Password Maps Alliances

Discuss everything strategical about SMR.
Imperial

Post by Imperial »

You evidently didnt read what I posted.

Ill resay it for you
Its just as dangerous as trading is at the begining of the game
At the begining of the game your under newbie protection for 500 turns, meaning thats 500 turns of safe trading. And once out of newbie, there are very few hunters at the begining of the game, and the ones that are around are usually pretty weak because they dont have enough $$$ for big hunting ships.
Carnuth
Quiet One

Post by Carnuth »

I did read what you wrote, and it was still wrong.

You say you have 500 newbie turns to trade? That in itself is incorrect. So even if you look around spending, say, 50 turns, you have 450 left to trade, and say you find a route, you are still using 4 turns in addition to the distance you travel, that in itself makes you run out of newbs faster. Now say the scouter and trader stop at 1 newbie turn and save turns to max-because i doubt if you scout, you want to return to fed when your newbs are about to run out, same with trading- Now you are very much at risk, and my previous post comes into play perfectly.

And as you say, there are very little hunters out there, true, but the point is, they are there. I ran into a nice bounty hunter last game just as i was at my last newbie turn. And i wasnt even in the thevian galaxy. So! Hunter's are around early in game, regardless of how few, and regardless of how few, they will come after you.
Last edited by Carnuth on Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dawnrazors, shadow, system failure, cereal killers, death control, suckas, armory
Imperial

Post by Imperial »

Well thats your problem, I usually spend no turns looking around because I just wait a day and find a route off the galaxy map while the scouts do their job.
And another flaw in your analysis is you said you would run out of newbies faster. This is a falacy because the scouts would be burning every turn they get as soon as they get them, putting them the first out of newbie.
Carnuth
Quiet One

Post by Carnuth »

i am presuming that the scouter will stop at 1 newbie turn to max out turns, its kinda logical, no? that would actually make both run out of turns at the same time if they both started at the same time. ANd then the traders are more at risk.
dawnrazors, shadow, system failure, cereal killers, death control, suckas, armory
Thauglor
Quiet One

Post by Thauglor »

Well if I scout I'm normaly Thevian or WQ, get a 11 or 12 speed ship and I'm out of newbie way faster than traders.
The almighty Thauglor
Lords of Melnibone

HoA, DS, UT, TC, TE, TSM, DD, DEATH, SP, DC, Virus, MH
Rosebud
Quiet One

Post by Rosebud »

*agrees with Thauglor*

When you scout you get a ship with lots of turns so you can finish scouting faster, thus getting you the most amount of information quicker. The faster pace ship gains more turns and burns them faster than a trader can, thus they DO NOT run out at the same time.
B.O.B. - Rosebud is one of craziest cool drunks I know.
Elvis Fett

Post by Elvis Fett »

Do you guys play the same game?

Personally I think just moving to the next sector explored or not should give xp.

Exploring may be a real easy thing to do the first few days. A week or two later half that info is completely useless.

Exploring and scouting is a CONSTANT job.

- Ports are upgraded

- Ports claimed by another race

- Planets become claimed

- Large concentrations of forces to find

Exploring after game starts is VERY dangerous

- Fast ships have poor defenses

- Force owners must be found out so it requires blundering into them

- Scouts are ussually well hated by force owners and hunted.

The whole point is why even bother forcing a player to explore all the sectors the first time? In 3-4 days most of the large alliances have complete maps anyways. Those who do not are usually less fortunate players, the new player.

If the new player dies too often just trying to find his way around most likely they will just quit playing. If you people want a better game you need to start thinking player retention. Not much point in running a game if only 100-200 out of 5000 actually enjoy it.
Cnh-

Post by Cnh- »

Elvis Fett wrote:Do you guys play the same game?

Personally I think just moving to the next sector explored or not should give xp.

Exploring may be a real easy thing to do the first few days. A week or two later half that info is completely useless.

Exploring and scouting is a CONSTANT job.

- Ports are upgraded

- Ports claimed by another race

- Planets become claimed

- Large concentrations of forces to find

Exploring after game starts is VERY dangerous

- Fast ships have poor defenses

- Force owners must be found out so it requires blundering into them

- Scouts are ussually well hated by force owners and hunted.

The whole point is why even bother forcing a player to explore all the sectors the first time? In 3-4 days most of the large alliances have complete maps anyways. Those who do not are usually less fortunate players, the new player.

If the new player dies too often just trying to find his way around most likely they will just quit playing. If you people want a better game you need to start thinking player retention. Not much point in running a game if only 100-200 out of 5000 actually enjoy it.
I agree... give a little bit of exp for just moving. That might encourage me(and others) to actually move aroun vet instead of looking at the HQ everyday
Vtreka
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Vtreka »

I am half and half on the issue of moving for xp... 1xp for an explored sector and 2-3xp for an unexplored sector seems pretty reasonable, just not sure whether its a good idea or not. Maybe, i like being able to get xp for doing nothing, but there is xp to be gained from moving around especially when your evading hunters... its not like your gaining TONS of xp for it or any cash either.
Founder of: Death Control, Life Control and The Order
Member of: DK, CM, EdL, Northstar, RR, FTV, FI, SPB, TD, LoM, LB
Elvis Fett

Post by Elvis Fett »

Well if an unexplored sector was worth a bit it might be enough for players to actually explore themselves instead of just getting maps from others.