Why don't we have an integrated forum?

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Why don't we have an integrated forum?

Post by XDemonX »

This is one thing that bothers me tot his day. It doesn't make sense why we have a separate entire website for our forums with separate logins.

http://www.phpbb.com/

This is just an example of how easy it is to do it. I think it is worth investing a few hours to do this. Forums are a main piece of how people share ideas, talk strategy, recruit.. They can be quite powerful.

Astax I'm looking at you, hunny.
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
MrSpock
Newbie Spam Artist

Re: Why don't we have an integrated forum?

Post by MrSpock »

It certainly is on the list of features nice to have. To be fair it's pretty much down on that list. Near the bottom, actually.
So feel free to help out and send in a github pull request.

SPOCK
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your trader will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the creator of SMR.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

MrSpock wrote:It certainly is on the list of features nice to have. To be fair it's pretty much down on that list. Near the bottom, actually.
So feel free to help out and send in a github pull request.

SPOCK
Thanks for the response Spock. It is always great to hear from you once in a while!

It is unfortunate that this request is so far down the list. Forums are a crucial part of many games especially ones that are turn/time based such as this one. Getting the community involved can lead to a lot of added value for the game. Some examples alone is feedback needed for map changes, code changes and other implemented features. I constantly post different ideas on the forums but the admin team can only give so much feedback that it would be nice to get input from other players. Whenever I try to reach out to other players to post or use this webboard the responses are the same "I don't remember my login" or they are bitter about having to login to a totally different website. It is very rare that you see a totally different website/login for a forum than the main game.

I've discussed this briefly with Astax. He plans to use an integrated forum on his new SMR so I am hoping he develops it then tests it on main game so it can be a shared process.
MrSpock
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by MrSpock »

The reason for it being low priority is quite simple: Without a game thats being played we don't need a forum.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your trader will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. We are the creator of SMR.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

MrSpock wrote:The reason for it being low priority is quite simple: Without a game thats being played we don't need a forum.
We still have 40+ active players. Retention may be a bit higher with the use of forums. It gives a way for players to communicate, read, recruit for alliances, learn ect while they're waiting for turns. The game isn't going to just one day have 1000+ active members. We have to start somewhere.
Aendar
Quiet One

Post by Aendar »

MrSpock wrote:The reason for it being low priority is quite simple: Without a game thats being played we don't need a forum.
Honestly, this is kind of an answer that sustains itself in a circle.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

I'd brought this up years ago, it was looked into, but wasn't feasible at the time.

One of those 'nice to have' but not critical things.
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

Lets pull the plug then!