Trade-Master needs changing

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Page
SMR Coder

Trade-Master needs changing

Post by Page »

I think most people are agreed on this and i was wondering what would need changing
I'm alskant this game and im using a PSF instead of ATM because I'm evil (evil is designed for traders ive gathered from so many arguments about evil/good purposes) and in an ATM i can have 74 CDs i think, maybe its 49, not sure, but anyway that cuts down a lot on defence especially if i hit mines, and theres no bonus to trading as exactly the same trade potential although minor advantage to ATM if the routes are far away but if you got to spend turns getting CDs all the time then thats negated and more, its not like the damage they do is any help, a traders not gonna win against a hunter just because of a few CDs.

Maybe just changing it so theres an option to set CDs as purely defence and takes 24 hours to change or something and they have 4 defence and dont fight so they dont count as attack rating, that would really help alskants, evil or not. And maybe optiom for them to not hit mines which could help hunters too because i know when i was hunter i didnt want to lose CDs to mines but in a MS that could be too overpowering so maybe not the thing about mines.
Jez
Quiet One

Post by Jez »

Why not just lose most of the CDs and bump the defense? Or just trade normal goods, I did fine this game doing just that. ;)
Gaah
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

My point is that its the Trade-MASTER, its meant to be THE BEST trader in the game, at the moment its joint best, and if youre evil to get the extra goods and normally better routes then its actually 2nd best trader in the game so that definitely means something needs changing, what does Alskant have going for it?
Peace? No.
Weapons? No.
Warbirds? No.
Top Trader? No.
Basically theres no reason to be Alskant over one of the other races, if you want to be a trader why not be salvene or creonti? They get more peaces so you can trade more/better routes and with just as good a ship.
Jez
Quiet One

Post by Jez »

Nono let's just get one thing straight. When it comes to pure trade potential the ATM is THE best ship. There is no argueing that. You're complaining it has lower defense sure, but it's still the Trade-MASTER to put it in your own words. Sure if you calc out turns*holds the PSF and ATM are equal, but the matter of the fact is that the more non-trading moves you make or the more sells/buys you make compared to trading moves the better the ATM is compared to the PSF and you will always make non-trading moves or spend turns selling/buying. So you think it needs to be able to keep more defense while doing illegals that's fine. I disagree, I think it's okay that if you want to trade illegals you sacrifice a little defense, but please cut the it's not the best trader rant.
Gaah
Thauglor
Quiet One

Post by Thauglor »

Instead of improving ATM I think PSF should lose 25 or 50 holds
The almighty Thauglor
Lords of Melnibone

HoA, DS, UT, TC, TE, TSM, DD, DEATH, SP, DC, Virus, MH
Mar
Quiet One

Post by Mar »

I agree with thauglor, put PSF at the same trade capacity as IST. 550 holds would be perfect.
=)

It takes one to be one!
Jez
Quiet One

Post by Jez »

I just think people need to stop wanting to change everything in this game in one go. If that is done the game will be horrible to play. Change for the sake of change is bad. Besides the original topic was not about changing the amount of holds on any ships.
Gaah
Prince Valiant
Admin Emeritus

Post by Prince Valiant »

well its not going in this game
I am the calm before the storm, The second before the crash.
Space Merchant Realms Administrative Team
Vtreka
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Vtreka »

I agree that Thauglor has better idea, drop 25 to 50 CD's but I recently came upon what might be a better idea.

It was pointed out that in Alskant's description that they quickly gained peace with all the races to gain their technology and be the best traders of all of them. Why not have alskanties start the game at peace at 500 relations instead of war with everyone? That would make the hands down the best traders without having to change a thing.
Founder of: Death Control, Life Control and The Order
Member of: DK, CM, EdL, Northstar, RR, FTV, FI, SPB, TD, LoM, LB
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

Vtreka wrote:I agree that Thauglor has better idea, drop 25 to 50 CD's but I recently came upon what might be a better idea.

It was pointed out that in Alskant's description that they quickly gained peace with all the races to gain their technology and be the best traders of all of them. Why not have alskanties start the game at peace at 500 relations instead of war with everyone? That would make the hands down the best traders without having to change a thing.
waaaaaaay too big of an advantage, that would be very unbalancing in the crucial initial phase of the game. The alskants could trade sweet outer galaxy routes for at least 500 turns with no competition. Not good.

Something along the lines of a trading advantage has been discussed before, but I can't remember what came out of it.

How about if they were offered perfect prices at something lower than 1000 total relations?