Mines - The END.....

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Grey
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Grey »

When you have planets you want to defend them as best as possible. We have seen what a large fleet of ships can do many times, most recently Reinc busting Crus. It's only natural that you would want to put up as many mines as you possibly can to burn turns for the attackers.

With this setup it's hard to mine the planets without going into the big neutrals. The planet gals are too small and hold too many locations. If you're lucky you can put two stacks of mines between the warp and any given planet. Anyone would tell you that's too few to do anything.
castel
Quiet One

Re: Mines - The END.....

Post by castel »

LotuS wrote: So I am throwing in the towel at least till next game unless this mining of everything STOPS.
11/28/2004 3:32:14 AM ~Emerson~ was killed by LotuS in Sector #1086

Liar!!!! :evil:
Siege
Admin Emeritus

Post by Siege »

You guys are saying that mines are necessary for 'tactical' reasons, and I agree..But LotuS is saying that mining things such as DC, PPL..even CA..is over the line..Do I agree with him? To a certain extent, different circumstances call upon different required methods of play..Mining planet gals is a necessity for an alliance claiming territory, especially while your planets aren't big yet.. But we need to figure out something that will discourage people from mining key locations,etc.

It's been suggested in the past to try a map with neutrals, then planet gals connected to them.. Just like we have now..except to have all the neutrals connect to one hub gal that has all key locations in it... I dunno about this idea cause it would make it to easy for alliances that just want to sell weps and park in Fed..But I'm sure we could think of something else like this...
Member of far too many to name, here are the main ones : The Edge, The Forsaken, S.P.A.M. , Anla'Shok, Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Lead/colead : The Edge, Adult Swim, EPIC, Quiot Riot, Cereal Killers.
Grey
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Grey »

Mining CA or UNO is of the same reasons as mining your planets. More turns wasted for attackers since they'll need those locs cleared.

Mining UG, ships or weps is another matter. I know DC is mined down but that is because it's so near CA.
RedDragon
Quiet One

Post by RedDragon »

Ok been thinking about this - how about a warp fortress - basically it acts the same as a planet but stops all non-jumping ships from going through warp unless it is owned by their alliance.
It provides the protection that mines do (or even more protection) but it is a double edged sword it makes life a lot easier if you are trying to hold the galaxy for 36 hours to take a bond. It makes bonding a little more dangerous, and provides the protection the will reduce the need for expansive mining.

... /me waits for flaming
Siege
Admin Emeritus

Post by Siege »

I dunno really..I'd have to give the idea more thought..mines are still a necessary part of the game..but something this might be ok...
Member of far too many to name, here are the main ones : The Edge, The Forsaken, S.P.A.M. , Anla'Shok, Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Carnuth
Quiet One

Post by Carnuth »

omg i just said it twice, move essential shops further away from CA's, keep CAs far from warps, have more CAs- THERE! that cures all ills, big alliances keep their minefields, smaller players can get to the shops.
dawnrazors, shadow, system failure, cereal killers, death control, suckas, armory
Siege
Admin Emeritus

Post by Siege »

Carnuth.. I don't understand....

Travdan
Quiet One

Post by Travdan »

Actually Carn, that would just make it much much much easier to control the ENTIRE neutral galaxy. See, currently, it's only turns that prevent alliances to mine neutrals extensively. You put CA's everywhere and you're going to get much bigger messes.
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

Big messes = bad!
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC