Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Trigek
Admin Emeritus

Post by Trigek »

The term slave doesn't refer to someone as a team member helping another team member, it refers to someone playing in the pure service of someone else. There is the fundamental difference between my scenario and the examples of good teamwork you are giving.
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

To: Trigek
Subject: thanks
just wanted to say thanks for trying to control the situation on webboard. it's all the people around me who keep up their great work.
smr lives through you!
SPOCK
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Some people here talk about how easy it is to slave trade. How it takes very little effort, if that is so then why over the last 10 game there has only been a handful of players that has gotten to 500k before the game ends.

I would think that if it was so easy then we would have tons of player at 500k by the games end?

Also someone here said something about geting their girlfriend to play and be their slave.

Maybe she will like the game, and if she is happy being a slave, then shes not like any girl I seen.
Last edited by Freon22 on Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thennian
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Thennian »

actually the reason most people havent done it is becuase the top alliances felt it was underhanded doing it that way. It takes away from the accomplishments of those that have actually traded real routes.

And its not that hard once you get going...u all talk about needing mine fields and planets and proper ports..but 75% of hte active player base has that if they are in a decent alliance.
BooRawl
Quiet One

Post by BooRawl »

Well the begining of the game most alliances are trying to establish themselves and trading for $. It is highly unlikely they would be spending 40 million on upgrading a port. With all the exploring going on it is highly unlikely they would be able to accomplish it. This expereince only helps one player at the sacrific of several players. Key is several players are sacrificing themselves to accomplish this feat.

Another key is the port has to co operate and upgrade the way u want it too or else you have thrown your money away.

With scouts at the begining of the game it is easy enough to hunt down the slaves, and the master which would be a little harder.

It is not the most effecient way for an alliance to gain experience a good 15 X 15 route is alot more benificial to an alliance and would change the game more drastically.

Basically the worst case senerio wouldn't change the game a bit, except one person with high experience, and I don't care if he is the best hunter the game has ever seen only gets the same turns as we.

You have missed the point slave trading is not effecient, at making money or experience a 15x15 route is better. I think they said players sacrificed there experience. I just taught a newbie how to slave trade and what it was. It cost eight count them eight extra turns for me to do this, every trade. I lost experience he gained. But it also cost us 8 extra turns to do this every turn and if you are jumping god only knows how many extra turns will be wasted. Oh the planet was one away from the port. and it cost us eight extra turns. Do the math this is simple.

No matter how good or high a cloaker is it he can not defeat two ships in the same sector unless he uno's often and they are slow.

As long as this is a turn based game i see no problem at all. I don't beleive the sky is falling even in the worst case senerio. Orca is bad enough where he is, but he can be podded and he knows it. Every time he fires on a ship he is risking a pod
Thennian
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Thennian »

id rather have an alliance with epople around 40-60k and one guy at 500k then an alliance all at 70k

Ive said this before and i think cloakers are overpowered in this game and i even went WQ this game to see how easy it was to pod people with a cloaked ship.

I think its really unbalancing to have someone have an uncatchable lead in exp a week into the game.
Souldiver
Quiet One
Location: orig. Hannover, Germany - now Chicago, IL, USA (go BEARS)

Post by Souldiver »

Thennian wrote: I think its really unbalancing to have someone have an uncatchable lead in exp a week into the game.
well, lemme ask a question then:

orca was in the lead almost from the day he started hunting (with me as his very first kill btw - a day before i personally saw him in fed in PSF ~lol~) ... so that was not the first week but still pretty early in the game ... and he had a high lead all the time by "just" killing almost all high exp traders ... and he was untouchable for all time in his DC ... so this - according to you - is unbalancing ... what will you do, prohibit hunting too ?!

i know that is not really your point ... but if you're talking of "unbalance", why not talking about hunters (if they're good) getting ALWAYS more exp than the best traders on a good route (only chance to catch up - as proved - is slave trading so far ... if you like it or not) ?!
Former Leader of *** Northstar ***, The Phoenix Federation (TPF), The Honorable Society (THS) & Legitimate Businessmen, member of Samurais, Space Vikings, CM, Armada, IOM, Ultra Blue, Crusaders - currently retired & living in an unknown parallel universe
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

Thennian wrote:I think its really unbalancing to have someone have an uncatchable lead in exp a week into the game.
This has never happened. I doubt it ever will. Souldiver is right, the early leads we see over and over are not from slaving.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Alucard
Beta Tester

Post by Alucard »

That's just it, it's almost impossible(not even DC/Forsaken could do it) to get a slave trader way higher in experience than others(EDIT: early on). Normally a vet alliance is concentrated on cash, not experience the first 2 weeks. Experience is a by-product of the few traders that are upgraded to IST's running the routes with better cargo holds. It's not unheard of for people to sit for 500 turns and then go trade. They also have too many people spending turns exploring to even find the galaxies...put stuff on the rocks, who's to say other people won't be looking for rocks themselves, firing on relatively weak rocks(or unlcaimed rocks), finding the goods and ruining it? Also, you just do not have the turn capacity to fully get 4-5 people (that is required) in decent traderships, sacrifice 3-4 of them for the sake of the 1....the money the alliance can make with all of them trading is just too great of an alternative.....so it just won't happen till late in the game....
Oldie..not a goodie :)
Former Member of (I won't remember everything):
Northstar Boot Camp, Northstar, SPB, Beyond Doubt, several others.
Trader by trade, Fighter by force, Planet Buster by necessity.
Trigek
Admin Emeritus

Post by Trigek »

Souldiver wrote:

i know that is not really your point ... but if you're talking of "unbalance", why not talking about hunters (if they're good) getting ALWAYS more exp than the best traders on a good route (only chance to catch up - as proved - is slave trading so far ... if you like it or not) ?!
There is a topic for that in the Questions forum. If that is how you, and most of LB it seems, feels then why don't you post about it?! I don't see any posts from you or LB in that thread.

People aren't mind readers, if you don't like something in the game you have talk about it. Make some kind of suggestion.
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

To: Trigek
Subject: thanks
just wanted to say thanks for trying to control the situation on webboard. it's all the people around me who keep up their great work.
smr lives through you!
SPOCK
Alucard
Beta Tester

Post by Alucard »

And Souldiver that's due to the hunters not having to spend as much turns and being in fast ships able to regain turns as they await people to come online to trade. In 500 turns in a PSF yes a good trader can gain like 20k-30k( just look at Trib ) and a hunter can get 15k or so in a day if he is successful in killing traders....but that's just it....it takes 4-5 DAYS to get that trader back up to 500 turns. A hunter can build it back up in 2-3 days. Also, if a hunter is unsuccessful, he just parks and tries again the next day or the day after....with 500 turns again. Now most hunters won't be able to keep up...but the top ones (Orca, Anx, Mar, etc.) can easily keep up with the traders and surpass them due to them gaining 10k a day off of 3-4 kills and max that a good trader in a PSF or IST in a regular route can gain is like 5-6k.

Now is this particular thing unbalanced? Yes it is....this game is made to be a trading game I think....therefore the traders should have the ultimate exp bonus options....however on the flip side anyone, and I mean ANYONE(just look at LotuS--j/k mate :) ) can learn to hunt..it just takes time (lots of it) and a decent teacher. So no arguement needs to start to change that :)
Oldie..not a goodie :)
Former Member of (I won't remember everything):
Northstar Boot Camp, Northstar, SPB, Beyond Doubt, several others.
Trader by trade, Fighter by force, Planet Buster by necessity.