New MGU developer wanted

Moderators: Edgecrusher, Vladdy

Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

New MGU developer wanted

Post by Edgecrusher »

I am going to quit the game and therefore will also discontinue developing MGU. If anyone wants to take over: the code is open source, you need .Net and C# programming skills.

Some of you know how to reach me by e-mail or on facebook and I am willing to do ssmall bug fixes, but that's it. I'm gonna play till the end of warlocked and will answer any questions at least until then. The code is well documented, but I do not think everything will be clear right away.
RCK
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: New MGU developer wanted

Post by RCK »

<smells a SMC come back>
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

RCK wrote:<smells a SMC come back>
That's the biggest kick on the way out you could give. Thank you.
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

Id help out if i could but i dont know jack about coding. It seems to work pretty damn well though, what needs doing still edge?
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Edgecrusher wrote:
RCK wrote:<smells a SMC come back>
That's the biggest kick on the way out you could give. Thank you.

:(
Use The Force(s)!
N.ator
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by N.ator »

mgu>smc

i will help with design and ideas but i cant do the code. yet that is.
ImageImage
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

MGU needs some bug fixes, some things (like route finding) could be further optimized and new things like a trade calculator could be developed.

But most people are only whining that SMC is better and no one is seriously posting bugs, which completely takes the fun out of development. Every new idea that has been suggested over the years has been implemented.

So what can be done to help: give feedback and report bugs.
the570z
Quiet One

Post by the570z »

Well i heard that multi core optimization is already coming, that would be super nice!
Other then that i got some ideas to throw out there,
1. Make MGU able to be launched by double clicking a downloaded map file(associate) and have it load that file on startup, I.E. i DL sectors file, click on the file i just downloaded and MGU fires up and loads it.
2. Since one game at a time is a rare thing these days, an ability to load two maps at once and just use a drop down menu to switch between games would be AWESOME.
3. Scout log tracking. Make MGU either able to pull scout logs directly or copypasta to it and have it keep track of activity of folks. Be even cooler to ask game to generate trade routes that include pinged sectors.
Beausoleil
Quiet One

Post by Beausoleil »

Export top x routes to clipboard? Easier c+p to alliance MB that way...
Edgecrusher
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Edgecrusher »

Multi-core optimisation isn't coming, I said I'd look into it, but no clue how difficult it is. The datastructure I use makes that most computation can be easily done multi-core, but I have no experience with it yet.

"Export top x routes to clipboard? Easier c+p to alliance MB that way..."

I would appreciate suggestions that exceed the level of "Can you do this because I'm too damn lazy for an extra mouseclick"

"Make MGU able to be launched by double clicking a downloaded map file(associate) and have it load that file on startup, I.E. i DL sectors file, click on the file i just downloaded and MGU fires up and loads it."

This can be easily done by clicking the properties option of any .smr file and selecting MGU to be the standar application to open that type of file. I´m sure it can be automated as well, but would have to look into it.

"Since one game at a time is a rare thing these days, an ability to load two maps at once and just use a drop down menu to switch between games would be AWESOME."

Good suggestion, but I am not sure what the memory demands for this would be.

"Scout log tracking. Make MGU either able to pull scout logs directly or copypasta to it and have it keep track of activity of folks. Be even cooler to ask game to generate trade routes that include pinged sectors."

Good suggestion, I can generate a color code for sectors depending on how often scouts are pinged there, same with the combat logs.