Thief or No Thief?

Discuss everything strategical about SMR.
Holy
Quiet One

Thief or No Thief?

Post by Holy »

/me is a very paranoid trader and I am sure that after posting this all you meanie hunters will be after me, but I usually find that this strategy works for me:

When I find a route, I (1) Memorize the route after traveling it once and scout out local maps to figure out the closest warps and the direction that hunters would be coming from. Next, I decide to (2) scout the ports and adjacent areas to warn if anyone gets near and I single mine around the port like the shape of a (+) sign. (3) I travel sector by sector initially and make mental notes of force scans that might belong to my alliance, etc, and any logged off traders. (4) I will travel with local map to ports and upon getting to port I local map about 3-4 times before entering.. then trade and quickly move away from the port. This will prove efficient against any experienced hunters. BUT . Be wary.

Hunters that have experience will pursue some of these tactics:

(1) They hide 2 outside a port and pounce on you as you trade
(2) They will sneak in the sector that there is a logged off sector and lay a single mine that will get you as you are trading fast.
(3) They know your route and lurk off the cpl so that you think it's safe to trade and then come and try to get you when you think you are safe.

For that last hunter tactic, try every other run to check the cpl to see if a known hunter has come on and has a green arrow to show that they are moving from being a "lurker". My best suggestion to do this... FED.

After all, a safe trader is a happy trader and it is better to be safe than sorry.

Once you get a substantial amount of experience, you might consider getting a Thief, which gets 12 turns an hour but only has 150 holds. Just remember, even when you get discouraged from trading and not getting a lot of experience. As long as you are not losing experience, you are doing great! Look for me in the games and ask if you have any questions! I'd be willing to offer any advice. Stay safe!!

Holy Unda'pants
Forrest: I ran for three years, two months, fourteen days and sixteen hours. When I was hungry, I ate. When I was tired, I slept. When I had to go, you know, I went!
Hobbs
Quiet One

Post by Hobbs »

Holy, no need to double post. What is this post about again?
What part of lockbox do you not understand!?
Holy
Quiet One

Post by Holy »

Sorry, didn't mean to double post. I was simply outlining certain trading 'habits' or 'suggestions' that i had. And wanted feedback on what you all thought and any suggestions you might have.
Forrest: I ran for three years, two months, fourteen days and sixteen hours. When I was hungry, I ate. When I was tired, I slept. When I had to go, you know, I went!
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

For safer trading Holy, i would suggest PSF. Yes theif is cloaked. But with theif you have to trade 3x more then you would psf. Which meansyou have 3x more chance to get podded. Plus PSF has scouts which are the best thing possible for a trader. Theif has cloak but everyone is human. People make mistake you might not pay attention and smack a mine. hit CS and oh hell there is a 30/15 DC IS with you. and with a theif. There is no wiggle room for mistake. Most theifs are dead in 2 shots ( 3 at most). PSF has wiggle room. at 400k you have a advatange, i tested it. With a 140k Fully loaded armor heavy FU, i need 3-4 shots EVERYTIME to kill a psf. somtimes even 5 shots. You can escape np useally. main keys for when trading psf:

1) Spend the extra turns and scout everything, nothing can kill you if you see everything before it comes

2) Move everything with local.

3) When entering port CS/local a few times when u make a trade. (this spoils any chance for someone who is sitting 2 out to rush in)

4) Trade Quick, 100% attention to trading. Don't talk just trade fast. Most trading should be done within 6 min, if it takes longer then you are doing something wrong( unless ur dial up of course :))

5) Place scout/mines everywhere u walk. if you get attacked. Follow your mine path back to safety.

Here is some math to support why psf is better.
Theif Speed = 18
PSF Speed = 6
Theif Holds = 150
PSF Holds = 600

PSF is 3 times slower. but has 4 time more holds. Which makes PSF gives 25% more exp when you trade. 25% more money. (Its acutally a little above 25% because theif u have to use extra turns to buy/sell more then you do for psf)

Theif Defence = /6
PSF Defence = /15

In psf, you don't have to trade everyday. You can go 4 days(96 hours) without trading in psf. and still not have max turns. You can't even go 36 hours in a theif. Which means u can vary the time u trade. making it less predictable for hunters to kill you

PSF is 150% stronger. Theif just cloaks.
Ask your self. In a war would u perfer to have a Hummer. Or a dirt bike?

Forces = PSF has scouts. Theif does not.

Cost = PSF is Cheaper.

Retrictions = Anyone can get PSF. You need to be evil to get theif.

Hope that helps someone when making a decision in picking ship to trade.
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
Infinity
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Infinity »

Most trading should be done within 6 min
Are you saying that entering the port, selling, buying and checking local a few times should last max 6mins?
I am on dial up, but that is finished within 2-2.5 minutes.

I just don't understand why would Holy be concerned about possibly getting a pod when GS have their nice 2363-2788 route which, I presume, has 20 stacks of forces in each sector.
Use The Force(s)!
Swagman
Quiet One

Post by Swagman »

no, he's saying that burning all your turns in a PSF, maybe draining 2 - 3 routes should last no more than 6 minutes..... I would prefer 3 - 4 minutes..... any longer than that, and you run the risk of the hunters, locating you and setting up a trap....
Freon22
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Freon22 »

XDemonX made some very good points. But there are a few things that he failed to bring up. The PSf is not for everyone if you have to made more then one or two runs for scouts the turns that you lose is hard to make up. Also if you are being hunted by someone everytime you come online the trips to your trade route then back to fed can eat up those extra cargo holds. Then there are the trips to the bank, if the bank is not close to you trade route that is more turns eaten. Another thing some players that trades likes to be active. They like to trade everyday, with the PSF you are not going to be as active.

So for someone that likes to play everyday and want some sort of safety then the theif is a fair choice.

PS: The PSF speed is 4 turns in a normal game with the Theif having 12 turn per hour. So I say use the ship that you feel works the best for you.
XDemonX
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by XDemonX »

Yes Freon is right. PSF is a ship that you need to learn how to use turn management. If you like to waste turns then theif is for you. PSF is more or less you gotta thing before u move every turn wasted it cutting into your exp hardcore
This is a beat, you just can't touch.....
Volrath
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by Volrath »

the only game i trade from start to finish, i was 1st in exp for a long time.
got myself a thief (nobody could see me), a week later i switched to PSF... thief had way too many turns to spend, and racial routes were always drained...

if you know how to make the most of your turns, and how to properly trade and use forces, PSF is way better, imho...

Im not saying that a thief isn't good, but, well, PSF is better :D
Former Member of: CoS, NE, Armada, FI, DoW, The Legacy of the Phoenix, E.P.I.C., Adult Swim, Sillicon Valley, POD, Sesame Street, Beyond Divinity

Currently in Veil of Avalon
Holy
Quiet One

Post by Holy »

Swagman wrote:no, he's saying that burning all your turns in a PSF, maybe draining 2 - 3 routes should last no more than 6 minutes..... I would prefer 3 - 4 minutes..... any longer than that, and you run the risk of the hunters, locating you and setting up a trap....
Yes, but unfortunately for Jonn and myself the Roadrunner guy gave us a second bum modem and he won't be back until Friday and that is why I opted for a thief. Once you get above the top hunters, it is safer to get a cloaked trader .

And to others, no there were not 20 stacks at all on that route 14x nij. Actually to the contrary usually it was singled by enemies &*cough cough