New Icons WTF

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
canff
Beta Tester

New Icons WTF

Post by canff »

Ok really I know someone worked hard on this but .... Pink ish and hard to read...are we trying to push more people away from the game?
Astax
SMR Coder

Re: New Icons WTF

Post by Astax »

Which Icons are you specifically referring to? There was plenty of notice about the new stuff. Tell me which do you find hard to read and what size of display and resolution do you have.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

canff wrote:Ok really I know someone worked hard on this but .... Pink ish and hard to read...are we trying to push more people away from the game?
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

The Alskant icons are a bit harsh on local map. Those are the only ones that I've really had a good look at. I dig it though, and it's not crazy abrasive.

But I'm also using Freon22's layout. Not sure if that affects things at all.
Astax
SMR Coder

Post by Astax »

Tru that. I am going to add a preference option to just go back to the old icons for those people who don't like it. But u have to wait till Spring break. Also you will be able to change icons using CSS only, so you can make them into giant dildos for all I care.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Astax wrote:Also you will be able to change icons using CSS only, so you can make them into giant dildos for all I care.
:lol:

giant dildos :lol:

lol anyway back in 2010 I did a few tutorials on how to make your own css file and change the layout colors. I only did 4 tutorials because it did not seem that many players want to mess around with the css. They much better like to complain then to try and work with you to make it better. The tutorials are still on the web board and here are the links if anyone wants to change things up.

http://smrcnn.smrealms.de/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10801
http://smrcnn.smrealms.de/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10802
http://smrcnn.smrealms.de/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10805
http://smrcnn.smrealms.de/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10808
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

Freon22!

we need new look SMR these icons arent cutting it your work is amazing we need to get it finished what has to happen?
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Well like any program be it desktop or website you have the front end and the back end. The front end crew does the display and graphics. The back end crew does the coding and database. It is very hard for one person to do both because both sides of the program takes a lot of work. Right now there is only a few of us doing smr coding and we are all doing our own thing and not working together. As for me I stopped, I was working on RCK Players Profile display. When I seen Astax working on the database I watched to see if the updates he was doing would still fit into the new display and it does. But when I seen work being done on the display, now I am thinking that all the work that I have done was a waste of my time. That smr is keeping it format and just changing up some colors and icons.

Now if this is NOT true and smr is wanting to update its look and code. I think that Page, Astax, Myself, Spock, and RCK if he is available and even Azool and Curufir if they could get them back should work as a team. All of those guys can work both ends without anyone getting burnt out. Because think about it that is always what happens you get a coder work him doing it and that then everyone is telling him they don't like what he did here or there. Anyway that is the first part get a team together even if it is only two or three.

Next part get the players involved, if they don't want things changed then there is NO POINT. Have them visit the new login page, the new current sector page, the new players profile page. They can see them all at http://freon22.jamwick.com/IndexPage.html . Then they need to give their opinion on what they think. Now you have a coding team and you have the players being involved.

Last part get a team of players for beta testing. Start small get the new login page working in beta. There maybe some bugs, some of it may need to be changed. After that is working move to current sector page, I am sure it will be buggy. Then the players profile page. You do everything one step at a time when EVERYTHING is complete and tested. You move it over to the main server and have a BIG roll out game.

So I have lay'ed it out there now it is up to the Admins, coders, and players to say if it is going to happen or not.
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

After I got used to the new look, I must say that I like the new icons/color scheme. But I'm a highly visual female who isn't colorblind. I find the blue/red color on the ports really help me become a better trader.
Astax
SMR Coder

Post by Astax »

Thnx Holti, I appreciate your feedback. I will add black border around the beacon text to make it easier to read, to address some complaints.