Trading Illegals

Discuss everything strategical about SMR.
Tharkas

Trading Illegals

Post by Tharkas »

I figure I'd open another stratagey topic in this lonely folder. =)

What do you guys think of trading slaves, weapons, and/or narcotics? Think they're worth it? Any ways to reduce getting searched by the feds? Any tips for the young aspiring criminals?
Music soothes the savage beast? So does my sword.
Trib
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Trib »

Well if you check out the top 10 traders, a lot of them will have been trading illegal goods, I believe the Galactic Post currently has an article with the exact statistics.

Certainly it can be advantageous trading in illegal goods, as it gives you an extra three goods to trade in, making it more likely to find a good route. However of course if you get caught with illegal goods on board you cannot get any XP for that load. In my opinion this is a small price to pay, and I usually go evil as soon as I can.

The only sure fire way to reduce the changes of being caught with illegal goods is to buy a smuggling ship, available from "The Smuggler's Craft" ship shop, this is either a Thief, Assasin or Death Cruiser. Though Thief is the only real trade ship of these three,

The formula for getting searched is

Search % = 15 - 4 * #illegal goods at port - 4 (if smuggling ship)

So if the port sells all three illegal goods and you are in a Thief, there is a - 1 % chance of you being searched, so you are safe from being searched. SO to maximize your chances trade at ports with as many of the illegals as possible and do so in a Thief.
Trigek
Admin Emeritus

Post by Trigek »

Either there is a bug or that isn't the formula used, cause I've been searched many times in a thief at ports with 3 evil goods.

When trading illegals always keep a mil onboard for those nasty fines, other than that its just normal trading.
Wonks
Quiet One

Post by Wonks »

A port that sells 3 illegal goods tho?
Trib
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Trib »

I guess there must be a bug then, since it is a reduction of 4% for each illegal good either bought of sold at a port and a further 4% for the smuggling ship. I will look into it and see if I can't find out what is wrong when Azool or Spock is on later.
Trigek
Admin Emeritus

Post by Trigek »

[quote="Wonks"]A port that sells 3 illegal goods tho?[/quote]

Yes
Trib
Beta Test Team Leader

Post by Trib »

though it should make no difference whether they are bought or sold
Cul-de-Sac

Post by Cul-de-Sac »

in SM UG ships weren't searched as often as other ships. Don't know how it is in SMR tho.
The best part of life, is death.