MGU Wishlist

Moderators: Edgecrusher, Vladdy

RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

MGU Wishlist

Post by RCK »

Starting this for Edge as he went to bed :)
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: MGU Wishlist

Post by RCK »

From our discussion earlier and some i've thought of along the way

- Works "faster" in general
- Layout (Additional layout to look like SMC (with the bar connectors vs maze)
- Goto sector (Using CTRL+G)
- Universe Gen (Populate with racial galaxies automatically, add "Planet" galaxy type)
- Universe info (shows sector count, % mapped)
- Colouring for Sectors (Hostile/Friendly multiple colours so an alliance leader can generate a mining map etc.
- Avoid "Hostile" sectors when plotting a course or arming routes
- Comments to planets/sectors/ports/etc
- Info/closest to about a sector, closest port(buy/sell), location, technology etc) **Think you said this was implemented but see the bug im going to post after this**
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

- Click on a warp to change to that galaxy
- When hovering over a location display what it is. (like in game)
- Open last map open when the MGU is reopened
- Zooming capabilities
- able to move the map
- Scalable images when zooming
-
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

This list suggests that you have never tried MGU since I re-implemented it last year, for most of your wishes have been implemented since v1.6 beta. My re-implemented version has been implemented with a clear class structure so any new suggestions can be easily implemented.

Already implemented

- When hovering over a location display what it is. (like in game)

Can be done easily - the .NET framework probably provides that functionality.

- Open last map open when the MGU is reopened

Can be done easily

- Zooming capabilities

Not sure what you want to zoom.

- Able to move the map

Not sure what you mean here either. You can move freely through the map, but you also could in old MGU, so you probably mean something else.

Goods images already scale when zooming the map and disappear when they become too small. I can make the zoom rate fully customized, but is anyone waiting or that?

V1.6 works up to 4.7 times faster for route generation and much, much faster in course plotting, finding arming routes and especially location finding. Much faster is not possible in my opinion in software and can only be done by smarter use of MGU (like switching off wood and food when looking for proit routes).

Haven't done this yet because I wanted to have the funtionality done first, but I'll work on it some.

Already Implemented

- Universe Gen (Populate with racial galaxies automatically, add "Planet" galaxy type)

Universe generator now allows basic galaxy creation, sector configuration allows for customization of sector connections and ports. I will add more as we go.

This has a low priority in my opinion, but can be done easily.

- Colouring for Sectors (Hostile/Friendly multiple colours so an alliance leader can generate a mining map etc.

Already implemented, I just need to add a field in the sector configuration to actually allow manual control

Already implemented

Also low priority, but I will work on it

- Info/closest to about a sector, closest port(buy/sell), location, technology etc) **Think you said this was implemented but see the bug im going to post after this**

Already implemented, bug has been fixed
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Edgecrusher wrote:This list suggests that you have never tried MGU since I re-implemented it last year, for most of your wishes have been implemented since v1.6 beta. My re-implemented version has been implemented with a clear class structure so any new suggestions can be easily implemented.

Already implemented
We havnt been able to use the latest version (which is what btw? now version # in any version for the last while...)
- Zooming capabilities

Not sure what you want to zoom.

Galaxy Map, and if u say it does it... please enlighten us as to how :)
Universe map,
- Able to move the map
Not sure what you mean here either. You can move freely through the map, but you also could in old MGU, so you probably mean something else.
forget what it was about....

Goods images already scale when zooming the map and disappear when they become too small. I can make the zoom rate fully customized, but is anyone waiting or that?
And you zoom the map how? WE NEED DOCUMENTATION!

V1.6 works up to 4.7 times faster for route generation and much, much faster in course plotting, finding arming routes and especially location finding. Much faster is not possible in my opinion in software and can only be done by smarter use of MGU (like switching off wood and food when looking for proit routes).
This is a major problem and 1 reason that SMC is perferred over MGU, it is simply faster to run with full options.

Haven't done this yet because I wanted to have the funtionality done first, but I'll work on it some.
Get it done already ;)

Already Implemented

Its implemented with the text box, which doesn't work btw.... or when it does it doesn't centre on the sector you specified. and CTRL+G doesnt work.

Universe generator now allows basic galaxy creation, sector configuration allows for customization of sector connections and ports. I will add more as we go.
Refer to the uni gen in beta to see what is used to create games.

This has a low priority in my opinion, but can be done easily.
Useful for knowing how much of galaxy you have mapped.

Already implemented, I just need to add a field in the sector configuration to actually allow manual control

Already implemented
woot!
Also low priority, but I will work on it
I DEMAND HIGHER PRIORITY! :P

Already implemented, bug has been fixed
Going to test this feature now....
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

Zooming the map can be done in the Style menu. There is no documentation or version number because people lost interest before MGu came out of beta.

As to MGU working faster: In my experience it is as fast as SMC at the moment, with a lot more options, but do prove me wrong if you find otherwise. I have implemented most heuristics I can come up with, but in the there is always a certain amount of computation time that you can't avoid. At least I have given the user the option to select and deselect many option regarding route plotting. If you don't need wood, then don't select it. If you have no jump, don't select it.

Go to sector does work, but you're right that it doesn't center the sector yet. I'll work on that, should be easy. There are also some suggestions on the webboard from the old days that are useful (the rest I have deleted) and I will take a close look at SMC.
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

By the way, how do you know MGU is slower if you haven't been able to use the latest version? I can understand how the old MGU left a bad taste in your mouth, and how Vladdy's "fix it yourself" mentally didn't help, but this is a totally rewritten version under active development, with documented code that has a clear class-based structure and in English instead of Dutch, so give it a chance, will ya?
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Edgecrusher wrote:By the way, how do you know MGU is slower if you haven't been able to use the latest version? I can understand how the old MGU left a bad taste in your mouth, and how Vladdy's "fix it yourself" mentally didn't help, but this is a totally rewritten version under active development, with documented code that has a clear class-based structure and in English instead of Dutch, so give it a chance, will ya?
Dont take my comments the wrong way Edge, I appreciate the work your putting into MGU. The "slower" comment is just one I have heard repeated over and over and over and over and over as being a major dislike of MGU so I want to see it fixed.

I havnt had a chance to look at the source much on MGU my understanding of that language is limited/non existent.

Keep up the good work! :)
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

I'm afraid that many people do not want to try the new MGU because of their feelings towards the old version. Well, their loss.

Necessarily, understanding the code takes some familiarity with C# and the .Net framework, but I've commented as much as possible and gladly explain any aspect of the code.

I implemented the goto sector button to centre on the target sector. You find the newest update attached to this message. I will also post it in a new thread which will always contain the latest update.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by RCK »

Edge can you add version numbers... even its its like 1.6.0000001

so we know what the latest version is without having to just re download it.