Hunting

Discuss everything strategical about SMR.
Hyphven

Hunting

Post by Hyphven »

I would like to learn how to hunt. What ships should I use? Where is the best spots for scouts? Lurking..What ever...

I want to learn so I can get into Veteran Games, I know the game and all it's options and such. I have been playing for about....4 months.

Thanks!
Ravenger
Beta Tester

Post by Ravenger »

i remember starting this same topic a few years ago on the old SM webboard.... i wish it was still up :) many valuble hunting techniques were there.... first off if you want to be a real hunter racial hunter (HBC Carp Rava Jug DS ITAC and Rogue are the racial hunters) or FU/DC are good options..... flying around in a top racial shooting at things is almost usless if your trying to hunt unless your anarchos.... 2nd is scouts :0 scouts are a great thing i tend to drop them along key routes and sometimes around locations if i need to find someone who is arming... other than that mines are nice... (btw i will kill you if you just single mine) and lurking is great
if you see a You Are Under Attack. screen its probly not me
Skarlet
Quiet One

Post by Skarlet »

or you could just get hunting lessons from Aeon for the low low price of $99.95 a week
Imhotep
Quiet One

Post by Imhotep »

I can give you Aeon's hunting lesson for free :) here is the Aeon Flux plan, don't tell anyone:

Sit around above a planet and claim your ISP is unreliable, wait for someone else to spoot or find a trader/enemy warship/whatever, jump to said target while the original finder fires like madd, thus securing Aeons kill while he doesn't even know if he is in sector or not :) Have him thank you for the kill and jump back to planet in case his ISP acts up. The End.

hehe
AEoN FLuX
Beta Tester

Post by AEoN FLuX »

Oh no my secret's out......guess next time i will let you fight Dev's all on your own.
Ravenger
Beta Tester

Post by Ravenger »

or you could go with the Gomjabbar method :) have him get in a carp and lay scouts all over the gal and make you refresh them while he gets 7 to 8 kills a day cause of him swiching to TAC....
if you see a You Are Under Attack. screen its probly not me
Bonker
Beta Tester

Post by Bonker »

bah all these dam strategy posts on Hunting the easyest way is just to press the attack button and see who wins hehe
Wonks
Quiet One

Post by Wonks »

Every race (except Alskant of course) has a ship that is lumped into the category usually called "racial hunters". The hunter class for each race has medium defense and plenty of scouts. Most of the hunters also have mines for slowing down their prey. Scouts are good for tracking trader movement while well-placed mines can keep your prey from escaping quickly.

Sitting over a popular port is not a good way to hunt (unless you have a high level and cloak maybe). Most hunters use a combination of scout drones and their scanners to figure out when and where they should strike. I find that the best time is usually just as the trader is getting into the port's trade screen. Scanning the port from an adjacent sector and entering just after you see a new ship has entered is one of my favorite methods. Drop a mine if you have it and open fire. If they try to run in any direction except the direction they came from they'll hit the mine, which will stop them in their tracks.

There are much better ways of figuring out where someone trades besides using scouts (mostly using common sense), but I'll leave those alone for now.
Blade
Admin Emeritus

Post by Blade »

Attack (3)

SPAM
SPAM
SPAM

Then a message stating

You where DESTROYED By AEoN FLuX (109) in sector #1234

Shortly followed by a very dull, long and stomach turning journey in a ship no bigger than a shoe box all the way back to your HQ. It takes about 1-2 hours to get the feeling of cramp out of your legs and back after being peeled from your pod like a sardine.

That was a valuable lesson on not to hunt
The truth is there, just don't look blindly
Agent51

Post by Agent51 »

dont take advice from ravenger