 17th I guess that's a sign.
seldum
Beta Tester

Re: What's the status of SMR?

Post by seldum »

A lot of work is being done behind the scene. The player base is definitely the smallest it has ever been. Hopefully we will be rolling out with the new changes in the new year which should help us with our goal of retaining new players. New players quit because the game looks old, the learning curve is steep, and the current players do not make an overall positive effort to retain them. Old players quit mostly because gameplay is often one sided and stagnates very quickly. The changes in process and proposed currently will help to correct all these issues.

What we need now is to stay the course and wait for our new release. Have fun this round and lets hope it stays competitive to the end.
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

It's the old hold your knees and hope for the best routine?
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

Jester- wrote:It's the old hold your knees and hope for the best routine?
No, we've actually started developing a business plan and making serious headway on some coding changes. This is not going to be like throwing darts at a wall and hoping we hit, although clearly there will be some luck involved. The more people like you that get involved with the process, the better off our chances are.
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

Coding changes and game changes are great. The core of the issue here is that we need a way to get players in and retain those players. Does MrSpock have a genuine interest in keeping this going and growing?
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

Jester,

I cannot speak for Spock, but I can say that my fellow admins and I do have a desire to keep the game going. Jouldax and Estoy have been working on the business plan, because both have a financial background. I'm doing what I can to make us more visible on facebook, and helped to develop the newbie game so newbies and rusty returning vets can practice before going against more seasoned vets. Advertising plans have been discussed once we roll out the SMR overhaul in January.
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

Holti thanks for the quick layout of those plans. My meaning is this; if Spock does not help the game grow then how can we keep hope to keep this up? He owns the servers, the code and the rights to the game. We need some kind of participation from MrSpock.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

Jester- wrote:Holti thanks for the quick layout of those plans. My meaning is this; if Spock does not help the game grow then how can we keep hope to keep this up? He owns the servers, the code and the rights to the game. We need some kind of participation from MrSpock.
You're absolutely right. He has been involved somewhat so far in the process, but I think it will be make or break it time soon for him (and the game) once we finish polishing up a gameplan for him to follow. I know he wants to grow the game, but I think he's waiting to see what we present him with before acting.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Jester- wrote:He owns the servers, the code and the rights to the game.
He only "owns" a portion of the code nowadays (the copyright of at least) as most has been rewritten/added over the years so would be owned by whoever wrote those parts, however since it is open source it is possible for anyone to use the code as long as they follow the license. As for rights to the game, I'm not sure quite what you mean by that? After all SMR itself is based on SM :P
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

Well as far as this game goes he owns the hardware and has all the say. If it dies I don't see anyone picking this up.