Thief or No Thief?

Discuss everything strategical about SMR.
Holy
Quiet One

Post by Holy »

Volrath wrote:the only game i trade from start to finish, i was 1st in exp for a long time.
got myself a thief (nobody could see me), a week later i switched to PSF... thief had way too many turns to spend, and racial routes were always drained...

if you know how to make the most of your turns, and how to properly trade and use forces, PSF is way better, imho...

Im not saying that a thief isn't good, but, well, PSF is better :D
Well I don't know about that Volrath. I think that a thief is the safest if you are a trader. I wouldn't use it for any type of fast game. But say you need to go check a route or two and they are drained; you use 2/3 less turns using a thief because in this game it got 18 / hr while a psf only got 6. I think it's different for me considering I come from shareplay where in a fast game 4x an alskant tm got 16 turns with 615 holds. :)
Forrest: I ran for three years, two months, fourteen days and sixteen hours. When I was hungry, I ate. When I was tired, I slept. When I had to go, you know, I went!
Volrath
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Volrath »

Holy wrote:
Volrath wrote:
Well I don't know about that Volrath. I think that a thief is the safest if you are a trader. I wouldn't use it for any type of fast game. But say you need to go check a route or two and they are drained; you use 2/3 less turns using a thief because in this game it got 18 / hr while a psf only got 6. I think it's different for me considering I come from shareplay where in a fast game 4x an alskant tm got 16 turns with 615 holds. :)
well, it really comes up to the way you use them... when im in a PSF i make sure that i dont waste turns looking for routes, there are a few different ways to do this...

and besides, i feel safer in a PSF than in a thief. a thief it only takes a mistake/distraction, 1 shot and you're dead... i'd rather take 2 shots in a PSF and make it back to fed alive than running around in a hurt thief trying to avoid singles :)
Former Member of: CoS, NE, Armada, FI, DoW, The Legacy of the Phoenix, E.P.I.C., Adult Swim, Sillicon Valley, POD, Sesame Street, Beyond Divinity

Currently in Veil of Avalon
Trigek
Admin Emeritus

Post by Trigek »

If you want a safer trader go with a BR, pretty decent defense, decent trading, cloak, and carries more forces than a thief.

PSF is good in racials where you can find numerous 3x routes. A theif is better for trading longer routes in neutrals where you can spend turns building relations with other races, openning up your trading possibilities. Personally when I have traded long term, which was years ago, I found racial trading in a PSF too boring. It was much more interesting building relations with multiple races and figuring out new routes to trade each day.
Live to Win, Dare to Fail

To: Trigek
Subject: thanks
just wanted to say thanks for trying to control the situation on webboard. it's all the people around me who keep up their great work.
smr lives through you!
SPOCK
Volrath
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Volrath »

Trigek wrote:If you want a safer trader go with a BR, pretty decent defense, decent trading, cloak, and carries more forces than a thief.

PSF is good in racials where you can find numerous 3x routes. A theif is better for trading longer routes in neutrals where you can spend turns building relations with other races, openning up your trading possibilities. Personally when I have traded long term, which was years ago, I found racial trading in a PSF too boring. It was much more interesting building relations with multiple races and figuring out new routes to trade each day.
a few games ago i traded all game in creonti, and used different routes everyday, you just need to be inventive :-)

and it was soooo fun illuding orca and soul and the likes for an intire game :D :D
Former Member of: CoS, NE, Armada, FI, DoW, The Legacy of the Phoenix, E.P.I.C., Adult Swim, Sillicon Valley, POD, Sesame Street, Beyond Divinity

camperman

Post by camperman »

XDemonX wrote:For safer trading Holy, i would suggest PSF. Yes theif is cloaked. But with theif you have to trade 3x more then you would psf. Which meansyou have 3x more chance to get podded. Plus PSF has scouts which are the best thing possible for a trader. Theif has cloak but everyone is human. People make mistake you might not pay attention and smack a mine. hit CS and oh hell there is a 30/15 DC IS with you. and with a theif. There is no wiggle room for mistake. Most theifs are dead in 2 shots ( 3 at most). PSF has wiggle room. at 400k you have a advatange, i tested it. With a 140k Fully loaded armor heavy FU, i need 3-4 shots EVERYTIME to kill a psf. somtimes even 5 shots. You can escape np useally. main keys for when trading psf:

1) Spend the extra turns and scout everything, nothing can kill you if you see everything before it comes

2) Move everything with local.

3) When entering port CS/local a few times when u make a trade. (this spoils any chance for someone who is sitting 2 out to rush in)

4) Trade Quick, 100% attention to trading. Don't talk just trade fast. Most trading should be done within 6 min, if it takes longer then you are doing something wrong( unless ur dial up of course :))

5) Place scout/mines everywhere u walk. if you get attacked. Follow your mine path back to safety.
If you think you are being hunted by some of the better hunters I like to make sure I know an alternate route back to fed. I have found after you leave sectors after the first one or two triggers most people 'guess' at which direction you are headed since you could be several sectors away by the time they go to Local map if they keep triggering till they get the left sector message. Know a different if not longer way back.
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

I use a simpler tactic. If you try to use a planned escape route there are 2 drawbacks: 1) Anything you think of may also be guessed by the hunter, a logical escape route can be followed more easily than a random one, 2) It takes time to remember which sector is next on your route. Therefore, my tactic is simply to run fast & randomly - start with your green sector, and simply keep moving in the same general direction, but making random turns, for at least 5 or 6 sectors. Then check local to make sure you don't have company and plot to safety.
Hobbs
Quiet One

Post by Hobbs »

Yeah, I do the same thing. Just random around for a while, careful not to head backwards or into a one way, and then plot home.
What part of lockbox do you not understand!?
Holy
Quiet One

Post by Holy »

Volrath wrote: and it was soooo fun illuding orca and soul and the likes for an intire game :D :D
I think you meant *entire. I see the space teachers are on vacation , eh? :)
Forrest: I ran for three years, two months, fourteen days and sixteen hours. When I was hungry, I ate. When I was tired, I slept. When I had to go, you know, I went!
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

i use to do the random turn things until one time i did that and got my self stuck in a DE tunnel. I have a slow connection so a fast hunter can follow me easy with local. If i don't have a path of singles to follow i go boom :)
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
Volrath
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Volrath »

Holy wrote:
Volrath wrote:...
I think you meant *entire. I see the space teachers are on vacation , eh? :)
well, i guess i have an excuse, since english isn't my main language... if you need any help with your portuguese, let me know :approved: :drink: