OS Wars: Unix

Putting a happy face on the community.
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

OS Wars: Unix

Post by B.O.B. »

Well I've picked on Winedowz, Macs and Linux, but I really haven't hit on Unix, so here it is:
  • If Unix is the answer, then it must have been a stupid question.
  • Unix is the only virus with a command-interface.
  • How can an operating system from 1970 (UNIX) be more modern than an operating system from 1978 (VMS)?
  • Unix - the first computer virus.
  • NFS = Nightmare File System.
  • Berkeley is famous for LSD and BSD UNIX. I don't think that is a coincidence.
  • Sure, the Unix file system corrupts your files, but look how fast it is!
    Friends don't let friends use Unix.
  • Unix - the ideal operating system for CPU's that are never powered up.
  • Nothing wrong with Unix that a total redesign and rewrite can not fix.
  • UNIX will be preempted by NT. UNIX doesn't know it yet - it won't notice until it's too late, because UNIX is the Yugoslavia of software, at war with itself - but it's all over.
  • The users of Unix systems said speed wasn't an issue when the Alpha chip was released. The same people tell their wives and girlfriends that size doesn't matter.
  • If Unix were a beer, then it would be shipped in open casks so that anybody could ;) in it before delivery.
  • UNIX is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.
  • UNIX is akin to a religion to some. If things aren't done like they are in UNIX, then they must be bad. Sorry, I don't believe in this religion.
  • UNIX is a four-letter word!
  • VI = Virtually Incomprehensible.
  • Unix is about as user friendly as a blow in the back from an ice-pick, only not quite as productive.
  • What has happend, when a system-manager gets gray-haired in one day? One day with a UNIX system!
  • How do you pronounce UNIX? You Nix!
  • The sad thing about UNIX is that no matter how many times you hit yourself over the head with it, you never quite manage to completely lose conciousness.
  • Cretin and UNIX both start with C.
  • The scariest thing about Jurassic Park was that the control systems were Unix.
  • I used to do VMS, now I do Unix - it's a living.
  • Why is using a UNIX system like being an Enuch? Everytime you go to do something important, you realize something critical is missing.
  • Why aren't there many female unix users? They don't think about to ask a man for help!
  • UNIX programmers are like witch doctors. They think they have to be covered with scars to show how powerfull they are.
  • UNIX on Alpha? Why run a 2-bit operating system on 64-bit hardware?
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Thats a good one BoB :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blum
Chat Troll

Post by Blum »

Considering that both Linuxes and Macs are Unixes you've already picked on them...
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Post by B.O.B. »

They may be based on Unix, they are not Unix. :P
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

macs are good paperweights
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
Blum
Chat Troll

Post by Blum »

/me ignores Lotus

Actually, it depends on the definition. While neither Linux nor OSX have papers that they conform to POSIX, they do which makes them Unixes withour being able to market themselves as Unix.
VJTD3
Quiet One

Post by VJTD3 »

LotuS wrote:macs are good paperweights
there si a reason it's called a mac... pop the harddrive in and you get "do you want frys with that?"
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

One year my step mother :stoned: went out to do some garage sale hunting. She came back with a great big box of 15-20 VIC-20's, and Commodore 64's (They are old AMIGA Computers for those of us who are noobies in life.) That christmas I gave them away as presents. I would open it up, gut it and fill it with concrete. They made great doorstops. :lol:
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
VJTD3
Quiet One

Post by VJTD3 »

DarthNihilus wrote:
One year my step mother :stoned: went out to do some garage sale hunting. She came back with a great big box of 15-20 VIC-20's, and Commodore 64's (They are old AMIGA Computers for those of us who are noobies in life.) That christmas I gave them away as presents. I would open it up, gut it and fill it with concrete. They made great doorstops. :lol:
i have one that still works here!
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

see i can quote me also :P
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC