Cloak Power

Discuss everything strategical about SMR.

Do you think that cloak is to powerfull?

Yes
12%
No
76%
I think I'm Kena!
12%

Total votes: 59

PaTer
Quiet One

Cloak Power

Post by PaTer »

Do you think that cloak gives to much of an advantage?
"Evil and good are God's right hand and left."
-Philip James Bailey
Vtreka
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Vtreka »

Absolutely not. You need to have high xp to use it for a start and its not invulnerable. It takes a skilled person to avoid people throwing mines in its way as Bluecrafter did last game without taking a pod.
Founder of: Death Control, Life Control and The Order
Member of: DK, CM, EdL, Northstar, RR, FTV, FI, SPB, TD, LoM, LB
Jez
Quiet One

Post by Jez »

No, the cloak is fine as is. It only gives an advantage if you have high XP which requires a good amount of work to get and while the advantage is obvious at high XP it still doesn't make you invincible.
Gaah
Grey
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Grey »

Yes and no. One thing I'd like to see is that it'll be either exp based or change it so ppl at the same level can see each other. Would make it a bit more hmmm interesting for those high leveled cloakers.
Jez
Quiet One

Post by Jez »

I dislike XP-based. I don't like for as small numbers as 1 xp to determine whether or not people can see eachother. It also makes it harder to keep track of.

I guess it could be changed so that you can see same lvl, but all in all I think the cloak works fine now. Like Vtreka said you still have to be good to avoid getting mined and keeled.
Gaah
Alucard
Beta Tester

Post by Alucard »

Yes cloak is good the only comment I have about it is indeed the issue with the experience. In old SM(and I remember this correctly now, I know it) you could see the other person with 1 pt. of higher experience. This was the happy moments of alliances when they found a cloaker that one of thier high exp. traders were close to an online, and he/she was frantically trading to see the person before he got online. Nowadays, with hunting exp so whacked out(I know they are trimming down but still) and even with trading experience at higher lvls, it comes close to impossible to do that. That "other way"--people working as a team in an alliance to assist the trader in seeing the cloaker and poss. decloaking it---are long gone...and it has taken away some very long standing alliance moments, as well as a key theme to keep trading.... I distinctly remember Mar himself in chat a lot going "man, gonna take #2 like 80k to see me"..because they had to not only trade up to his exp, but like 40k ABOVE that to see him...no way that would be able to happen. That is why I would like the experience factor to change...otherwise, cloak is cloak---takes skill to use and is NOT overpowered.
Carnuth
Quiet One

Post by Carnuth »

its slightly overpowered regarding seeing the same level, if it was changed to xp it would be better, so as to silence those who think its too powerful.
dawnrazors, shadow, system failure, cereal killers, death control, suckas, armory
Blum
Chat Troll

Post by Blum »

Alucard, you are talking about very old SM. I believe it was chaged to the current situation some time around TBB/MY1. Don't remember why.
Anyways, I agree with the suggestion.
Vtreka
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Vtreka »

As much as I thing the level way of cloak works, I think that using xp instead could be a more interesting idea. I like the idea of chasing that +1 xp to be able to see the person and rushing it before they get online to help your team mates decloak and kill that person who was hiding offline thinking he will be safe til he gets back etc.

Would create some nice tense moments if both on at the same time and one person trades above another then instantly comes looking for them or something.
Founder of: Death Control, Life Control and The Order
Member of: DK, CM, EdL, Northstar, RR, FTV, FI, SPB, TD, LoM, LB
LotuS
Beta Tester

Post by LotuS »

and bam!@ they hit your single mine and gain 2 exp. rah rah rah

gone again ~
Ingenius, Armory Armory v2, Lords of the PingsSuckas, AoC, Green Skulls, DoW, Shadow, MoM, Xenocide, NE, ST, HA, PI, FI, Armada, DC, LoP, AS, Lom, MH, RC