Smart 1v1ing

Discuss everything strategical about SMR.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Smart 1v1ing

Post by XDemonX »

1v1 Guide

I got a few requests for this guide so I figured I would post it. I was hesitant to post this guide because revealing this technique will of course make it much more difficult for me to clean up as easily as I do in 1v1s. But due to my activity going down I might as well share as much info as I can.

Unlike what most people think, 1v1ing takes skill and strategy. Most people who asks to fight you or random people you run into and start fighting will just go in sector and unload on you. If you are facing these types of people then you should rarely ever lose a 1v1 (which i find this is majority of people). Firing until death is the dumbest thing ever and is not fun. You're are essentially using no skill and are just flipping a coin.

First is your weapon setup. This is extremely important in fighting. There are a lot of times you will know what ship you're going to fight against, if you do then you can tailor yourself. If you're fighting a Devestator then you want 1 HHG and all armor weapons. If you can't get a HHG then you want to get 2 shield weapons to = at least 300 damage then the rest armor. If you're fighting a MS you want to go shield heavy. Not extremely shield heavy but at least 600 shield damage will do. For all other ships, you want to go armor heavy with low accuracy hard hitting shield weapons like HHG or WQ shield vaporizers. I will explain the logic for this below.

First thing to do when you agree to a 1v1 or know where you're going to be fighting is search for the closest uno. Know how to get there WITHOUT plotting. You WILL need uno.

When fighting, you want to control trigger. What this means is you want to be the first to fire. It is dumb to sit there and watch them fire on you. This use to work in the past but everyone's connection is so fast all you're doing by sitting there watching them firing at you is bending over for them. To gain control of trigger simply enter sector, and re-enter. By this, you're hoping to time it so they got examine on you then "target has left sector" this way you can examine and fire to get first 1-2 shots.

It is important to get first shot because you want to decide if you want to commit or run. If you follow my logic of using hard hitting low accuracy weapons like HHG/WQ shield vaporizers then you're looking for those babies to hit. If they don't hit on the first shot, CS run to uno and return rinse and repeat. If those weapons hit and you out shoot your opponent by at least 200-250 damage then unload, you have a good chance of winning.

Keep fishing for these big first shots it is worth the extra turns to do this. I rarely ever lose a 1v1 doing this.

Uno fighting is much more trickier. I like to fire a lot to make the opponent to think I am unloading which I am actually just baiting them to fire twice.. my pattern is this.. Fire once, CS, uno, CS, fire again. I continue to do this uno when I am at the uno screen and I have to uno shields/armor 2 times in a row. This means they're firing on me more than once. Because I fired on them, and they're firing on me 2 times then I will most likely have a chance to kill them in 2 shots. If you cannot kill them in 2 shots then CS and uno and repeat. 3 shotting is risky and only should be done if you are doing armor the first 2 shots as soon as you notice you're doing shield damage again then CS and uno.

Always pay attention to CPL. People like to 2v1 so if you're in a long battle with someone be aware of other people seeing combat logs and flying in to help their friends.

Mines can be used to your advantage to gain control of trigger and also gain a small advantage by making them lose shields.

The best 1v1 ship in the game is Dark Mirage only if you have higher exp than your opponent. The reason behind this is because of cloak. With cloak, I am able to fire 2-3 times before the opponent can fire once. This means I get to see 2-3 triggers to decide if I want to commit or run. If you're fighting someone with cloak, then use mines to make them lose cloak and get control of trigger do not let them fire on you.

Finally, it is important after getting the kill to leave sector, fully uno and get somewhere safe before gloating to your enemy and looking over combat logs. If I see a kill in the news, I rush there fast. Most people are in the area and are looking at combat logs or messaging the person they killed so I can clean up easily on them.
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
Incognito
Quiet One

Re: Smart 1v1ing

Post by Incognito »

I'll add that if you are in an MS, it is especially important that you fire. If someone is firing at you and hitting drones, your return shot will be much weaker. Same applies to any ship with drones, just to a lesser degree.
I+N+C+O+G+N+I+T+O=Not you

I took a calculated risk. Unfortunately, I am bad at math.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

Incognito wrote:I'll add that if you are in an MS, it is especially important that you fire. If someone is firing at you and hitting drones, your return shot will be much weaker. Same applies to any ship with drones, just to a lesser degree.
It is never the best strategy to sit there and let people fire at you. Like I stated, because of how fast everyone is and how important that last shot it you need to be firing if you plan to commit. It is near impossible to time it so you get the last shot but you can at least dictate the first couple shots.
JettJackson
Fledgling Spam Artist

Post by JettJackson »

Incognito wrote:I'll add that if you are in an MS, it is especially important that you fire. If someone is firing at you and hitting drones, your return shot will be much weaker. Same applies to any ship with drones, just to a lesser degree.
I would say with any fight it is best to be firing no matter what ship you are in if you are doing a 1v1. Those who sit there and let people fire on them are just easy kills.
Lead: Sesame Street, Rogue Squad

Co-Lead: Suckas, Black Sun Ascending, Wraith Squadron, Fool's Errend, Team Poker, The Phantom Order, Toxic #5

Member of: Team Pup and Suds, Nintendo Power, System Failure, Crusaders, new dawn, Cereal Killers, Armory, Armory V2, _-=`Perfection`=-_, The Guild, Ragnarok, Heimdall, United Rebels, ilLegitimate Basterds

I've seen and done it all
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

JettJackson wrote:
I would say with any fight it is best to be firing no matter what ship you are in if you are doing a 1v1. Those who sit there and let people fire on them are just easy kills.
You're either firing or you're running. There are instances where you should be sitting there, that is near an uno if you're fighting an opponent that is trigger happy it may be best to let them fire on you then run to uno and try to catch them at uno. Sometimes when people are trigger happy and fast it is difficult to use my strategy as by the time you see the first shot, you may not have time to CS and run especially if you mistime the control of trigger.