wow hunters

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
BooRawl
Quiet One

Post by BooRawl »

Give WQhuman a cloaked hunter 600 armour and 600 sheild 4 hard pts 50 cds and 50 mines and 15 scouts.

Tweak the thevian to balance with WQ level 4 weapon maybe a little less sheild damage but more accurate
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

Purify wrote: two years ago hunters were using stats to track trader
s... now they have to use other methods like 'thinking more'
What "thinking more" do you mean. Anyone can follow a scout report. I remember a SM like Ascii game I played back in the days of 300/1200 baud. Hunting was a tad more difficult then as it is now. I don't even think scouts existed. People just went out and hunted the first mark that crossed their path sometimes following right behind a trader waiting for him to get fatter. When the mark was fat enough the hunter would pounce. Sometimes he would get 1 to 3 others and trap the poor slob in. Now that is playing.

These days if a trader triggers a scout you can bet that if that hunter is showing on the cpl the trader is gone. I don't know how many times I have triggered a scout a few times, dropped one of my own, then sat somewhere else waiting for my scout report to pop. One time the fool went right through the sector I was watching on local scan on his way to check the sector his scout was in. It will usually be the first scouts owner or a buddy of his. "Hey [name] whomever just triggered my scout at somewhere go pop his trading butt."

Where is the thinking, where is the tactics?
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
Tyr
Quiet One

Post by Tyr »

Exactly.

I'm talking about hunting hunters, not traders. Somebody spots the word 'hunting' and they immediately assume somebody is refering to hunting weak traders. Where is the thinking in not understanding what they are reading?

I have only been back playing over a week, and already have had twice as many personal messages as my last full game asking "1 vs 1?" How very pathetic, and this is mostly from people in so called training alliances. What do they teach there?

Who hunts the hunters?

Which one of you has the skill to hunt traders in a weak ship?

Most of you don't think of this stuff do you? Why bother right? Just let somebody else tell you what to do so you don't have to use your brains.
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

Tyr wrote:Most of you don't think of this stuff do you? Why bother right? Just let somebody else tell you what to do so you don't have to use your brains.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The curse of the video game generation.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

Some people enjoy dueling, some people enjoy a challenging hunt. Who are you to say that one is better than the other?! We need to set up a game that is balanced and enjoyable for everyone, no matter how the choose to play it. Our aim should not be to force players to hunt the way you want them to, but to ensure that it is possible to play SMR any number of ways without having unbalancing advantages given to certain races or tactics.

We want to avoid cookie-cutter strategies, no matter how much you believe things should be done a certain way. Tyr, you are as short-sighted as OR was in his time, just on different issues.
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

You two are messed up....

One of you thinks sitting in the open waiting for someone to run into you takes more skill than following scout reports while the other thinks no one ever hunts the hunters....

Obviously you two are too new to this game to really know what happens.... but there are lots of different tactics that are used day in and day out.... It is not all as simple as you make it sound...
Tyr
Quiet One

Post by Tyr »

Why thank you Ardbeg. (sarcasm alert)

Who am I to argue with you about how I think? I don't agree with you on this thread, oh well, I still sleep well at night so it can't be all that bad.

I've been in and out of this game this whole decade, but I guess that I am still a newbie, even to newer players than me. I never said one is better (dueling or hunting) but that's what you seem to think I said. Either you guys just can't understand what I'm trying to get across, or you don't want to. Why? I'm not special enough for you? I have'nt held your hands for years and looked up to saying 'ooh wow those are awesome players, I wish I were like them'. It's funny how I'm not good enough to get a reply to a pm from a guy in the same alliance, but I'm good enough to respond to here?

It's just a total and utter lack of understanding here. Too bad. I think that I'll just try to enjoy the game itself, and leave the design of it to you sm/smr gods.

I have tons of ideas, some you may like, but as always it just does'nt matter in the current company.

P.S. this thread is lame.
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

btw 1v1s usually come from either vets pretending to be noobs to be cool.....

or

people in System Failure (which is a joke)...

just ignore them :D
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

Purify wrote:You two are messed up....

One of you thinks sitting in the open waiting for someone to run into you takes more skill than following scout reports while the other thinks no one ever hunts the hunters....
I never said, "sitting in the open waiting for someone to run into you takes more skill".

1)How much skill is involved in sitting in fed space appearing to be offline waiting for my scout reports to come in. How much skill does it take to show up in a sector right after the trader. Not much.

2)I have popped in on a few traders and started attacking while they were sitting at a port. While I do get an adrenaline rush from the excitement, it pails in comparision to the one that got chased accross two galaxies.

3)Tyr never said no-one was hunting hunters. He was just asking who is hunting hunters. "Who Watches the Watchmen." Does not mean no-one is watching.
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

You did say "sitting in the open waiting for someone to run into you takes more skill".... you said that hunting 'back then' is harder than it is now and then you described how you would hunt back then...... implying that it took more skill

1. You should try that method of hunting you described and tell me how many kills you get that way..... SoUL (Sir Lancelot) is the king of hunting new traders and even he uses more thought then running to the pinged sector

2. Hunting isn't the same because there aren't as many 'traders' to hunt.... try joining up with an active alliance and getting into planet busts or port raiding.... or even try to mess with an alliance doing a planet bust or port raid.... that's where the adrenaline rush is now a days

3. i don't understand.... Tyr wanted to know the names of who kills the hunters?... cause all he has to do is read the news.... or was it a retorical question?