Demon's Power Hour

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
silverx2
Quiet One

Re: Demon's Power Hour

Post by silverx2 »

Aendar wrote:goodbye 300mil minefield in one hour...

Sure would be a shame if people actually had to play against other people instead of turtling.

You know what would be just as good as this power hour? Removing mines from the game.

I would say 95% of the reason I don't play actively anymore is that the thought of 1.)having to spend a days worth of turns seeding a mine field and 2.)having to clear mine fields in order to do the MOST fun part of the game. Make me not even want to login.
i killed orca.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

silverx2 wrote:

Sure would be a shame if people actually had to play against other people instead of turtling.

You know what would be just as good as this power hour? Removing mines from the game.

I would say 95% of the reason I don't play actively anymore is that the thought of 1.)having to spend a days worth of turns seeding a mine field and 2.)having to clear mine fields in order to do the MOST fun part of the game. Make me not even want to login.

I understand your point silverx2, but you gotta understand without mines it gives no protection and no reason to land on planets. The only counter to this would they would need to make planets level 70 again so they're extremely difficult to bust. Otherwise.. you give 10 people 600 turns to just trot in and start busting a level 45 and it is a piece of cake.

Mines also give protection to people trading in the planet galaxy otherwise enemies can trade it or hunt it. Whenever we have a game where unos are everywhere and mining is just not worth it then no one lands. In my thinking, I would prefer to have a game where I have to spend time clearing mines instead of having a game where all you do is bust empty planets.
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
Rosen
Quiet One

Post by Rosen »

I like your comment about this being a draft game addition. That's something I could support for sure.
adam_phg
Quiet One

Post by adam_phg »

Think this sounds good. Though I do not like the idea of wasting 300mil in mines without a real repercussion of turns as it takes today... that just costs the miner another 300mil
For the glory of Ayock!
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

adam_phg wrote:Think this sounds good. Though I do not like the idea of wasting 300mil in mines without a real repercussion of turns as it takes today... that just costs the miner another 300mil
This will be an issue if we keep moving the times around. If we get those weird times where only a couple euro players are on they could demolish entire mine fields. Though they could do this now every other day with 600 turns in a fast ship so no difference there.

You gotta remember this is only 1 hour if your alliance has 300m+ minefield and cannot coordinate a few people on to defend that minefield during power hour then that is your problem. I envision this to pretty transparent of when power hour is. It won't be some random event where no one has time to react. I am sure admins can do some quick datamining to find the most active time(s) and then deliberate when it is best. It doesn't really seem to make sense to make the power hour at a time where historically we have maybe 1 person on at that time.
silverx2
Quiet One

Post by silverx2 »

XDemonX wrote:
silverx2 wrote:

I understand your point silverx2, but you gotta understand without mines it gives no protection and no reason to land on planets. The only counter to this would they would need to make planets level 70 again so they're extremely difficult to bust. Otherwise.. you give 10 people 600 turns to just trot in and start busting a level 45 and it is a piece of cake.

Mines also give protection to people trading in the planet galaxy otherwise enemies can trade it or hunt it. Whenever we have a game where unos are everywhere and mining is just not worth it then no one lands. In my thinking, I would prefer to have a game where I have to spend time clearing mines instead of having a game where all you do is bust empty planets.

I understand that, I just miss the days when if one alliance started opping the other alliance started actively defending.
i killed orca.
adam_phg
Quiet One

Post by adam_phg »

XDemonX wrote:
adam_phg wrote:Think this sounds good. Though I do not like the idea of wasting 300mil in mines without a real repercussion of turns as it takes today... that just costs the miner another 300mil
This will be an issue if we keep moving the times around. If we get those weird times where only a couple euro players are on they could demolish entire mine fields. Though they could do this now every other day with 600 turns in a fast ship so no difference there.

You gotta remember this is only 1 hour if your alliance has 300m+ minefield and cannot coordinate a few people on to defend that minefield during power hour then that is your problem. I envision this to pretty transparent of when power hour is. It won't be some random event where no one has time to react. I am sure admins can do some quick datamining to find the most active time(s) and then deliberate when it is best. It doesn't really seem to make sense to make the power hour at a time where historically we have maybe 1 person on at that time.
but the point, for example now with our alliance having many european, and yours none, you'd outnumber us 9 times out of 10 during power hour ...
For the glory of Ayock!
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

adam_phg wrote:
XDemonX wrote:

but the point, for example now with our alliance having many european, and yours none, you'd outnumber us 9 times out of 10 during power hour ...
The idea would only work if there were 2 separate power hours otherwise it is just imbalanced. I do think it is an interesting idea however.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Aendar
Quiet One

Post by Aendar »

Silverx2,

imho the reason why one alliance isnt counteropping the other is mainly due to the lack of players. If players decide not to play because of the lack of players....

Also,

i think this round has proven that this round turling is all but happening even with mining.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

I would stress that this idea would be used in a draft game to start.

This would have to work three ways.

1) Admins would have to pull data to see which times are most active on the server and pick TWO times with consideration of euro players for 1 of the times and US players for the other time. These times would potentially rotate every week or if everyone enjoys power hour that much it could happen twice a week.

2) Each alliance picks a time. For example, game starts on Sunday, the first week there is no power hour. Team 1 submits power hour time by Saturday and the time is announced Saturday. Power hour happens the following Saturday. During that Saturday is when Team 2 submits their time and the time is announced and it keeps rotating like that.

3) Each week it is shifted by +8 hours. This ensures it is around everyone's time zone.