Educate instead of Placate

Discuss everything strategical about SMR.
Hellman109
Beta Tester

Post by Hellman109 »

Keep an eye on the news.

If I want to trade a port big time, I acatually record the time of a kill at a port, and who did it, do that over a few days and you can learn many peoples hunting patterns, and can therfoer avoid them.

Also check the nwes before even starting to trade, make sure that there isnt a hunter getting kills in there, can be dangerous.

If you have a decent alliance, get someone in IRC to keep track of the news and CPL, if that scout you pinged owner come online, he will be after you probably, also if there's a kill at the port, you know where to avoid.

Dont trade one route, or at one time, any decent hunter will spot this if your a good target, and be after you.

Hunters in decent alliances will get a team member to drop scouts then sleep on the planet or fed, a good tactic is to get a trader to do this. You ping the scout, know them as a trader and know ther offline and think your safe, where really it's him feeding info to the hunter in IRC.
All I heard was blah blah blah, Im a little whinger.
Carnuth
Quiet One

Post by Carnuth »

best way to trade : IST / PSF = mine and a SD at each end, mines scattered along your route providing a safe passage away which u are aware of in advance, you should know your way back to fed safely as well
dawnrazors, shadow, system failure, cereal killers, death control, suckas, armory
Trigek
Admin Emeritus

Post by Trigek »

Have a escape route in mind already before you trade, and its probably worth it that you take extra turns going a longer way to fed than straight to fed if you are up in the rankings.
NeoDemus

Post by NeoDemus »

get an IST and buy jump and forces on it

after that, when you go trading i always mine every sec i pass and put scouts on the ports

In the last trade (when the port is drained until it has like 300 left), pickup your forces again, and go to another route or fed

and remember that if u see a msg jump straight back to fed (maybe move 1 sec if he's in yr sec to a sec with another mine of yourself in it, then jump).

This has saved me quite a lot of times from those damn dark mirage's :)

and oh yeah, don't forget to laugh at the hunter after you are safely back in fed again and he trips over all your mines :lol:
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

NO pee breaks while trading!
NO beer breaks while trading! (get beforehand)
NO Girlfriends while trading! (or atleast have both hands free)

Dont stop and go do something else
always move fast
constantly click the current sector button
move on local map / memorize your route
BE VERY FAST
maybe every 4-5 trades give yourself a bad price to throw off your exp gain a little and screw up smc hunters
Trading a neutral port makes it harder for people to find your route
cloaked ship are cool ;-)

and remember, dont drink and trade! you might spill your beer!
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC
Shesmu
Quiet One

Post by Shesmu »

Excellent tips in the posts above. Here are a few of my key rules...

While trading
-----------------
- Never read messages while trading - that goes double for scout-messages
- Never trade in a 0/ ship. You'd be surprised how many traders die to other tradeships - carry a gun !
- Always trade with an armor-weapon - so you can handle a minor minefield/kill a scout
- Never trade with too many weapons so you can't be under fed protection

While running (and you will)
-----------------
- Never head for the nearest UNO if you're attacked - go to fed
- Always jettison any evil cargo you have as soon as you reach fed space

After trading
-----------------
- Never use the bank closest to fed if at all possible.
- Bank before you trade instead of after you trade - the lazy hunter will be waiting
- Always enter a bank on local map - run if you see anyone!
- Check if you are protected before you log off ! ALWAYS ! Even if you're sure !!!
--
A word from our sponsor: NEW ISSUE OF NEWS CONTROL !
http://smrcnn.smrealms.de/viewtopic.php?t=3412
NEWS CONTROL - 24/7 Independent SMR News
Max Power
Quiet One

Post by Max Power »

also as far as banks go, if your ship has a scanner, use it before you enter. chech the scan, and then if the def of ships IS dont add up to the enemy ship scan/10, then get your butt out of there, cuz that means A) there is either a cloaker there, or B) someone is trying to fool you with IG. other than that its just the basics, check news/cpl. and scout/mine at each port, if you want scatter some singles on the route, if any of them disappear, u know someone is in the area
Who is this guy??
Blum
Chat Troll

Post by Blum »

If counting ships takes you too long, you'll probably be dead if they don't add up:)
Max Power
Quiet One

Post by Max Power »

well, then i only recommend that last bit of info for people who arent dumb.
Who is this guy??
Wilber-

Post by Wilber- »

Geez, isnt this stuff covered to death in the Newbie forum? After playing here your 1st week, it should be pretty much a common sense issue. I don't think you can educate somebody in common sense. Its kinda like a left foot. If you don't have one, your not going to grow one by education!

Fact is traders will die. If they didn't, a large facet of the game would be missing, imo.
Only the good die young
and I intend to live forever!