Fines

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
BooRawl
Quiet One

Fines

Post by BooRawl »

Is there a formula for the amount you are fined if caught trading illegal goods. I wonder because the cost seems extremely high for trading a 2 X distance route. In IST trading weapons almost 700k fine and i think couple of million for trading Narcotics. Seems a little stiff, and excessive. I traded 300 turns and came back earning maybe about 700k.... after all the fines i paid...... Personally thinks it should be looked into, and loosing turns if you don't have money, seems very excessive too, especially if you are learning the game. I traded level 9 ports and maybe a level 8 port...... but still the amount of times i got caught and the amount of fines seems to be very prohibitive...... Yet i do remember trading a super route where the amount of money trading narcotics and getting caught was not prohibitive. Just wonders if there is a formula for this...... or is it random or what.......... the amount of the fines
Jester-
Admin Emeritus

Post by Jester- »

You are right Boo, this should be addressed. The fines for getting caught is a little excessive as it happens a LOT if you are not in an underground ship and is a little pricey. I believe the formula should be changed to half of the value you would normally make on one trade of it for that distance.
Blum
Chat Troll

Post by Blum »

I remember a discussion about evil being overpowered a while ago. And if my memory serves me right nothin has been done. Wouldn't lowering the fine make evil even more overpowered?
seldum
Beta Tester

Post by seldum »

was going to say the exact same thing as Blum
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

i agree, something does need to be done.

I must say though, its funny listening to my roomate flip out everytime he gets searched...i swear, he must be searched on every other run
adam_phg
Quiet One

Post by adam_phg »

agree with blum and seldum here. leave it as it lays
For the glory of Ayock!
Kahless_
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Kahless_ »

I agree with Blum and Seld and P1. I think if people want to avoid fines, they should get evil ships.

The point of trading illegals is that its meant to be risky with the chance of making much more than trading normal good, with the risk of losing much much more. To me it seems balanced.
BooRawl
Quiet One

Post by BooRawl »

hmmmmmm no one has answered my Question........ is there a formula. How does the formula work. If you trade a 5 x and a 2x narcotics is it the same amount the fine. A 10x ?? personally from my experience I think it is.
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

BooRawl wrote:hmmmmmm no one has answered my Question........ is there a formula. How does the formula work. If you trade a 5 x and a 2x narcotics is it the same amount the fine. A 10x ?? personally from my experience I think it is.
last time i knew, it was completely random, but i could be wrong..
ImageImage
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

http://lotus.smrealms.de/?page=formulas

Number of illegal goods at any port. (Port level + 3) - legal goods The base chance of getting searched when entering a port is 15%. For each illegal good that the port buys or sells, it is decreased by 4% to a minimum of 3% chance for a search. Smuggling ships reduce this further by another 4%, so you have a -1% chance of getting searched if you are at a port that buys/sells all illegal items and are in a smuggling ship. Max. experience per trade = ((INT(Cargo Holds/30)) +1) x 2) x Distance. e.g. Alskant Trade Master (INT(400/30)) +1 x 2 = 28 x the distance in sectors to the next port that, buys the item if this port is selling it, or sells the item if this port is buying it. So if this port is selling Lux and the closest port that buys it is 3 sectors away you can get up to 84 exp for that trade.
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.