Hunting using SMC, your opinion?

Discuss everything strategical about SMR.

What do you think about hunting via XP increments?

It is OK. It takes some skill to do and adds an extra element to the game
42%
It is not OK. Hunting should be accomplished through scouts/intel
42%
No opinion either way
17%

Total votes: 84

Vladdy
Quiet One

Post by Vladdy »

I'd say bring it back, if people want to hunt using SMC they should be able to, since it's removed any toddler can hunt down most people...
Merchants Guide to the Universe
http://mgu.smrealms.de

Retired!!!
OmegaRenegade
Admin Emeritus

Post by OmegaRenegade »

if you need smc to hunt then you shouldnt be hunting, if you are going to be hunting you should do it with skill, not by watching a few numbers and checking a list
My ties are severed clean, the less I have the more I gain, off the beaten path I reign, rover, wanderer, nomad, vagabond, call me what you will

Max Power
Quiet One

Post by Max Power »

wait... i may be new to this whole reading thing, but is vladdy trying to say that the removal of smc hunting has actually made hunting easier??? i would beg to differ, news is alot slower than they were in the smc hunting days, which is a good thing, /me just thinks someone is mad that they cant get kills anymore...
Who is this guy??
Vladdy
Quiet One

Post by Vladdy »

it's less news because there are less active players, enough threads has been about that, as a matter of fact I *WISH* people would SMC hunt me, trading has become sooo boring, i could just sit on my routes for hours while chatting in #smr and still no1 would find me :( all hunters are now hunting galaxies that have more traders, so they have more chance of finding prey, also, traders are stupid enough to trade on scouts even with the owner coming online :/ instead of just having to guess from a few possible different route (which eats turns as well), you now know exactly where he trades and how long he stays at a port

Retired!!!
Edain
Quiet One

Post by Edain »

which is information you could have gotten just as easily while SMC hunting still existed. The removal of SMC hunting has in no way made hunting easier.
Edain
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

Vladdy your points only show that hunting has become harder, and people who choose to trade on scouts aren't related to SMC hunting anyway.
If you want to be hunted Vladdy just global message your route whenever you plan to trade on it...
Vladdy
Quiet One

Post by Vladdy »

what's the point? what i was saying was it hasn't become harder to hunt, but the turn costs of scouts make only the heavily populated racial galaxies a target for traders, the rest isn't cared about any more at least SMC Hunting allowed you to pick someone from any galaxy, not just the ones with many traders...

Retired!!!
Page
SMR Coder

Post by Page »

from what I know of SMC hunting, not that I've ever done it, is that people used SMC hunting to hunt racials most of the time anyway, and if it was hunting a neutral then it was because they had info they had gathered that a certain trader was trading there...
Grey
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Grey »

Nah if you were smart enough you could track a trader in the neutrals as well. But most traders are in the racials so naturally most tracks led there...
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

Heres My opinion:

No matter what people think about SMC hunting. It was not solely responsible for all the pods of traders. The best hunters memorize where people trade, specific ports they remember, certain areas, so they used that to help judge where someone was trading. If the hunter did not have up to date smc, then he could still find the route distances through numbers but have no clue where it actually was. I have tried to use smc to hunt but from my experience it only works maybe one of of 6 or so times to actually find someone, and even then, get to them (where ever theya re) before they finish trading. And I heard before that anyone could find a traders route within 30 seconds of them starting to trade, This is a total fabrication in my opinion, and if its not to you then you are very exceptional. But for me, You goto wait for the trader to make 4-5 exp gains, you have to find the differences, check these numbers on a chart to see what ship and distances theyre using, and then you have to go loook through your smc to see if you can possibly find a matching trade route. and ontop of this you would have to go to where the person is tradiing, ALL before they finish.

To Conclude:

It did take some skill, and some memorization didnt hurt. But I dont miss it, the game is jsut as good without it as it was before.
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC