EXP updating every 5 mins

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
PaTer
Quiet One

Post by PaTer »

Page make a new help file and I'm sure Nariis will add ASAP. There is lots of other tips and info on WebBoard. There is also a #smr-help channel.
"Evil and good are God's right hand and left."
-Philip James Bailey
z-money
Quiet One

Post by z-money »

just because people read the manual, and i doubt that most people do, doesnt mean that they'll necessarily listen to it or understand what it means. the maual also says:

7. Don't trade when there are a lot of known hunters online...

and it implies that you're never safe when you're trading.

the only thing i'll say about this is that, like a lot of people, i think that if a trader has the advantage of using a program to find routes, they should also suffer the consequences of being able to be quickly found using the same program. as it is, the ease of finding a route on SMC is balanced out by the ability of hunters to find those routes by tracking, but now the advantage will be totally on the traders' sides. i didnt actually read the whole thread so i could be uninformed, let me know.
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

PaTer wrote:Page make a new help file and I'm sure Nariis will add ASAP. There is lots of other tips and info on WebBoard. There is also a #smr-help channel.
I'd love to write one but the truth is I am useless at avoiding SMC hunters...
The only reason I have had high exp for 2 games in a row through trading (and not even trading that often) is because I'm fast and manage to avoid almost all hunters just through that.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

z-money wrote:just because people read the manual, and i doubt that most people do, doesnt mean that they'll necessarily listen to it or understand what it means. the maual also says:

7. Don't trade when there are a lot of known hunters online...

and it implies that you're never safe when you're trading.

the only thing i'll say about this is that, like a lot of people, i think that if a trader has the advantage of using a program to find routes, they should also suffer the consequences of being able to be quickly found using the same program. as it is, the ease of finding a route on SMC is balanced out by the ability of hunters to find those routes by tracking, but now the advantage will be totally on the traders' sides. i didnt actually read the whole thread so i could be uninformed, let me know.
.....and what about all the new players who have no clue what SMC is? It is not part of SMR, it is not available through the game. The suggested changes would make hunters work harder as well as going a little way to levelling the playing field towards newbies - both good things IMO.
z-money
Quiet One

Post by z-money »

the newbie galaxy levels the playing field for noobs, and most probably know about SMC by the time they become vets. if you search for space merchant on yahoo, the SMC page is on the first page that comes up. lotus offers the download on his site. people talk about it on #SMR. people offer downloads of it on this webboard. even if SMC was never officially a part of SMR, it has become part of it just through its widespread use. it's like getting a walkthrough for some PC game off the internet, except now we're making so that it's useless for some percentage of the people who print it off. either way, it's kinda cheap, but if you're gonna have it, you might as well make available and useful to everyone. trading is easy enough as it is. i dont like SMC, but i dont think that this is the best solution at all
Anx-
Quiet One

Post by Anx- »

Np Page, I am saying that it wont help them...
Save the whales, harpoon a fat chic
Zedread
Beta Tester

Post by Zedread »

What has been done with this is:
* Trades goes online and appears on CPL
now 2 options :
-Hunter goes right after and maybe traders gets scared
-Hunter waits for some exp change and then go after him

Well you killed option number 2 because with this change ppl will be able to trade and drain a route in less then 5 minutes leaving no chance to the hunter. Every trader must learn how to trade and not get caught. What you will have is those alliances very organized and with members full of time making huge maps of the routes last used by each trader leaving all other hunters without a chance to compete. Please Make traders learn to play this game, what ppl want is a easy way to trade and don't even bother in mastering a bit like laying singles in routes, trade local, have scouts in some important sectors... There are millions of taticts just apply them.

Another thing you can also say there are millions of ways to get the trader but when you don't know when he is trading and you have no scouts its kinda very hard to kill him. And most of the hunters don't have a DC with cloack to stay IS with him in fed...
Zedread
Beta Tester

Post by Zedread »

Now please don't destroy the game just because you want to trade easily. Remove the 5 min exp thing...
Zedread
Beta Tester

Post by Zedread »

What is see is a lot of ppl i know for several games saying this will surelly be a very bad implementation and that will ruin the game a bit. Admins do something about it please..
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

well first thing can i just say the implementation at the moment is 2mins, so youd have to be very fast trading to use all your turns, second things scouts give pings the second theyre run over. And thirdly to sort out the problem as to knowing whether a person is trading add a little star or some sign next to the persons name to show if theyre exp has changed since the last exp update, or maybe change colour of their name.