Password Maps Alliances

Discuss everything strategical about SMR.
crector

Post by crector »

Elvis Fett:

You have presented a pretty good idea in letting players earn exp just by moving around. However, that is exactly what they do in TDZK . Also, in TDZK, the game maps are already filled in for the players with no real exploration needed on their part.

If SM/SMR is to survive and thrive in the increasingly crowded space strategy browser based game market, it needs to be different from other games, to be unique that is. Your proposal here would just make SM/SMR seem to be copying the good features of other games instead of going on its own path. If SM/SMR gets the tag of being a copycat game, then its as good as dead in today's market.

crector
House Forsaken
http://www.clan-forsaken.com
Meathead
Quiet One

I like it

Post by Meathead »

I like V's idea of unexplored worth a few exp and explored worth one. It isn't like a person is going to hit #1 by moving alone. If a player did nothing but move and he had a 12turns/hour ship, he could get 17k exp in 2 months. No big deal. Also, the idea is that you get experience points for doing things that would (in the virtual reality of the game) make you a better space merchant. Just flying around and not dying would do that so why not give points for it. It would also give a few extra points to the traders that trade further outside of Fed Protection rather than punishing them further for sticking their necks out.
Knightedge

Post by Knightedge »

agreed... and it would even out the scouters and traders a bit more at the beginning of the game as well. Each alliance mate has their roles to fill (be them traders, scouters, hunters, builders, or a combination of them).

It may also be proposed that upon completing a build on a planet, the person who iniciated it could be awarded some exp (I have no idea what would be fair). But regardless, it costs turns to stock a planet with building materials, it cost money to begin building, and the time to build also would slow a builder down. I am definitely NOT saying make it as profitable in exp as trading, but I think some compensation would help the builders out... besides, if i built a turret capable of flying into space, I think that i would gain some valuable experience out of it (or be arrested, but either way)...
Falcor

Post by Falcor »

Have to agree here, have played several of the Space Merchant versions and most have a flaw. Small alliances that try to make it on thier own have to explore the area they trade in constantly, so the traders and hunters are low on xp, but even the hunters would benefit from this idea. They spend alot of turns hunting for someone, or a used route, then they just have to watch. Well, this would let them help themselves and thier alliances by getting the hunters to act as scouts. Helping everyone out. But this is just my opinion, and I am still a newbie rank on this game. :lol:
RedDragon
Quiet One

Post by RedDragon »

Will this suggestion not just improve the experience of races like Thevian. While it would not affect the experience race much - most people use neutral traders - the people hunting etc in racial ships will be yet enough reason not to pick races like Ikky.
It is not only rewarding what is basically a thankless alliance job but is rewarding fast races.
Knightedge

Post by Knightedge »

while I do think it would benefit the faster races more, I also think that there is still an appeal to play with the Ik-thorne and other slower bulky races... I mean, we see a LARGE number of WQ humans because the rogue, blockade runner and DM are all very excellent ships, with versatility. To play a race like the Alaskant or Ik-Thorne places you in certain rolls in an alliance... but, if the player didn't want that roll or like the ships available, he wouldn't have picked that race in the first place.
yamo
Quiet One

Post by yamo »

getting experience for exploring and moving is kinda lame imho...the point is to gather info...Newbie Spies glow in the dark!
Old Soul. Newbie Skills!
Apollo
Quiet One

Post by Apollo »

Really off topic

Imperial where is your image from which game?:P
to Win the game is by TRUSTING on your TEAM mates:)
Smor
Quiet One

Post by Smor »

im for giving exp for every sector explored.
and that is the way it should be.
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

Smor wrote:im for giving exp for every sector explored.
and that is the way it should be.
Thats what ME did and SM is to I think. As for myself yes/no?