The Fine Line

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Izzanods
Quiet One

The Fine Line

Post by Izzanods »

I had a brief exchange of in-game messages this morning with Sergei about his hunting of the CA. I'm honestly going to try and be fair in this post and cover both sides but I think this "issue" is a big problem for the game.
Orca, Sergei and a handful of others are incredible hunters and play hours and hours (either in shifts or together). While activity is essential for the game, I feel like the game maps need to be adjusted immediately to assist the average player or I feel the game is going to lose players.
The problem is this: the players above, especially Sergei hunt the area around 1966 daily and while I totally understand that they should be able to hunt and get kills and have fun, I'm worried that the average or new player will become frustrated with the pod(s) they take and ultimately quit. While players like HK, Sterling and I realize pods happen (as evidenced by our near 1,000 pods in total), the average player in this game doesn't have hours to finally move and avoid this games best hunters. The average player will probably accept the first or maybe the second pod within a few day span, the constant deaths are a problem.
Players like Thorfin and Mad Matt are both frustrated at this and while some of it can be attributed to sloppy play or bad luck, some of it is simply the problem I've described.
What I think needs to happen is to STOP with bullcrap of having the CA's next to each other. Spread them out, make it harder for anyone to camp them both. Make killing people who your race is at war with more valuable---SOMETHING!
Again, I'm not trying to stop the hunters from hunting or camping something--some things are worth fighting over and at but the current map and situation is really not beneficial to the game. I really see this as a problem and I'm not sure my ideas are even on the right track but something needs to be done or at the very least...looked at because what we currently have doesn't seem to work very well for SMR and the needs of the many should always outweigh the needs of the few. We need to keep players and bring in new ones.
oc12 here, what you playing with slowpoke?
Harry Krishna
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Harry Krishna »

There was a call early on to move the 1965 CA to some other place, since having 2 CAs side-by-side is a waste, might as well only have 3 CAs if that's the case.

This was ignored by the admins who make the maps. What can you do?

As for hunting the CA, I'm not sure there's much to be done about that. Hunters go where the killing is good. That means CAs, level 5 weap shops, top ports, etc. You can't move them all.
that which pods you makes you stronger
Izzanods
Quiet One

Post by Izzanods »

I agree, that's why I think steps should be taken

the CA galaxies should be all locations so that hunters can't scout and mine them. I personally have an EoS and Sergei lets me go in and out because of my ship but it's not about me..it's what's best for the game.

While miners usually have money on them and it's lucrative for hunters to kill them, someone needs to think of a way that makes it more lucrative for hunters to kill xp guys or specific racial traders/members.

I want to do what's right here and try and help. Sterling and I could easil get DC's and mine EVERYTHING little by little but that's not helping the game either. While the current map is what it is, the future maps need to be modified. It's that simple.
oc12 here, what you playing with slowpoke?
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

donsc (296) was destroyed by Bonker (248) in Sector #1967

From: donsc (296) Date: 10/10/2007 4:13:18 PM [Report this message to an admin]
Just so you know I given the Alliance all my $$$, I'm quiting the game. That's the second time I was in the middle of a battle I should have won and I got bumped from the system and had a hard time getting back on. So I'm resigning from the Alliance and the game.

(btw i have he has no idea what he's talkin about... his last death he as in the middle of a battle with mines when Bonker 1 shotted him... point is we lost him)

Mind you this was part my failure.... i couldn't get him in chat for the life of me...he just couldn't figure it out and i was busy couldn't PM him 32524234 times but i think this is part of what izza was sayin...... btw don't blame Bonker either... he was real nice about the kill said he offered to pay back the ship and everything... its just a tough struggle teaching noobs like madmatt and donsc how to CA and such with this type of setup.....
Bonker
Beta Tester

Post by Bonker »

yah that was genuine mistake and appologised for it dont like killing new players if i get pings of them i try to msg then and stear them away from the hunting/mine zone but walked into sector and he was there so shot without looking at cpl i appologised offered new ship blahblahblah he did msg me 2day tho saying he had money so hope he dont quit but as far as this thread goes yes this map is :D cant dis armory if they havnt got anything better to do than sit in a sector clicking buttons all day never know 1 day u might loose ure virginity but stranger things have happened :P but next map i suggest u get some imput off a few of them clever smr players who into map building n crap ! /love
Azool
SMR Coder

Post by Azool »

Izzanods wrote:someone needs to think of a way that makes it more lucrative for hunters to kill xp guys or specific racial traders/members.
Thats a good suggestion, I'll work on something for that.
Men are born to succeed, not fail.
-Henry David Thoreau
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

Izzanods wrote:someone needs to think of a way that makes it more lucrative for hunters to kill xp guys or specific racial traders/members.
XP lost = XP Gained? I know its been discussed before...

But I agree, I don't think you can completely blame armory, the layout of locations is the cause of the problem being as large as it is. The problem is that, I don't think that CAs are put in manually when the maps are made. You choose which galax(y)(ies) a location can be in, and how many of that location, and the map randomly generators the sector(s) the location(s) is/are in.

But I could be wrong, I have been before :-)
buttsack
Quiet One

Post by buttsack »

If it is possible to move 1965 or 1966 CA to somewhere else, I am all for it. Having 2 CA's next to each other is pointless, and only lessens the amount of places a player can go to get forces.
Green Skulls, Crimson and Clover, Army of Cuda, Suckas, Armory, Armory v2, Green Skulls, Lords of the Pings, Green Skulls, Ingenious!
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

one was supposed to be moved but clearly no one cares to think that might help the game, or even make rational sense
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
Purify
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Purify »

"belieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve you waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaant this"