My fight against TK

Discussions about everything, SMR related or not.
Kard
Beta Tester

Re: My fight against TK

Post by Kard »

Freon22 wrote:
Kard wrote: I suggested having the ships remain the balancing feature in SMR 1.5, since it was that way in SMR 1.0. Then have the skill points and upgrades, tweak your character to suite your role and play style.
I think that the races should be what balances the game. Take the Ik'Thorne they have big ships and use CDs as their main weapons. So there should be a cap on the accuracy of their HP weapons. They can still upgade for more HPs but their overall weapon accuracy will be less then other races weapons.

Each race hads its strong and weak points, use them to balance the game. Like hunting races should be able to upgrade Hard Points, accuracy, MR, Cargo Holds but should have some type of a cap on how much shields and armor they can have on their ships. Also the more Cargo Holds a ship has the lower the MR rating should be. I know that a lower MR on big trading ships is bad for them but how can a big ship with 400 cargo hold be able to dodge a smaller hunting ships weapons fire? What traders can do is upgrade their shields and armor so they can take a few hits and still get away, if that is how they want to upgrade their ship.

You just can not throw all these upgrades out there and expect it to balance itself. You have to use something to balance the game or you end up with what you have now. Way over powered ships!

Also Kard you are right ships was a big part of what balanced SMR 1.0 the turns of each ship help to keep them incheck.

Edit: But like I have read in someother threads, no Coders that has access lol, no Azool, no Spock = Nothing is done.

That is what I meant. I guess I didnt explain it well. Any game, the races are what balance the game. But what inside those races is the balance. In SMR 1.0, the race you picked would then determine the ship you could buy which then determined the balance, so in turn, the ships were the balance. In TDZK, there were X number of ships, and everyone had access to those ships, and then you added upgrades to those ships. Depending on the race you chose, you got bonuses and penalties to those upgrades, so in turn, the upgrades were the balance.

I think we should keep the SMR 1.0 theme, where you pick a race, and then have access to that races ships. And each race has unique ships which are balanced against other races ships. Then depending on wether you want to hunt, raid, mine, trade, prospect, NPC kill, or jack of all trades, you add skill points when creating your character. Then you can upgrade your ship to further personalise your ship to what you want to do. I actualy had most of it all balanced really nicely prior to launch, I might still have it all in note pads on my laptop. 80% of the game balance was in the ships, and 20% was how you assigned your skill points and upgrades.

I just checked while writing this, and I do still have all the balancing ideas saved. How to balance skill points so they dont stack to huge with other things to unbalance things. The suggestions for the manditory 600 skill points, the assignable 400 player skill points, the skill point bonus ideas for each race. As long as the ships are balance properly , then my skill point ideas are balanced on top of that, yet still add customisation and dynamic to the game. Then the other area to balance would be ship upgrades, and gadgets, which I never worked to much on so cant help you to much there.
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

one question kard...where was all this?

I did all the work on the stat allocation, with poca's assistance and a little input from roehm. The only person to voice much concern over it was DWizz, who didn't like Humans being cast as miners. OR did all the ship work. And racial bonuses are worked into the ships already.

I would love to see what you have done, but if you say you had this prior to launch, why is it that I never saw any of it?
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

Baalzamon wrote:one question kard...where was all this?

I did all the work on the stat allocation, with poca's assistance and a little input from roehm. The only person to voice much concern over it was DWizz, who didn't like Humans being cast as miners. OR did all the ship work. And racial bonuses are worked into the ships already.

I would love to see what you have done, but if you say you had this prior to launch, why is it that I never saw any of it?

Here, Ill PM you the link on the beta forums where I posted it, and we all talked about it. In the thread I made called "balancing the effect of skill points", I said the problem was the ships were already what balances the races, and then if you have skill points give to much of a bonus, it has the potential to throw the ship balance out of order and create invincible players. I then gave an example of a WQ player with all skill points in Manu and why it could be really bad if it isnt balanced properly. You were in the threads, you just forget about it after all this time. What it comes down to is taking one of the features, either ships, skill points, or ship upgrades, and making that the main balancing feature, then nerfing the other ones to make them for customisation. IMO of course
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Combat code is complete wack

SM/R had it flaws, this game had the potential to be great, but in reality got boring quicker than the old code.
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Kard
Beta Tester

Post by Kard »

Blade wrote:Combat code is complete wack

SM/R had it flaws, this game had the potential to be great, but in reality got boring quicker than the old code.
The only reason for that is balance. The old SMR was balanced. Imagine though, once 1.5 is tweaked and balanced how much more fun it will be. Give it some time and SMR 1.5 has the potential to be better then SMR. Just needs a bit of tweaking.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Kard wrote:
Blade wrote:Combat code is complete wack

The only reason for that is balance. The old SMR was balanced. Imagine though, once 1.5 is tweaked and balanced how much more fun it will be. Give it some time and SMR 1.5 has the potential to be better then SMR. Just needs a bit of tweaking.
I completely agree fella the game has potential, but in order to bring out that potential we need active game coders who can dynamically change things in game.

Why cant we run a beta game that is updated and fixed in game and not behind closed doors. That leaves us thinking no one cares, I know Page is doing stuff, but dam give Page bloody access!
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Well beta is open to everyone and I regularly make updates. Also I believe the code will be moving over into live soon. There has been quite a bit of work on balancing in beta, and although it's far from finished I believe it's closer.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Beta server does not maintain the player base though, the main game is boring, buggy and dead
Baalzamon
Destroyer of his own FU

Post by Baalzamon »

Then e-mail spock and talk to him about getting Page access to live. Right now, Azool is the only one with access to the live code, and Page and Zelek have access to the beta server. I've e-mailed him, and I know a couple others have as well. If anything, it won't hurt to talk to him about it.