Who runs the game?

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

IMO the reaction to this brand new combat strategy is overblown. The technique itself has been used many times to boot and kill alliance mates parked on a planet. To my knowledge no one has ever rejoined the alliance, thus the loophole. Again, IMO it's a loophole similar to slave trading and any ruling against using it is premature. So it making it a part of the code so anyone can do it. I would suggest everyone look at the pros and cons of actually using it objectively.

First, there are two major requirements which limit it from happening at all.
1) The planet owner must be online
2) They must know the password to get back in the alliance.

In LotuS' case he met both of these. He was online and it was his planet (or he took control of it because it wasn't passworded) and he was the alliance leader and had access to the alliance passwords so he could rejoin. Those two limitations will prevent this from happening.

Secondly, there was the strategic reason why he did it and why it made sense to do it at the time and why it was a brilliant move, and why IMO it won't happen that often every again because doing it just to do it would be stupid.

The planet LotuS fleet was parked on was near the dead end location of the planet we were attacking, and the fleet coming off that planet in that sector of space was effectively blocking our exit. The only way for us to get out was going thru that sector. I'm not sure if this makes sense without looking at the map, but that was the where how and why of it.

As with slave trading loopholes, this won't happen very often. It is a gutsy and desperate move and the player who does it is exposing his fleet to open space with offline ships that can't UNO. If we had had the turns at the time, we could have killed all of their ships. As it was, some of our pilots went back some hours later and killed the remaining few that hadn't come back on line yet.
that which pods you makes you stronger
DPR

Post by DPR »

HK you are very right, this won't happen often. But you are also very wrong, cause this is not being blown out of proportion. It is something more than just the kicking people off a planet. Its more limitation on what we can and can not do. Its yet another step into making the game play very narrow. This is an effort to stop creative, uncovnetional game play, and new thinking, which are all beneficial to a game. This is far greater than just kicking people off the planet if you ask me.
Trigek
Admin Emeritus

Post by Trigek »

I see the drama queens have come out in full force on this issue over really nothing. No points were given, no bans.

All that has been decided is that kicking members of your alliance is not a coded feature, which is a fact, and so by temporarily leaving your alliance to do so is not an intended use of the kick from planet feature. So until a legit discussion, and suggestion of implementation, occurs over adding this feature to alliance leader options its use has been suspended.

Its a fair and democratic decision. You want this in the game then discuss it like an adult and make a suggestion. The continued hissy fits will get no respect.
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

To: Trigek
Subject: thanks
just wanted to say thanks for trying to control the situation on webboard. it's all the people around me who keep up their great work.
smr lives through you!
SPOCK
DemiGod
Quiet One

Post by DemiGod »

I think most of us like the decision not to ban lotus. What we don't like is the end result, the "loophole" rule. Also, we feel insulted in the way that it was handled on the webboard.
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Post by B.O.B. »

While I am always open to revision suggestions to the rules (especially if they are well thought out and written out) from anyone, it is never going to change that the Admins make the rules, and you follow them.

If you can't handle that, go become an admin of your own game and then you can let your players dictate what should and should not be allowed.
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

And if all else fails, make me supreme ruler of SMR and everyone will get free icecream from the tuckshop (cafeteria...)!
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

The answer seems simple to me. Make rejoining an alliance have a delay of 1-12 hours. Then you can't rejoin and it doesn't do the leader any good. I suppose he could boot the 29 people still, but then none of them can land either.
Cuda
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Cuda »

Jester- wrote:The answer seems simple to me. Make rejoining an alliance have a delay of 1-12 hours. Then you can't rejoin and it doesn't do the leader any good. I suppose he could boot the 29 people still, but then none of them can land either.
I concur.
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

This would also be good in the case of spies, thefts and other such matters that could be unforseen.
BooRawl
Quiet One

Post by BooRawl »

Personally don't see anything wrong with what happened. Gutsy move and you need to own the planet, and have all your people on the planet, and you need to know the alliance password and you have to have a tunnel that the other alliance needs to go through no other way and other alliance has to be low on turns so they can't uno and come back and take you out. I don't understand why anyone considers this a loophole. The odds that the 4 variables are met is enormous. The rule is a waste of time with all due respect. Coding in a rule for a leader to have this option, makes it alot easier to use and I don't like it. Congrats to Lotus on a smart move, and thinking ahead of the rest. Similar tactics in past is to pop off single guy who is off line, and other alliance comes snooping and all on line on planet pop off. This game needs to let players figure out good tactics and this was a good job by Lotus.

edited for content