Demon's Power Hour

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Demon's Power Hour

Post by XDemonX »

Demon's Power Hour

The most fun in the game is when 2 alliances happen to be opping at the same time. It is really the only time a lot of people are active. What if we had a "power hour" where turns were unlimited for that hour. We would need to discuss. Maybe make it a weekly event during the week say a Wednesday at 8pm EST. I know this is unfair to a lot of Euro players but it seems around 8-9pm EST is when the servers are most active. This is something that I would look forward to each week.During that me and my alliance could discuss how to get the most out of that hour. Maybe we might go do some clearing, maybe we will do some trading. There is a lot of possibilities to what we could do in an hour with unlimited turns.

In previous games there has been discussion about alliances planning to op at the same time so they get the most action possible. This would be a similar situation but with the addition of unlimited turns even players that are not in a big alliance may login to try to trade, hunt or whatever they want to do. I personally would LOVE this style of play because things will be a lot different with unlimited turns on how people move.. especially if we get 20-30 people on it will be INSANE.
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
Incognito
Quiet One

Re: Demon's Power Hour

Post by Incognito »

I like the concept. It would add a lot of depth to ops. How would the hour be picked though? If one alliance has members that can be on at that time, then they are almost guaranteed to dominate that round. With the playerbase spread across the globe, finding one time that would work for everyone will be tough.

If possible, I don't think trade ships should be included. If there is a decent jump route, someone can make a ton of exp in a single hour. Of course, you can argue that the amount of exp is limited by the goods, but that depends how the turns are granted in the game. If the game speed for the power hour is increased to give unlimited turns, then the restock rate for goods would be extremely high, giving unlimited resources available. On the other hand, if you want unlimited turns without changing the game speed, then we'd need some way to separate turns from the game itself, like removing turn cost for actions.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

The time slot is the biggest issue for this idea which is why we need the discussion.

Also another hurdle is the coding issue. In a perfect world for that hour, ports would be disabled. My first initial thinking was trading could be fun but the problem with timing hurts. People who cannot get on at that time would be severely hurt.

My only real suggestion around this issue without having a huge coding issue is maybe have the "power hour" at different times each week. Because this would have to be a manual process to start anyways I can't imagine this would be a problem. If the time moves.. say.. +4 hours or something like that each week then eventually, it will hit everyone's sweet spot and at one week or another everyone will be able to enjoy the power hour. The problem I see with this is still the trading issue... though everyone will get their chance to trade, I am afraid the potential 100k+ boost that is possible from the power hour will outweigh every other activity that everyone would just use it to trade.

Is it possible for admins to make ports "disappear" during that hour? I am not sure if this would be a big manual process or if admins can simply delete all ports then after the hour re-load them into the game. Also another issue with this if game speed gets drastically increased during this hour is bond times and planet building.
Incognito
Quiet One

Post by Incognito »

It's pretty easy to delete all the ports in a game. But we wouldn't be able to bring them back exactly as they were (no save and reload, at least not on our end). The info might be saved on the db somewhere though.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
Aendar
Quiet One

Post by Aendar »

goodbye 300mil minefield in one hour...
Rosen
Quiet One

Post by Rosen »

hello mined galaxy in an hour.
Rosen
Quiet One

Post by Rosen »

if ports aren't removed, hello super route creations
Rosen
Quiet One

Post by Rosen »

hello unlimited bonding
Rosen
Quiet One

Post by Rosen »

Aendar, you say goodbye I say hello
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

Rosen wrote:hello unlimited bonding
This is my biggest concern to why it would cause an issue to temporarly increase speed.

Rosen wrote:if ports aren't removed, hello super route creations
I am not too concerned by this, you gotta remmember its a power hour potentially once a week. An hour isn't that much time. I would venture to guess with the speed of current port raids it would maybe grant an extra 600 turns. We oppped a planet the other night with big force scans. We were moving as fast as possible at the end of an hour we still had 200 turns. Granted the faster people such as me JJ and bouncer could of maybe cut the time down in clearing by 10 minutes you are still slowed down on big raids by your slowest moving person.

Because of lack of targets at times, I don't want alliances to push to get 10+ on then not have anything to do. At least they could port raid for cash.
Aendar wrote:goodbye 300mil minefield in one hour...
Rosen wrote:hello mined galaxy in an hour.
Exactly this. My issue with this though, it is a lot easier to clear than it is to mine. Mining requires seeds and seeds are hard to get but also you gotta remember there will potentially be a lot more people on with unlimited turns for that hour to defend their minefield.

Overall what I am trying to do is promote activity and make people think and play the game differently. If I am leading an alliance where the Power Hour function happens once a week, I am giving everyone who can make the power hour strict instructions on what to do during that hour. I would like to see this type of feature to be introduced in a draft game. My reasoning behind a draft game is hopefully the 2 leaders will be smart when drafting and get a well diversed team that can get decent numbers whenever the power hour is. In a regular game, I would be afraid the game would get stacked with one power alliance that gets 10+ on every power hour and no one else can manage to get 5+ on.