Newbie FAQ

Discuss everything strategical about SMR.
DekeFentle

Post by DekeFentle »

So planets and Ports work differently?
Deke Fentle

Revelation 6:8
Trib
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Trib »

Planets and ports work as closely as they could get, though I don't think there was all the pertinent information for planets, and I think conflicting info was found for the ports.
Amazonia

Newbie FAQ

Post by Amazonia »

Oooh, I'd like to see the Newbie FAQ too - I have so many questions. I guess the most burning one is - Can I attack banks?
Plus ça change, plus cést pareil
B.O.B.
Admin Emeritus

Post by B.O.B. »

Nope. Plain and simple nope.

It has been suggested though in old SM. I remember suggestiong something like the following:

Bust a bank and get percentage deposited/widthdrawn just like Port raids, but traders who put money in wouldn't lose anything cause the Banks would have insurance. Just like in the real world if a bank gets busted the customers don't lose out cause of insurance and govenrment aid...at least it is that way in the US I believe.

Anyway on with the suggestion: The bank would keep track of how much the trader puts in/takes out. Now if the putting in out wayed the taking out it would freeze the difference in their account. Of course you could put in money in bank and take out in another to where the difference was more than what you had in your account it would just freeze the max. Now this frozen money would only be frozen until insurance reimbursed money to all. So by busting a bank known to be used by the enemy, you could possible freeze a large portion of their cash flow while netting a large deal of money. ALso the bank would be unusable to until repairs were made so a trader would have to travel a greater distance to get to a bank while bank was down.

Also all banks would decrease alignment no matter what, and would be = to a lvl 10+ port (maybe higher defense/offense based on how much the bank is used) So it would be deadly but if cost of deaths was outwayed by amount gained it would be worth it.

Also on a side note there are different kinds of banks so it would be possible to have banks compete with each in interest or something? Or instead of when busting a bank you would get a percentage of all cash resting in those type of bank accounts. So if someone used just one type of bank a large portion of their cash would be frozen, while as someone used more than one bank a smaller portion of their cash would be frozen.

Course this idea was shot down in the past and I doubt if anything like it would be implemented so nope you can't bust banks.
SGT Johnson, B.O.B.
Countries Visited: Afghanistan, Italy, Iraq, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan
Countries Lay Over: Germany, Ireland, Turkey
Blum
Chat Troll

Post by Blum »

If I remember correctly most governments protect the money only to a certain amount.
Alucard
Beta Tester

Post by Alucard »

F.D.I.C. in America insures money to 100,000. But Swiss banks....a ha! Anyways...Ama--shame on you--attacking banks! now we won't have anywhere to put the money!! Well..make banks like lvl 12 ports! lol--pod a round. Make it worth attacking! And praise be that the server isn't in America...if it did follow american rules Blum...and only insured up to 100,000? Oh hell we would be screwed! :lol:
Oldie..not a goodie :)
Former Member of (I won't remember everything):
Northstar Boot Camp, Northstar, SPB, Beyond Doubt, several others.
Trader by trade, Fighter by force, Planet Buster by necessity.
Alucard
Beta Tester

Post by Alucard »

Remember while you are showing ratings and power lvls of ships and weaps that some to most of the weapons will show you different rating once bought on the side of your screen. So, in determining ratings please remember that the HHG gives a ridiculous rating of 8, don't know why(I have had that rating each time with diff. ships and that as my only weapon.) Also the Salvene Flux Cannon although says rating of 3 has an actual rating of 4, and combining the same weaps will sometimes up the rating alltogether. If you had everything in accordance in an FU, with HHG, 3x Salvene Flux, and 2 CBD's, you would have 5+3+3+3+4+4...or 22. Add CD's and you would have the "mighty FU" at around 26. The reason I am saying this is that I have had people come to me questioning why if they buy a lvl 5 weap, or 2 lvl 3 weaps that they mysteriously show up as offense rating of 8, or 7 or so forth, and or buy a lvl 3 weap because someone said they wouldn't die with an off. rating of 3 if they were yellow, and logged in to a death screen because it turned out that was an actual lvl 4 weap.
Blum
Chat Troll

Post by Blum »

Power level and offensive rating are 2 different things. Offensive rating is determined through some formula that takes into account only shield and armour damage.(for formulas go to Deke:))
Power level is a number that says how many of a certain weapon you can have on your ship.
Alucard
Beta Tester

Post by Alucard »

True, but to newbies, that would be a lot to digest in the beginning:)
Blum
Chat Troll

Post by Blum »

Well, the best way to adress that problem IMNSHO is to write something scary on the weapon list.