Newbie FAQ

Discuss everything strategical about SMR.
Blum
Chat Troll

Post by Blum »

What do they care?
As long as you do your job.......
Alucard
Beta Tester

Post by Alucard »

Going Helpdesk isn't as catchy, and will insult too many people, as they will hear that and instantly think "hey I AM that stupid!" But won't do a darn thing about it....oh well.
Oldie..not a goodie :)
Former Member of (I won't remember everything):
Northstar Boot Camp, Northstar, SPB, Beyond Doubt, several others.
Trader by trade, Fighter by force, Planet Buster by necessity.
Alucard
Beta Tester

Post by Alucard »

Well hell let's keep this up, and have a Newbie FAQ turn into the Alu/Blum convo that is 5 pages long;) They care because it is "company policy". The only reason I am in this at all is because I do internet support, otherwise I would be like the rest of the people upstairs, they can't even get on the internet and will be fired if caught on it....
Blum
Chat Troll

Post by Blum »

Having a dumb company policy is bad business. Someone should explain it to them.
BTW, my apologies to anyone reading this thread and expecting to find anything about FAQ:)
Alucard
Beta Tester

Post by Alucard »

Ah..my apologies as well! :lol: Well, it used to be good, you ask the elder techs here and they get misty eyed at the "good ol' days". Days where you would have 8 player Unreal Tournament going on, as well as multiplayer AOE2. Time Warner is mostly TV, but the people that support that(us and the people upstairs) have to keep it to news or "Time Warner related Channels" or else we could all get into trouble. They think that by getting to adhere to "company policy" and not wavering that they are increasing production, but the only things they are increasing are tempers and people looking for ways to get out. Anyone out there got a space for a guy that can work Windows/Mac/DOS with firewalls and networking experience? :wink:
Blum
Chat Troll

Post by Blum »

Well, they do have a point. The more time you spend playing the less time you spend working. But I am not sure if that insreases productivity enough to make up for frustration atc.
About the job thing: sorry, too many unemployed guys like you running around:)
Alucard
Beta Tester

Post by Alucard »

well gotta let you know--in the "before system" when we took care of only internet (as 15-30 people) and we had over 300 people taking care of the tv side, our service lvl was like 92%, thiers was like 50%. So they(Corporate peoples) got the wild idea to throw the 300 people's jobs to us, and take them out. So now we have about ...30-50 people taking care of 500,000. And then they take away all the fun stuff that kept us sane and such. And they wonder why we are so disgruntled....Also--here is a funny thing to think about(at least for us) Their priorities are screwed up. We had e-mail out for a whole week, and they gave us a t-shirt for our troubles. (Our troubles included people driving by our manager's house and throwing stuff at it, and calling in death threats to us all). Then they schedule a 1 hour mandatory meeting for the company to tell us "how the company is doing" and what do we get for showing? A t-shirt! Go figure..... :roll:
Trib
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Trib »

Well, I have been asked to recommend ppl with those sort of skills to the agency that I started a contract with today. Only down side is that it is a little far for you to commute. :wink:

As of today I am an ADSL Technician, wow, the power. Oh well I actually find out what the heck that entails tomorrow when I start my training!

Oh, and at the risk of posting on topic for a little while. That formula you were talking about a page ago, governing your attack rating is the following:

Combat: Attack Rating = INT(((armor dmg + shield dmg)/40) + (drones/50))
Alucard
Beta Tester

Post by Alucard »

Ah...was wondering about that. Thanks:) The reason I started saying that in the first place was that to newbs at first they will get confused when we say "yeah this weap will protect you in Fed if you are this color, but this one(that has the same rating) won't(i.e. LPL vs. Sal Flux.) Good Luck in that new job, hope to talk to you soon:)
Trib
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Trib »

Thanks, going ok so far, only been doing training though so far. The real fun starts later in the week and into next week. Then I take 3 days off to be on robot wars after that!