XDemonX Mini-Game Discussion

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: XDemonX Mini-Game Discussion

Post by XDemonX »

Shady_FA- wrote:
Incognito wrote:
Shady_FA- wrote: 5) I'm a bit worried as to how late game money will go once all 5 guys start planet busting and such.
I think that is part of the strategy, knowing how much you can spend or when to spend it.
Right but I think once people are out of money, they will probably just quit. Similar to real games. And I think the chances of people going broke are more likely than in a regular game since there will be less people in alliances and less people that could effectively manage an all ikky alliance fund (since it's pretty much agreed that Ikkys are harder to money manage then any other race). So yes while I agree it's a good idea strategy wise...in order to keep the game active I think I'd rather see more money in general. But I know that detracts from the skill.
True, but this is why it is a mini-game and not ran as a main round. People will get frustrated. Ikky is not a easy race to play. But running this mini-round if people get frustrated they still can go back to the main game. This is a just a way to mix things up and possibly add something to increase activity for the playerbase.
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
Shady_FA-
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Shady_FA- »

I was just thinking mini games would be fun and not as strenuous as a regular game. I like the idea I'm just not sure if others will. It seems like a if you die early you're screwed kinda game and if they quit and go back to the regular game then the minigame wouldnt be as fun for the people actually playing it. I get why you'd want more strategy, but I think this is more of a real game idea than a mini-game. When I think of mini games I think of stuff like mario party style games. The problem is finding the right balance between fun and strategy.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

Shady_FA- wrote:I was just thinking mini games would be fun and not as strenuous as a regular game. I like the idea I'm just not sure if others will. It seems like a if you die early you're screwed kinda game and if they quit and go back to the regular game then the minigame wouldnt be as fun for the people actually playing it. I get why you'd want more strategy, but I think this is more of a real game idea than a mini-game. When I think of mini games I think of stuff like mario party style games. The problem is finding the right balance between fun and strategy.
Yeah finding the right balance is difficult. For me personally a game that is "Strenuous" is fun. There use to be solo games (1 person alliance) and wingman games (2 person alliance) and all those turns into were inactive stat padding games, multiple people were trading 500k+ exp.

No matter what, you won't be screwed from the get go if you die. A alliance doesn't have to do much building all round and could potentially win. If people go inactive, then the game will be won faster and the game will end faster.

Also, as people go inactive new alliances can form. Maybe a team that started as 5 has dwindled down to 3. The 12 hour leave/join period is just to prevent people from doing joint planet busts and just rotating people in and out of their alliance.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

Interesting concept game. I like it. My thoughts:

1. # of planets will depend on # of sectors
2. Will be hard to implement as a mini-game since planet sizes cannot be altered between games (working on db segregation)
3. Will need a lot of quality routes, especially since PRing isn't really an option
4. Will need strong evil routes to make giving up the HHG a fair trade-off
5. Game speed should be at least 1.5 since the MS is slow as balls
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

jouldax wrote:Interesting concept game. I like it. My thoughts:

2. Will be hard to implement as a mini-game since planet sizes cannot be altered between games (working on db segregation)
3. Will need a lot of quality routes, especially since PRing isn't really an option
1. Agree
2. Addressed planet size in post already. Planet size is irrelevant, once they get to a certain point they will be unbustable.
3. Disagree. We want people fighting over routes. This is a highly team based round. I don't intend this round to last months. I want money to be a struggle. Strategy will have to be used in how people will want to build their planets since money will be a factor. Especially with 40% increase in profit already, I don't think routes need to be buffed on it.
4. Evil goods are already strong enough.
5. Agree, but careful not to be too fast. Remember this is a mini-game not a main game.
Astax
SMR Coder

Post by Astax »

I don't know if this is best forum for this discussion.

Regardless, you do not need to code work around, once i finish my code and we manage to merge it into the main branch there will be room for smaller planets in the planet type table. Though the galaxy generator will have to be recoded to handle different planet types, otherwise you would have to adjust planet type manually via the database.

Basically you can have a smaller planet type, call it a moon or asteroid, which only supports say 10 generators 20 hangars 5 turrets, or whatever. And then make sure all planets in the mini game are of this type.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

XDemonX wrote:
jouldax wrote:Interesting concept game. I like it. My thoughts:

1. Agree
2. Addressed planet size in post already. Planet size is irrelevant, once they get to a certain point they will be unbustable.
3. Disagree. We want people fighting over routes. This is a highly team based round. I don't intend this round to last months. I want money to be a struggle. Strategy will have to be used in how people will want to build their planets since money will be a factor. Especially with 40% increase in profit already, I don't think routes need to be buffed on it.
4. Evil goods are already strong enough.
5. Agree, but careful not to be too fast. Remember this is a mini-game not a main game.
My thoughts on 2 are I'd love to see us be able to put in smaller planets and have them be bustable by 5 MSs. Would add another element of strategy

On the route front, you have to take supply/demand into account. People will not want to play the game if all they can trade is a 1x. People need to feel like they can at least be competitive

Evil routes alone are not necessarily a strong enough trade-off to be worth giving up the best weapon to shoot Ikkies with.
Incognito
Quiet One

Post by Incognito »

So here is a summary of what XDX and I have been looking at so far:
Race: Ikky only (this goes for ships and weaps, with the possible exception of the HHG and Nuke)
Game Speed: 1.5
Galaxy: Single large neutral (20x20) with all Feds. Connectivity about 15-20%.
Ports: 90 ports, 10 per level (subject to change)
Planets: 9 planets, all start at level 0. These will be spread out randomly.
Alliance size: 5 members
Win condition: First alliance to own 5 level 20+ rocks for a week.

Yes, planets will reach a point where they are unbustable. That is the point. This will (hopefully) cause other alliances to work against each other to prevent a planet from reaching an unbustable state. This is also why we are thinking are only 9 planets in the game. This keeps planet contention high.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

jouldax wrote: On the route front, you have to take supply/demand into account. People will not want to play the game if all they can trade is a 1x. People need to feel like they can at least be competitive

Evil routes alone are not necessarily a strong enough trade-off to be worth giving up the best weapon to shoot Ikkies with.
There should be contention for routes, that way you can work together to have a hunter keep a good route clear for your alliance to trade, or go and trade it regularly, as soon as there is supply, or just trade a slightly worse route (seriously, a perf 3x is not as terrible as people always make it out to be nowadays..)

I think the PPL is meant to be the best in MS vs MS, at least when it got tested years ago.
jouldax wrote:3. Will need a lot of quality routes, especially since PRing isn't really an option
PRing will definitely be an option for money, although it isn't particularly good for exp, but to combat that you can easily just trade an exp route for a while to get the same exp as you would have whilst trading a money route.