Newbie games

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.

Should we have veteran and newbie games?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:18 pm

Yes
82%
No
15%
Other Sugestion - Post bellow
3%

Total votes: 34

SnakeBite
Newbie Spam Artist

Newbie games

Post by SnakeBite »

Yes, there is already a poll but that one was declared confusing and subjective and I think we need a clear opinion about this.
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

I think a Newbie Game would probally be the best way to go IF we had a large enough mass of newbies. However until then I think the best thing for us to do would be to lift the blindfold that makes it so the newbie can't see vet or vet forces. Just don't allow anyone to examine each other. I think if the newbie sees them then he will be better prepared for the 60K mark. I know when I hit that mark I was very surprised and scared to all of a suddenly see those forces and ships I seen in the news. I had allways thought until that point that the vet only came into racial to kill.

I also think the above suggestion would make the game seem more than big empty spaces. It gives the false impression to the new player in his first 5 minutes That critical time that he or she is deciding if tis game is worth it. A big empty field of nothing but newbies makes them think no one is playing. Makes them think the game well probally tank soon. Then they exit. (if they continue past the login screen that is).

In July SMR had 4080 Unique Visitors ( http://bobby.fem.tu-ilmenau.de/cgi-bin/ ... mrealms.de ). Not sure what that means. Is that the number of actual total logins that we have had? Or is that like the collum header suggests the number of one time visitors to the link http://www.smrealms.com. Either way how much of that 4080 was someone looking for a game to get hooked on. Admit it everyone, this game can be adictively fun. Is there a way to tell how many first time players have logged off in the first 5 minutes or ten minutes after character creation never to return?
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

chiefs > indians
that which pods you makes you stronger
Smor
Quiet One

Post by Smor »

newbie games all the way.
Please send me pm ingame or here with corrections of mistakes i did.

Faded Image, Sector 7G, ~Vodka Traders~, The Order, Reincernation, Reborn Again, Rebels, The Guild, Veil of Avalon, New Dawn, Illusion, Suckas, Armory
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

more newbie games please
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
Astax
SMR Coder

Post by Astax »

of course. But I should be allowed to stay in the newbie game until I feel ready for prime time... sometime in the year 2212, when my brain-in-a-jar (medical term) will be hooked up to the holonet and I can play SMR15 like a pro, without my slow connection :O
buttsack
Quiet One

Post by buttsack »

bump.

yes, i would like newbie games.
Green Skulls, Crimson and Clover, Army of Cuda, Suckas, Armory, Armory v2, Green Skulls, Lords of the Pings, Green Skulls, Ingenious!
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

I completely disagree, because it doesn't teach them anything about how it will be in the big, bad real game, and just takes more players away from rosters that are already thin.

It is much better to design games to help them, rather than consign them to a meaningless newbie playground (full of vet multis running around shooting them). My latest map, for example, gives them a whole neutral galaxy to play in. We could even add planets to it if we can get it coded so vets can't use them.
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
buttsack
Quiet One

Post by buttsack »

Ardbeg wrote:I completely disagree, because it doesn't teach them anything about how it will be in the big, bad real game, and just takes more players away from rosters that are already thin.

It is much better to design games to help them, rather than consign them to a meaningless newbie playground (full of vet multis running around shooting them). My latest map, for example, gives them a whole neutral galaxy to play in. We could even add planets to it if we can get it coded so vets can't use them.
I agree with this. This is what we need. And it would be so super-cool if someone coded the ability for a small group of vets that were going to spend turns and time teaching them in their galaxy. This would be so cool.
Green Skulls, Crimson and Clover, Army of Cuda, Suckas, Armory, Armory v2, Green Skulls, Lords of the Pings, Green Skulls, Ingenious!
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

buttsack wrote:
Ardbeg wrote:I completely disagree, because it doesn't teach them anything about how it will be in the big, bad real game, and just takes more players away from rosters that are already thin.

I agree with Ardbeg on this. This is what we need. And it would be so super-cool if someone coded the ability for a small group of vets that were going to spend turns and time teaching them in their galaxy. This would be so cool.
I fond myself agreeing with Ardbeg ATM. If we had 500 newbies a game then yes go for Newbie Games. However, we do not posses a big enough playerbase for newbie games. I think we need to run with my vet color idea and Ideas like Ardbegs. Let everyone see everyone. Let the newbies see what they are supposed to fear. Maybe then more of them will live past 65k with out a pod. If they even get that far.

The guy I podded was 62,083 xp I felt so really bad after the pod but I was excited, like a scanvanger finding a freashly killed gazelle without any predators around, when I clicked that link.

If he had been able to see vets and vets see him then someone would have noticed this behavior before hand. Mentioned something to him. It would even make it easier to help teach them if we can see them. Notice there mistakes in game play. We get there scout pings. Why do we have to be invisible to eachother? Just dont allow a Examine.

How many successful games keep the new game players away from the main playerbase?
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.