Sterile Radar Guns

Putting a happy face on the community.
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Sterile Radar Guns

Post by B.O.B. »

One of my instructors for the military course was telling a story about his past as a highway patrolman.

He had pulled a man over for speed, and both of them was outside of their vehicles. The man was being very cordial and chatting casually with the officer as the officer was writing the ticket.

The man proceeded to ask the officer "Is it true what they say about radar guns?"
The officer wasn't quite sure what he meant by this, and asked him to ellaborate.
The man had watched a TV special about how radar guns had been making officers go sterile.

The radar guns the TV special was talking about was the old monstrous, heavy, bulky first generation ones (think of the original cell phones compared to today's models).
Back then officers had the bad habit of resting the massive radar guns between their legs for hours on end while on patrol.
Thus 2 + 2 = sterile officers.

So back to the story, the officer was aware of this case, and simply answered "Yes."

The continued to talk about other things while the officer was still writing the ticket.

During this whole process, the man went leaned/sat on the front of the officer's vehicle while still talking.

When the officer was done writing the ticket, he decided to play a little joke on the man, and mentioned to the man that he had not turned off the radar gun after pulling him over and that it was still going.

Of course the man immediately leaped off the vehicle with a somewhat panicked look on his face.
He frantically asked the officer if he'd be alright.
The officer replied with that he wasn't sure, and that he recommended he visit his family physician.

He handed over the ticket, and the man jumped in his car and sped off to his doctor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of days later the officer was pulled into his superior's office. His boss then proceeded to ask him if he had told some man, who had rested on the front of his vehicle, to visit his physician to make sure he hadn't gone sterile from the radar gun.

He answered that he had. His boss proceeded to hand him a bill from the man's doctor (including lab fees). Apparently the doctor wasn't to happy about his client being told he might be sterile, and the insurance was refusing to pay for the visit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I don't know how true that story is, but if you met my instructor you'd know he's the type of character who would play a practical joke like that.

I thought it was quite funny, so I decided to share it.
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Re: Sterile Radar Guns

Post by Freon22 »

Good story Bob :lol:

Kind of funny you posting about a cop just the other night. I got a service call about 7pm with the time it took me to get to the owners home fix their AC it was about 9pm when I left to head home. I was driving along when I seen a deputy sheriff pass me from the other direction. I look through the rearview mirror and I seen this cop make a fast U turn. “Crap he is coming for me” So I go ahead and pull over the cop came up and ask me how I knew that he was going to stop me. “Well I said I seen you make that U turn and seeing how I have a headlight out no windshield wipers” Yes forgot to say it was pouring down rain.
The cop turned out to be an OK guy, and only gave me three warring tickets. One bad headlight, no windshield wipers, and a bad tag light. LOL
So he gives me my tickets and I get into my truck and turn the key. The thing would not crank, so here we are me trying to redo the battery connections and the cop holding a flashlight standing in the rain.
Then over the radio the cop gets a call, he said he is sorry but he had to leave. Said he felt bad that he stop me and now I could not get the truck started. So he leaves and took his flashlight with him. Me in the dark, pouring rain, did I fail to say that this was in the middle of nowhere, no phone, no houses for miles, trying to redo the battery connections.

Life cann't get any better!!!!! :B.O.B.: