Newbie Question

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Newbie Question

Post by Purify »

So, i was in my newbie chatroom, chatting with one of my newbies who just became fledging and i get this question: (edited to protect the innocent)

<newb> Purify?
<Purify> yeah
<newb> Who is badmojo?
<Purify> a crusader / a good guy although he's been known to pod his own son :P
<newb> Can he ban me?
<Purify> no... he's not an admin... why?
<newb> Well, I was shooting his scouts in human like you had told me to do, but i clicked on his name and it said: "Do it again and you will be banned. (And YES, I can beat you)", I thought that was referring to me
<Purify> lol.... no that was done by (some flagrant admin bashing)
<newb> Alright, as long as i'm not going to be banned, I like this game.
<Purify> yeah... you're good shoot his scouts all you want...
<newb> OK. I'll be sure to stay away from the (edited) though :P

why am i having to waste my time with a question like this.... when the name, that's confusing to some, can easily just be removed?
neto
Quiet One

Post by neto »

Good to see you are making some progress with your new friends Pur. I have thought long and hard about this issue for a while. As the creator of BadMojos icon, I found no reason as to why his icon was removed. Even if it was found to be questionable,
why not simply remove the thing and reimburse the player with some credits.

I had a blast making that thing too, just so you know.
Thanks for wasting my time.

edited to remove public criticism of coder actions
MIDGET MADNESS!
Hate
Quiet One

Post by Hate »

Yeah sadly some people have no sence of humor. Considering he has had that ship logo for 4 games now i see no reason for it to have been removed nor any reason it warrented a ban. There is far more important things to do than to sit here and look for something so little like this.
Crusher

Post by Crusher »

If i was a newbie, i woud be confuse reading that too. Poor newbie, thinking he coud get ban for shoting bad mojo scout :-(

As for removing ram tag... yes i do thing peoples shoud lighten up a little, peoples are trying to get others peoples ban for frivolous thing. Try to keep ban for real offense.
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

Hate wrote:Yeah sadly some people have no sence of humor.
Agreed, people should've seen the humor in this change of a tag that violated rules.
nor any reason it warrented a ban.
Agreed, which is why no ban came, only a joke.
There is far more important things to do than to sit here and look for something so little like this.
Agreed, which is why I took 10 seconds to change it in a joking way rather than go through a long process of dealing with it.

Good post, except you came to the wrong conclusion 3 times there.
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau
kerkem
Quiet One

Post by kerkem »

am i able to ban purify if he shoots my scouts?
Kerkem
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

Azool wrote:
Hate wrote:Yeah sadly some people have no sence of humor.
Agreed, people should've seen the humor in this change of a tag that violated rules.
nor any reason it warrented a ban.
Agreed, which is why no ban came, only a joke.
There is far more important things to do than to sit here and look for something so little like this.
Agreed, which is why I took 10 seconds to change it in a joking way rather than go through a long process of dealing with it.

Good post, except you came to the wrong conclusion 3 times there.
Azool, what you are presenting here is one side of the story. You fail to mention that there were inconsistencies and admin/coder disconnects in the way the original banner was dealt with. You fail to mention that this "joke" is at the expense of a player who has no recourse in the matter (he is at your mercy). You fail to mention that a lot of people do not find this "joke" funny.

Since you have now opened this up for public debate with your post, I am assuming (as a moderator) that you are permitting public criticism of your actions on the matter.
Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
Trigek
Admin Emeritus

Post by Trigek »

Azool wrote:
Kinda ironic that you defend the new tag as its supposed to be a joke when the original tag itself was a joke. Regardless, I don't agree with this...
Ardbeg wrote: Since you have now opened this up for public debate with your post, I am assuming (as a moderator) that you are permitting public criticism of your actions on the matter.
Reasons to why the tag was changed is not up for debate. The point that the new tag is confusing to newbs has been made, no further discussion needed. Anyone who has a problem with Azools decision can take it up through proper channels.
Last edited by Trigek on Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

To: Trigek
Subject: thanks
just wanted to say thanks for trying to control the situation on webboard. it's all the people around me who keep up their great work.
smr lives through you!
SPOCK