Alliance Roster Size

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

If you cant get the players for an op you had best try recruiting some other players, maybe some active ones? Sure you can make the alliance size any size you want, it wont change anything if you keep recruiting the same players, sure you may get along, but are you able to op at the same time? If you cant get enough to op with a 30 man alliance then obviously you arent doing something right.

Smaller alliances make it possible to be a bit more picky with who is recruited, maybe some will recruit folks that will actually be able to op together?

That being said, how is this for a comprimise? Make the roster size 15 but allow 1 MOP. I know some of you will say that it wont do anything, but it will you get smaller alliances, who will be more active and be able to work independantly, but can team up for larger ops. It will also effectively double the number of alliances, adding more competition to the game.
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

Thinking that reducing alliance size will lead to a better distribution of vets is a fallacy - if necessary, established alliances will simply split into an operations alliance and a training & trading alliance. The key here is to find an ideal size that prevents mega-alliances and allows the major alliances to mount effective op's. 30 has worked pretty well IMO.
Trigek
Admin Emeritus

Post by Trigek »

As seems this is going to happen no matter what is said, can the admins atleast admit that the game needs to be scaled back with the alliance size limits.

Since alliance size is being lowered by 5/30, then should not planet defenses and port defenses perhaps be scaled back with it? Obviously drones can not be scaled back because that is delicatedly balanced with ships, not alliance size. But maybe shields? Scale back shields by 5/30*100 per gen, or to make a decently rounded number make gens hold 80 shields.
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

To: Trigek
Subject: thanks
just wanted to say thanks for trying to control the situation on webboard. it's all the people around me who keep up their great work.
smr lives through you!
SPOCK
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

Why? No more than 10 ships are engaged in combat at one time, true you see PB fleets of more than that quite often, but still, its not like you ever see 30 man ops, or even 25 man ops, the only thing that will change is that alliances will carry less dead weight and I think trying to make PB's even easier is silly, just recruit better
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

Warlock
Quiet One

Post by Warlock »

Why is it the 'retired player' is the only one in favor of this rediculous change?
Vladdy
Quiet One

Post by Vladdy »

I'd like to see alliances turned down to 25 as well..
Merchants Guide to the Universe
http://mgu.smrealms.de

Retired!!!
Masterblaster
Quiet One

Post by Masterblaster »

I dont get where these ideas comes from neither where they are discussed, prolly in those "admins tables" I read sometimes at login page.

I wonder how many players shows at those "meetings" and if beer and drugs are distributed in large quantity before they start.

Looks like it's always the voice of the few that goes through... I personally dont have enough time to read a newspaper on the WC cup guess for this game webboard... I just get in here when I hear "rumours" about these scary changes.

Alliance treaties not working it's enough to prevent big gangs or things like that. If this 25 idea came out due to DC strenght then you dont have to worry about that anymore.

I just say it's really sad have to leave 5 friends out coz it has "been decided" that (by who?)

Dont mess this game too much please... there are ppl playing it since many years, it's perfect and balanbced as it is... if you admins start messing it you'll end up with a dead game.

There's nothing more dangerous than a coder with lot of free time available and full access to a DB...
molti nemici, molto onore....
Shady_FA-
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Shady_FA- »

Can we have a vote on this at least?
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

Warlock, how many posting here arent in the top 5 alliances? Of course they arent going to agree with this, why would they when things are going rather good for them?

Remlak
Beta Tester

Post by Remlak »

id personally rather see alliance caps scaled back to 20, but im all for 25.

Besides, the game isnt just about ops. whoever it was that said INCREASING the cap would lead to less repitition couldnt be more wrong. No matter how many ops you do, it is still repititious, and ppl will still retire because of it. An interesting ideal of mine for the game would be something i like to call...Creativity. Learn it. Use it. Have fun with it. But dont cry because you now have less friends to be in an alliance with. You claim 25 man rosters will decrease Op chances...then do as omega suggested(and i stand with him)...'RECRUIT' new players that are active...geez

And changing the alliance cap dosnt change the 'spirit' of the game...it makes it more interesting

No matter what my critics say, change IS good...its the FEAR of the change that isnt.