XDemonX's Continuous Update Discussion

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Re: XDemonX's Continuous Update Discussion

Post by JettJackson »

XDemonX wrote:
JettJackson wrote:
XDemonX wrote:Aender,

Multiboxing only needs one computer. What it does is overlays 2 browsers so whenever you click on 1, you click on the other.. instantly. So it would be like everything you do has double the impact. So you might be putting in a lot more skill and effort to use 2 hands to play.. other people like me, would just take the easy way and download the multibox program and be much more effective as i'll always have 2 ships doing the same exact thing at the same exact time.

There are a lot of issues with this that will come afloat. I would prefer this to be done via coding but any coding changes won't happen in the current version.
A code change that could be implemented would be a cooldown period between the accounts of 30 minutes. That could eliminate multiboxing in a hardline fashion. I don't think it would be necessary though with what I outlined above.
Good point JJ. As long as possibly you or someone else is willing to put in the effort to monitor this I don't think it will be an issue.
It isn't hard it would take maybe a half hour assuming 30 accounts gain multis.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Aendar
Quiet One

Post by Aendar »

Multiboxing only needs one computer. What it does is overlays 2 browsers so whenever you click on 1, you click on the other.. instantly. So it would be like everything you do has double the impact. So you might be putting in a lot more skill and effort to use 2 hands to play.. other people like me, would just take the easy way and download the multibox program and be much more effective as i'll always have 2 ships doing the same exact thing at the same exact time.

There are a lot of issues with this that will come afloat. I would prefer this to be done via coding but any coding changes won't happen in the current version.
I have never heard of multiboxing. But offcourse, that indeed is a lot easier :D

BTW We are 10 days into the new game and what kind of bothers me is money. We are 10days into a game that is supposed to run for 2 months, alliances made enough money for average of more then 30+mil/person. Thats just too much. It makes me wonder why admins even bothered pulling up the price of an FU. It only took 1 day longer to get the money to get a FU.

Maybe getting way lower profit would also slow down opping and would allow for alliances to do more planet building ops in the beginning. I know profit has been discusses earlier but after starting up from scratch for the first time, I really feel the profit gains are waaaaay of.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

Aendar wrote:

I have never heard of multiboxing. But offcourse, that indeed is a lot easier :D

BTW We are 10 days into the new game and what kind of bothers me is money. We are 10days into a game that is supposed to run for 2 months, alliances made enough money for average of more then 30+mil/person. Thats just too much. It makes me wonder why admins even bothered pulling up the price of an FU. It only took 1 day longer to get the money to get a FU.

Maybe getting way lower profit would also slow down opping and would allow for alliances to do more planet building ops in the beginning. I know profit has been discusses earlier but after starting up from scratch for the first time, I really feel the profit gains are waaaaay of.
I 100% agree with you Aender. Admin team actually discussed the price of FU and decided to actually REDUCE it. Kind of funny that a new player can come in and point this out as a problem right away. Money use to be a lot more difficult to get.. When you were flying a FU your entire alliance knew it and other teams knew it.. it was fun to fly and even more fun to kill someone who is flying one. Between the buff of trading profit and the MASSIVE amount of cash received from port busting, money is never too much of an issue anymore.

On the other side of the coin, money has been an issue in the past and has prevented alliances from even having enough to get a new ship after a pod.

I personally think ships should be a lot more expensive than they are. This would promote people to use to smaller ships to do things rather than everyone is in a top racial after 1 week. There is zero pride in trading money for a ship because I can trade for 1 day and get the top ship my race has to offer.. Trade a few days and I can get the money expensive ship in the game. Should be something like this:

Traders stay the same
Hunters = 100% price increase
Top Racials = 500% price increase

