Hunting...

Discuss everything strategical about SMR.
Ravenger

Hunting...

Post by Ravenger »

I figured someone had to start it... but now that mines don't slow people down what are some good hunting Strategys for us less good hunters out there
anonymous

Post by anonymous »

well the strategy i see everyone useing is leave scouts at every port above level 6 so no one can trade and get any money or experience makeing it so the 3 big aliances stay big and no small aliances or solo traders can get anywhere in the game, SMR has turned into nothing but a big hunting game which is why im not playing for a while, i might come back in 5 months or so and see if SMR is still nothing but a slaughter house for people who like to trade
RandyOrsolo

dude....

Post by RandyOrsolo »

If you actually use your brain while trading you can easily avoid deaths. Watch the online list, try to find routes that aren't heavily scouted. Extremely easy to do. If you trade where they're looking for you, of course you're going to die a lot.

Post by guest »

actualy i agree with the other anon poster, i wouldnt have any problem trading if it was just difficult, ive been playing sm for years and know how to trade but even with average trading skills its still damn near impossible, there are scouts everywhere adn there is always at least one of the owners of the scouts online, you would just end up wasteing all your turns to find a trade route and then the next day see scouts on it again and have to go looking for a new route, i think something that might solve this is if you had to look at the sectors before they show up on the map, since hunters know where all the good ports are then they can put scouts out much easier and this make upgradeing ports pointless to because as soon as the port level goes up it shows up on the map as upgraded so you cant even build a trade route to level 9 without ever hunter knowing just by looking at the map, they dont even need to go to the sector to get the map refreshed on port up grades
Warlock
Quiet One

Sheer Brilliance

Post by Warlock »

First off, I want to personally applaud the courage of our anon posters, who believe in their statements so much that they won't stick their names on them.

Secondly, time spent in SM alone has nothing to do with avoiding hunters or dying profusely. All that takes is a small amount of competence and an iota of common sence. Like A)The best ports in game are going to be the most popular ports, and thus the best hunting grounds. Thus, more scouts B)The owner of a scout is not online 24/7. It is easily possibly to trade over someone scout if you pay attention to the CPL. If he's on it, and you keep pinging him, either he or his buddy WILL show up. It's called 'asking for trouble'. C)Many ports will have but a few to no scouts on it, thus making trading safe. I was on a 1.3 route today, with 1 guys scout. Easy to watch out for him and make my 8 mil.
DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter »

but even with average trading skills its still damn near impossible.
ROFLMAO

One of the skills to being a good trader is avoiding hunters.
Soulkeeper

Post by Soulkeeper »

OK, I'll speak up for these guys even if they wont. SMR, is supposed to be as close a replica of SM as possible. This means that SMR is also a trading game, with the extra fun of tring to avoid those who do hunt profusely. For me, the game is a trading game, I have tried my hand at hunting in the past but found I am not as good as the likes of Ender Wiggen :D . I agree with these anonymous entries that scouts are a severe pest and i do support MrSpock's decision to impose some restrictions on them. I am not biting at those who do hunt and use scouts to aid their efforts...but some fom of break where a nice place to trade where you wont get killed every dy would be..um...nice. With some skill, these deaths CAN be avoided, but it is hard to do this...i have hd experience in the past when i have gone from a something from a 10 defence to death before i can finish a trade properly. Oh well, no1 said trading was easy, and I wont complain...I'm just bringing across a small opinion. :D
Violence may well be a barbaric and crude form of communication. But it is most certainly very useful when all other forms of communication fail.

Post by Guest »

ok those of you that posted about how trading being easy to stay alive and it only takes an iota to do it, how about you get into a tradeing ship ok, and then trade for about 5 days and tell me how many of you die, i know how to avoid hunters and infact i didnt die once last game so but this game is impossible to trade in for more then 5 days and not die if you arent in one of the top 3 aliances

Post by Guest »

Some people seem to manage...
Soulkeeper

Post by Soulkeeper »

Our anonymous friend does have a point. I have noticed that the particularly good hunters start their hunting in the game early so that they do not have a threat from other hunters while they are trading. If these hunters did try and have a good shot at trading I'd be interested to see how they would cope :)
Violence may well be a barbaric and crude form of communication. But it is most certainly very useful when all other forms of communication fail.