GP

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
z-money
Quiet One

GP

Post by z-money »

forgive me if this is a tired subject, and no offense to the editors and writers because it's great that you guys are willing to put time and effort into the game like that, but it seems like the GP might be losing its entertainment value/validity/organization. I'm going to exaggerate a little bit here, but the way it looks now, it's just a bunch of poorly written, completely random blurbs, half of which have so little to do with the game that they're almost incomprehensible. A few of them have obvious grammatical mistakes, and half of them are only two or three sentences long.

My concern stems from the fact that I think the presentation of the GP could be a major selling point in the game. I imagine it would not be particularly difficult to organize it differently (i.e. different sections for entertainment, real news, fake news, etc.), and to actually have it function like a genuine online newspaper. Have it come out at a definite time on a weekly or biweekly basis, and maybe have a front page story dealing with actual events in the game, and links to other stories. Have interviews with successful players, editorials about alliance activity, and maybe a weekly round-up of game development ideas. Overall, I'd like to see the GP be a genuinely informative, entertaining facet of the game instead of the tacked-on, messy look it has now.

And for all those ready to flame me, I'm not really active anymore, but that might change in the next few weeks, so yes, I might be willing to be in charge of something like this.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

I was editor 2 rounds ago, stepped down because i didnt have alot of time..

Anyway, I tried some of these ideas, but none of them seemed to fly. Its hard to get writers to fill the few slots you do have for the GP yet alone sections.

Most alliances dont like to stare wins/losses.

While these are all good ideas, most of it would require new coding, and since we cant get a coder to fix the current problems, making additions is probably out of the question.

GP just isnt a "key feature"
Prince Valiant
Admin Emeritus

Post by Prince Valiant »

something for alpha im sure we can get curu to look at it
I am the calm before the storm, The second before the crash.
Space Merchant Realms Administrative Team
Bravado

Post by Bravado »

Well i've wrote some on the subject of UOA when something interesting happens about us (be it good or bad, we like to be honest about it).

Even though i'm leaving, i'll make sure someone takes up the role.
olaf the magical
Quiet One

Post by olaf the magical »

I will be writing an article soon.
DragonLancer
Quiet One

Post by DragonLancer »

OMG!!!!!! THESE ARE GREAT IDEAS, I CANT BELIEVE I NEVER THOUGHT OF THEM

o yea...i remamber my first issue of the GP i had everyone of these ideas....im not trying to be too much of a smartass here but i ask time and time agian for writers and ask big name players to do interviews and even ask big name players to tell a story from their vast experience.....they always say "im not much of a writer"

i like the idea of diff sections of the news paper...would help me organize way more...i would like to be able to have a STAFF of ppl who could do small things like edit articles and add color and stuff...but the EDITOR would have the last say in the matter.

i know one thing ppl dont like is the fact that they write an article and send it in and its done...they cant fix nething about it. I would like to see where you send your article in and it keeps it like a PM so you can mull it over and change it and resend it if you wish

I would also like to be able to have the ability to send messages to the staff of GP like alliance leaders do

I would like to have diff sections of GP that would be like when you push current edition you have diff sections you can click on...and i could update the sections indepently so that i could keep up with breaking news...the reason the GP is usually so far behind is i have to wait a month to have enuff articles to go to press

I would like a GP mail box where ppl can write letters to the editor and i can assign things to write about to different ppl...this way if somebody has the ability to write but doenst have nething to write about they can be given ideas.....believe it or not we have talented writers in the world of SMR and they cna come up with GREAT stories with a lil help

and as for gramatical errors....for the last 5 or so GP's i have ran them through Microsoft Office and deleted all errors so you are wrong there buddy...unless its in the name of the artcle lol....i tend to overlook errors there from time to time

I believe this is all i have to say at the moment but when i remember more i will be sure to post it...specially since someone seems interested in the GP for once...
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

I posted this over a year ago on a beta discussion thread. It's relevant here as well:

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:38 am Post subject: Galactic Post upgrade

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the new version of SMR, I'd like to discuss new features and changes to the ingame journal. This current one is painful to use and needs help.

1. Allow more formatting options. The paper generator does a lame job of formatting the html into a two column table and I have little control over how it looks, the order of the articles, etc. The editor should be able to have full control over the table, the number of columns, and article placement.

2. Add a message system for the editor to contact writers. Currently the Search for Trader option is all there is.
a) Change the list of the current writers so that the editor can click on a name and get the Trader info that you get from a Search for Trader search, or just have it open a message to the player right then.
b) Add a global message to all writers, accessed from the editor's GP options.
c) Add a message board for the editor and writers to use, accessed by a link on the GP options.

3. Fix some of the minor html errors in the editor's Hit the Press! interface.

Post by Trigek »

The fact that you have to apply to be a writer seems like a useless step to me that might prevent a few articles here and there. Just let anyone submit articles. If someone starts spamming just let an admin know.
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

To: Trigek
Subject: thanks
just wanted to say thanks for trying to control the situation on webboard. it's all the people around me who keep up their great work.
smr lives through you!
SPOCK
DragonLancer
Quiet One

Post by DragonLancer »

Thats a good point but i would still like to have a core team of writers.....those i can call on when needed...but i already stated that i would like a section where ppl can give ideas, even articles

i would really like to push editor assistants who can do minor tasks such as html coding and grammatical fixes.
Swagman
Quiet One

Post by Swagman »

Hey congrats on the latest GP, 3 nice articles, well written and full of humour, and graphical detail....

I like it.... more, more...