"But Demon, ~50m for a top racial?!?! you are stoooooopid"
More time will be spent trading, galaxy building and route building. With top racial increasing in price people won't be able to planet bust so quickly. If I am a leader and top racials cost 50m each, I am slowly working my way up to be able to port raid, to be able to build a route and get more money.. I have always been against how easy it is to get end game stuff.. More people will be using smaller ships to do things such as clear, 1v1 ect. Top racials shouldn't be the ship you are in 99.99% of the game. A lot more strategy will be involved... which.. smr is a strategy game.
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
Aendar
Quiet One

Post by Aendar »

XDemonX wrote:
Aendar wrote:

I 100% agree with you Aender. Admin team actually discussed the price of FU and decided to actually REDUCE it. Kind of funny that a new player can come in and point this out as a problem right away. Money use to be a lot more difficult to get.. When you were flying a FU your entire alliance knew it and other teams knew it.. it was fun to fly and even more fun to kill someone who is flying one. Between the buff of trading profit and the MASSIVE amount of cash received from port busting, money is never too much of an issue anymore.

On the other side of the coin, money has been an issue in the past and has prevented alliances from even having enough to get a new ship after a pod.

I personally think ships should be a lot more expensive than they are. This would promote people to use to smaller ships to do things rather than everyone is in a top racial after 1 week. There is zero pride in trading money for a ship because I can trade for 1 day and get the top ship my race has to offer.. Trade a few days and I can get the money expensive ship in the game. Should be something like this:

Traders stay the same
Hunters = 100% price increase
Top Racials = 500% price increase

"But Demon, ~50m for a top racial?!?! you are stoooooopid"
More time will be spent trading, galaxy building and route building. With top racial increasing in price people won't be able to planet bust so quickly. If I am a leader and top racials cost 50m each, I am slowly working my way up to be able to port raid, to be able to build a route and get more money.. I have always been against how easy it is to get end game stuff.. More people will be using smaller ships to do things such as clear, 1v1 ect. Top racials shouldn't be the ship you are in 99.99% of the game. A lot more strategy will be involved... which.. smr is a strategy game.
Exactly!!

I feel that if money was earned at only 1/4th of what we had now, we wouldn't have this easy plant bus discussion on this map as no alliance would be able to do a planet op because of the lack of money. Which means by the time you are able to bust planets, planets will be at least lvl 35 (or more) thus getting two planets in one op wouldn't be possible. Its still not as though as you would like it Demon, but at least landing on a planet is really worth taking the risk then.
Siege
Admin Emeritus

Post by Siege »

TJ is a damn genius.
Member of far too many to name, here are the main ones : The Edge, The Forsaken, S.P.A.M. , Anla'Shok, Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Lead/colead : The Edge, Adult Swim, EPIC, Quiot Riot, Cereal Killers.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

So here's the problem -

Every time I've recommended a change to drag out the early stages of the game, it gets shot down. Traders complain it's boring, oppers don't have the patience, only the hunters are happy. In my racial evolution game, I suggested locking everyone into the racials for an entire week to force conflict. I got such blowback (A WEEK?? ARE YOU CRAZY) I stopped suggesting such things a long time ago. It makes too much sense to extend each phase of the game.

WITH THAT SAID

If there is constantly a top vet/hunter alliance, they will dominate every game. Furthermore, smaller alliances, like new kids this game, will never be able to get any traction because they'll keep dying and never be able to really make enough money to do anything. Again, sadly, it all comes down to the player base.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

jouldax wrote:So here's the problem -

Every time I've recommended a change to drag out the early stages of the game, it gets shot down. Traders complain it's boring, oppers don't have the patience, only the hunters are happy. In my racial evolution game, I suggested locking everyone into the racials for an entire week to force conflict. I got such blowback (A WEEK?? ARE YOU CRAZY) I stopped suggesting such things a long time ago. It makes too much sense to extend each phase of the game.

WITH THAT SAID

If there is constantly a top vet/hunter alliance, they will dominate every game. Furthermore, smaller alliances, like new kids this game, will never be able to get any traction because they'll keep dying and never be able to really make enough money to do anything. Again, sadly, it all comes down to the player base.
This point about constantly being a top vet/hunter alliance that dominates every game I will argue that this falls back on whoever is leading. Look at this way, if you're a player you join the game and most likely you just lean towards an alliance because that is what you did last game or someone messages you to join. A player will not join the game and be like "Hmmm which team should I go to make it more balanced". It is the LEADERS job to recruit. I guarantee there was no effort on (this is just an example) CIA's side to recruit any of the top players. If you, JJ Holti or ACD would have messaged me and been like "Hey Demon, could you join us this game? I think it would make it more competitive". Then I would have joined no problems. I can safely say Bouncer would have done the same.

The point I am making is effort needs to be made in recruiting. Do not expect people to equal out alliances themselves. This is why I am pushing for a draft game because that effort is clearly not there. Azn and I did put effort in to messaging players asking them if they wanted to join us which is why they're with us. None of them said "Well.. Jouldax asked me first..." People don't care who they play with, they just want someone to tell them who to join.

I agree alliances like new kids on the block will not gain traction. I would recommend increasing alliance cap. For example, right now clearly CIA is not winning this game. I would be for raising the alliance cap and having new kids on the block join CIA. Will this make a difference? maybe, maybe not. But this way CIA could potentially compete big time with another 5-10 players joining their alliance and could make the game fun for new kids on the block.

Situations like this should be done each game as this will add new life into the game once an alliance clearly has the upperhand.
Holti
Quiet One

Post by Holti »

Due to the constant criticism and being told I am bad for the game, that the game is dying solely because of me, despite my attempts to engage players in making maps, talking with Spock to get things done, etc., as an admin and encouraging new players to stick with the game as leader of CIA, I will no longer be playing Classic SMR. xDemonx and AZN can have their happy dance now. According to them, the game should flourish now.

I'll help Aendar with the Newbie game, and I will help Astax get his new code up (by constantly prodding Spock to get the code uploaded).

I've had enough.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

Holti wrote:Due to the constant criticism and being told I am bad for the game, that the game is dying solely because of me, despite my attempts to engage players in making maps, talking with Spock to get things done, etc., as an admin and encouraging new players to stick with the game as leader of CIA, I will no longer be playing Classic SMR. xDemonx and AZN can have their happy dance now. According to them, the game should flourish now.

I'll help Aendar with the Newbie game, and I will help Astax get his new code up (by constantly prodding Spock to get the code uploaded).

I've had enough.
Holti,

You are taking this the wrong way. I am NOT saying in any way you're bad for the game. In fact I think you're helping the game out a lot. Your guys' op numbers are even greater than ours.

JJ messages us at least every game saying WE are ruining the game because we stack our alliance with the top players. I am also responding to Jouldax's comment which is referring to the same thing. There is no reason to take this the wrong way.

Again, do not quit. You leaving the game will hurt the game. I nor Azn will be happy if you left the game. I do NOT think you're bad for the game. I am in no way singling you out that you are the reason the game is going downhill.
jouldax
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by jouldax »

Your post is misleading, however, and poorly worded if not also off base. People play with who they want to play with. Sure, you would join us on occasion to make the game more competitive. However, people want to play with their friends. We recruited people we wanted to help, for example. I can't take that away from anyway. Furthermore, what you're basically suggesting is a draft round every game. We really only have enough players to field 2 competitive teams with large alliance caps. The game, however, will get very stale very quickly with just 2 teams competing, even if you swap players between rounds. The REAL solution, which would go against my first point, would be to cap teams by HoF ranking. For example, Team A can only have 3 players of point score >A, 5 players from A-B, etc. This would force teams to disband and try new combinations. However, all of this is essentially moot anyhow given the lack of new players and the current player base.

And for the record, in terms of the longevity of this game, I think Holti has done probably the best job I've seen in cultivating old vets or newbies and getting them interested.