Hunting using SMC, your opinion?

Discuss everything strategical about SMR.

What do you think about hunting via XP increments?

It is OK. It takes some skill to do and adds an extra element to the game
42%
It is not OK. Hunting should be accomplished through scouts/intel
42%
No opinion either way
17%

Total votes: 84

Anarchos
Quiet One

Post by Anarchos »

I hate SMC, part of the thrill of hunting for me was actually locating people, figuring out where they trade, etc. It was something that took skill, now it takes downloading SMC.

Back in the day to make sure I calculated the possible ports right from the xp rise, I'd slip in check supply and demand then slip out, wait for my victim's xp to rise, then slip in and recheck supply/demand. If the s/d didn't move then I'd eliminate the port/routes from my list of possibilities then with the field narrowed, go in and attempt the kill.

Where is the skill or thrills in using SMC?
...Tag Line Not Included...
Vladdy
Quiet One

Post by Vladdy »

personally I think smc hunting should be allowed if you have big galaxy, in small galaxies like this I dont think it should be allowed, although traders would get an enormous advantage then, it will be compensated by easier find traders because galaxies are a lot smaller, if we get big galaxies again I think SMC hunting should be allowed again :s
johnn835

umm noobie here

Post by johnn835 »

sorry, I uh, haven't played in a while. What is SMC hunting?
Grey
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Grey »

Tracking ppl down using exp changes from cpl and a third party program called SMC (Space Merchant Companion)
Imhotep
Quiet One

Post by Imhotep »

Why is this form of hunting being referred to as "SMC Hunting"? As long as there are galaxy maps where everyone can see every port, there will ALWAYS be people who can watch your exp change and find you. People have been doing it forever and they will continue doing so. It is quite a bit easier due to SMC's handy trade route finder feature, but other programs are out there to find trade routes and others will be made when needed. There is no point of getting ;) at SMC.
ARES
Beta Tester

Post by ARES »

Imhotep is correct,how do you think people got podded before SMC? :roll:
"boom" your dead
skipdrive rules
BooRawl
Quiet One

Post by BooRawl »

SMC hunting is not easy and anyone who can pod people easily using smc my hat is off to them.... easy highest exp person trading is more than likely trading the best or second best route in their galaxy. This is not rocket science lets's play.
NeoDemus

Post by NeoDemus »

I'm amazed that most of you think smc is good, i have some reactions in this thread:

http://smrcnn.smrealms.de/viewtopic.php?p=28935#28935

where imo i have good arguments for you to fight and/or discuss 8)

should i just plainly post them here or do you actually click this link and look at my posts (and Carnuth's because he tried to countered some of my arguments) :twisted:

I have looked at to many plp fighting for that one route a (newbie) trader is trading or a good smart coder adepting to make life even easier in smr then to just ignore this issue. It also makes trading kinda freakin easy and therefor totally dead while it's still called space MERCHANT realms. Hunters do get enough newbie kills to get some decent exp and good traders are thus not bothered by good hunters because they won't spend turns on them to actually hunt them (it gives them to little exp, i have experienced it a bit too much, look at the other thread)

plz post your opinion and stop using the word 'whining' because it kinda kills a discussion...

If you think i see things outa proportion or do agree and have examples (and have decent experience with it like being a good hunter or a leader of a 'newbie' alliance) plz post, because i'm really close to quitting if all plp think like Carnuth :?
Carnuth
Quiet One

Post by Carnuth »

if you dont think Imhotep knows what hes talking about...
dawnrazors, shadow, system failure, cereal killers, death control, suckas, armory
Vtreka
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Vtreka »

NeoDemus how DO you think people found traders before SMC? Exactly the same as SMC does it except a lot better because you get all the routes when you doing it yourself... true it does take longer but why do you think SMC was developed :P DUH

You think a hunter can't just make his own list then hunt the same way you do via SMC? So your question becomes why not take the experience listings away from the CPL? Well my question is why bother? Even if you manage to get rid of SMC then taking away that way for hunters to find traders makes it even harder to hunt. You are claiming that SMC makes it to easy to hunt traders. How is it easier? Easier to find them yes, easier to kill them no. Does SMC tell you how many scouts and mines are around? No. Does it tell you exactly which port the trader is at and when to go in and kill them? No. If its too easy to find traders its because traders need to learn to trade better. Get rid of experience off CPL and you just make everyone have to put scouts everywhere... and last thing we need is to spend 5 seconds loading each page because there are 50 scouts in every sector. Having the experience on CPL helps that you can find people's routes without scouts, and adds to the lurk ability.

I mean who is gonna trade a route with 50 scouts on it so that everyone knows where he trades, when he trades, and he can never get time to trade a port without someone hunting him. You wanna talk about hurting newbies. Well that will do it.
Founder of: Death Control, Life Control and The Order
Member of: DK, CM, EdL, Northstar, RR, FTV, FI, SPB, TD, LoM, LB