What color do you associate with each race?

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Astax
SMR Coder

Re: What color do you associate with each race?

Post by Astax »

No.... should be:
Creonti <- Orange
Nijarin <- Orange/pink

They look distinct on ym monitor. But u are right the hex values are close FF8000 vs FF8080
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

You may want to use rgb instead hex color code. RGB does use a few more characters then hex but it also allows you to use opacity. so instead of #FF8000; use rgba(255,128,0,1); and for #FF8080; use rgba(255,128,128,1); This way at a later date if someone wants to add a little transparency to the color then it will make it easier. If you are worried about older browsers then use rgb(255,128,0) then when everyone stops worrying about why a few players will not update to a free browser like firefox or chrome that can handle the rgba it will be a lot easier to update the css to allow transparency if needed.

Just a thought for making thing easier in the future.
Astax
SMR Coder

Post by Astax »

Right now there I see no reason to add transparency, I have tons of other stuff to do first. But I can add it if we need it later. The actual values are only used in weapon list and soon ship list. The rest will be hard coded in graphics, so those graphics can be altered to add transparency. I do want to add a background to ports that will be the color of the port's race. Will transparency help there? Probably not cause it's a background, but we'll see.

Reason I used hex in first place is that it was easy to do both html and use paint.net.

Also I added Neutral Color to the fed... Might change it later if we want Fed to have their own color.
Astax
SMR Coder

Post by Astax »

Speaking of above, would you guys find the following a bit ummm too annoying to look at:
port_color.png
That is Creonti port
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

I agree with the graphics besides transparency can be done from the css file without having to change the image. All I was getting at was to have a common format in the css file. Look at the smr pages some of the styling is done within the html tags instead of within the css file. So changing things later becomes a big deal but if it is all in the css and the format is the same then changes become easy. As far as background colors and/or images you can have multiple backgrounds so using some Opacity can add some cool effects.

Anyway just adding my two cents!
Astax
SMR Coder

Post by Astax »

Oh the color is actually stored in the database, so change it there it will change it everywhere.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

You should not put any color code in the database. All styling should be in the css file like font type, size, color. Right now I am typing this from my kindle so it is a pain. I will post again in the morning. There are more reason to not put styling in the database then there are to put them in the database. I will list some of those reasons in my next post then after that I will stay out of it. Lol
Astax
SMR Coder

Post by Astax »

Ok I moved it to CSS, I'll leave a copy in db just for reference.

Also added CSS for background color in the sector map. Should make it easy to tell race of port on map without MGU. And we can replace it from background color to simple background image once we come up with a nice image of port for each race.

Here is an Ikky port next to WQ HQ.
port_color2.png

I'm thinking about adding black outline for the letters on beacons. Should make it more distinguishable. What do you guys think:
Not outlined:
beacon_wq.png
Outlined:
beacon_wq_outlined.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Looks good I like the new port icons. Also thanks for using CSS file, now years from now someone will come along and will be able to change the styling without having to get access to the database. Thanks!
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

You can see the colors in the politics page. I was about to type up my own color scheme, but might as well be consistent with the pictures.

Nij - Green
WQ - Blue
Alskant - Yellow
Creo - Red
Human - Black/Grey
Salvene - ?
Thev - Orangish?

(btw, I am partially colorblind, so I might not be the best person to make this list :P)