Harry Potter

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Mar
Quiet One

Post by Mar »

HP... are there are good reviews?
=)

It takes one to be one!
DragonLancer
Quiet One

Post by DragonLancer »

by the way.....I request that this be moved back to the games discussions which nobody reads so I do not look like such a dork

which, btw, is the reason I posted it there in the first place :roll:
I wish I had a trendy saying that made you laugh while at the same time making you realize how true the statment really is.
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Post by B.O.B. »

DragonLancer wrote: And from my experience, the only people who truly do not enjoy the Harry Potter books are the people who have only seen the haphazard movies that really do the books no justice at all.

That, or they are the people who dislike the books solely on the basis of the fact that they are highly popular and appear to be of a childish nature.
^ You left out my group: the group that reads as little as possible, whenever possible. ;)
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
Sivarticusiii
Quiet One

Post by Sivarticusiii »

I can say I have only watched the movies thus far, but I am an avid reader, and I do plan on reading the books. I want to see what all the hype is about.

And IMO, Dark Tower is better than Harry Potter, but again, I haven't read these books :)
==Pod. It's what's for dinner.==
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

I've read several different ficitional series of novels, and I was reluctant to read HP at first. But, I can say without a doubt, that HP is the best series out of all of them. In terms of storlyine, imagination, and emotion it tops the list. Better than the WoT series, the Shannara series and countless others that I've had the pleasure of reading. The great thing is, most any book is better than poop movies made nowadays.
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

Yes, i said poop.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

If you want to read quality fantasy, I can highly recommend the two Thomas Covenant trilogies by Stephen Donaldson.
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

I'll throw out a good fantasy read here too. Gene Wolfe's "Book of the New Sun" series.
that which pods you makes you stronger
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

I read it, I thought it sucked.
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

The Wars of Light and Shadow series by Janny Wurts.

Best start with Curse of the Mist Wraith.

This reminds me how hard is it to order from Amazon.uk in USA becuase her next book is released in UK first and sometime next year for USA (No date listed). Ive been impaintly waiting for her to finish writting the next book (each one is something like 800 pages long of very very nicely written text that paints avid pictures in your minds eye and each book is not hammered out in 3 months but they have 2 years in between books) There is allready 8 or something out now.

http://www.paravia.com/JannyWurts/websi ... cerpt.html

...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.