Newbie games

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.

Should we have veteran and newbie games?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:18 pm

Yes
82%
No
15%
Other Sugestion - Post bellow
3%

Total votes: 34

Smor
Quiet One

Post by Smor »

game like that would be cheating paradise
Please send me pm ingame or here with corrections of mistakes i did.

Faded Image, Sector 7G, ~Vodka Traders~, The Order, Reincernation, Reborn Again, Rebels, The Guild, Veil of Avalon, New Dawn, Illusion, Suckas, Armory
Mar
Quiet One

Post by Mar »

I think newbie games could be good for the game. If I had started off in a vet game when I started SM I doubt I'd have stayed.
Can't really hurt trying it out.
=)

It takes one to be one!
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

I'd like to see it work like in the old days.

Newbie and Beginner ranks get only NG games to join. Once you hit Fledgling, you can join the vet games and also the NG. Adept or above only join vet games.
that which pods you makes you stronger
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

That would be great HK.

However I dont think 15-30 newbies and 20 sporadiclly active fledglings locked away in their own little game is going to cause the newbies to flood our gates. It would have to be the size of the Semi wars we have on beta (SUP not the other one).

How long has it been since you was last a newbie? I'm telling you, it is a big empty racial galaxy as a newbie. It gives a false sense that no-one plays this game. It causes potential players with money to spend to leave in the first 10 minutes and not return. DBird was floored when he made the fledgling switch early in this round and seen how busy racial really was. And true to form he got podded in the first 5k past 60k becuase of this blindfold.

If they log on and see in the first 5 minutes after character creastion all those hidden ships and forces (id make them a different color on the local map to be less confusing hense the idea that all things vet should be one color to a newwbie)

REMOVE THE NEWBIE BLINDFOLD

Take into the account that we update very rarely and they may begin to think this game is about to die because of the emptiness of the playing fields. They will not want to waste their time trying a game that they believe may not be around much longer. They log off sometimes with only 100 newbie turns burned and never come back. Look at the Roster for the NHA. All those newbies with zero xp.
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

I understand the point of not wanting to put 30 newb players in a huge galaxy. To start off with, I'd rather see a smaller single galaxy for new players, with ports and planets and UNOs and CAs. A small version of the slow game going on now, maybe. And 100% separate from the vet games. Here's why...

1) I think it could be done faster and with less coding, perhaps in time for the start of the next game

2) A smaller single galaxy with all the right stuff would serve the purpose of introducing new players to all the elements of the full vet game.

3) I remember the mystery of seeing those JOIN GAME buttons for the Fledg and Vet games that wouldn't work until I reached the right rank. It presented an exciting goal to work towards.

In time, as new players become experienced there will be less need for Vets to play NG games with second accounts. The NG would be self-sufficient. NG could become a multi-galaxy game if it grows sufficiently.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

HK is right. We need to start somewhere. I think we should trial newbie games in a similar format to that which HK has laid out and see how it goes.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

If we are going to do coding, then code them into the main game!

- Take off the newbie filter so they see vet players and forces greyed out in sector (I love that idea)
- Code so they cannot leave the protected galaxies until they reach fledgling
- Code them their own neutral, planet & CA galaxies that vets cannot enter
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

Ardbeg wrote:If we are going to do coding, then code them into the main game!

- Take off the newbie filter so they see vet players and forces greyed out in sector (I love that idea)
I think this is the way to go. Lets wait to do Newbie games until we have enough Non newbie players and vets to make 2 great big games.

I have noticed one thing. Newbie games doesnt effect Crusaders and Armory in any way. All your players are "vet". The people who would get hurt by newbie games is the small non "clique" alliances which is made up of 50%-75% Newbie and Beginner rank players.

REMOVE THE BLINDFOLD
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
Shtoopid
Quiet One

Post by Shtoopid »

DarthNihilus wrote:
Ardbeg wrote:If we are going to do coding, then code them into the main game!

I think this is the way to go. Lets wait to do Newbie games until we have enough Non newbie players and vets to make 2 great big games.

I have noticed one thing. Newbie games doesnt effect Crusaders and Armory in any way. All your players are "vet". The people who would get hurt by newbie games is the small non "clique" alliances which is made up of 50%-75% Newbie and Beginner rank players.

REMOVE THE BLINDFOLD
This idea seems much more usefull then completely sperating the noobs from everybody, at least now they have a chance at being picked up and joining in ops.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

My very first game was back along time ago. lol

I joined SM and entered my first newbie game. I did not join any alliance, I did not even know what an alliance in the game was. But big thing here was that everyone else in the game did not know anymore or not much more then I did.

So I had the time to learn to trade, I even found a planet in my first game and claimed it. It was attacked once or twice but was never taken from me. It was fun you were playing with others that were learning just like you. They made the same mistakes as you, I did not get any kills that first game nor was I killed. I did learn what it takes to trade and build a planet.

I don't think I was killed because I was not playing with supper hunters, I keep my planet because there was not organized alliances. I was able to make mistakes and not lose everything. If I was a new player just entering the game now, I would leave after two or three pods. It would be no sweat off of my back, because what would the point of me playing be? If I am not having any fun?

I know some of you out there don't want newbie games because you will miss out on the easy kills. So you say whatever you can to make it a bad idea. The first time SM closed their doors they had more players then SMR has now. The last time that SM shut down they did not have as many players as SMR. But then they did not have newbie games, and they had the pay to cheat.

So some of you old vets out there sit back and think about your first game or two in the SM Newbie games. Were they fun? If you would have been poded everyday by good vet hunters, if everytime you tryed to claim a planet it was taking from you. Would you be playing today?

Edit: So anyway SMR has tryed different ways of helping new players to learn and have fun as a new player. The one thing that has not been tryed is newbie games.