newbie alliances

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
z-money
Quiet One

newbie alliances

Post by z-money »

it seems like a lot of people from the newbie alliances still suicide on ports. i understand that it's not possible to completely prevent it, but i was wondering what kind of system there is for informing these people that that's not a wise move, and how they're taought about other facets of the game. like how often are the helpers online? etc.
Rosebud
Quiet One

Post by Rosebud »

how about the "are you sure you wanna do this" screen?
B.O.B. - Rosebud is one of craziest cool drunks I know.
smeghead

Post by smeghead »

It's Darwinian theory in action.

The smarter people read the boards and help, and take notice of the warning message, and then take note that even high level alliances still occasionally lose ships to ports.

The not so smart ones kamikaze on a port, die, and learn a valuable lesson.

Some people have to learn the hard way, and no matter how many warnings they are given will still push the raid button just because it looks shiny and purty.
Swagman
Quiet One

Post by Swagman »

lol @ Smeghead, nice explaination.... I think your right.... it's all to do with evolution 8O
Nix`
Quiet One

Post by Nix` »

Make it impossible for anyone with less then 1500 moves to raid anything ?
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

I say let em learn by podding on a port. You pod, you figure out why it happened, and you learn how to not do that again. Whether its the 501st turn or the 1501st, you gotta learn the ropes to get better.

It would help to have a decent newbie introduction and help section with practical instructions and tips. The current one offers some description of the screens and terms of the game but is not much help for actually playing. LotuS' site has better tips.

Also, everyone I talk to in the newbie alliances tell me that they get no help at all from their alliance leaders. This may not be true for all, but it is for the ones I spoke with. And the Newbie Helpers I've questioned have gotten no questions at all from the newbies, and feel it's a waste of time. I know this newbie helper program is new, but it seems not to be working.

At this point, joining an established alliance is still the best way to learn.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Target
Quiet One

Post by Target »

i think it would be interesting to know how often the newbie alliance leaders accually log in.

and the newbie helpers does not work because the only way for you to know who is a helper and who isn't is to see them on the cpl. perhaps we should have a list of the helpers as a default thread in each newb alliance's messageboard. and in addition assign newb helpers to each alliance. i don't mean have them join the alliances, but instead have a link where just questions are sent to them.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

I log into my newbie alliance every day. I send alliance messages. I post messages on the MB. I send alliance messages telling them that I post on the MB. I post alliance messages telling them that I am there to help them........

.....and I get no response. I am not going to put any effort into it if no-one is listening.
z-money
Quiet One

Post by z-money »

that's not really the best attitude to have in that situation. if you're not happy being a newbie helper, i'd be more than happy to take your spot, unless i'm not qualified, which may or may not be the case
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

you misunderstand Z. I have been trying, and I continue to try - but I can't give advice to people who are not even listening...........