Trading for Newbies- Understanding Trade Routes Lesson 1

Discuss everything strategical about SMR.

Was this topic helpful?

Yes
47%
No
12%
ipod is a genius
41%

Total votes: 17

ipod
Quiet One

Trading for Newbies- Understanding Trade Routes Lesson 1

Post by ipod »

I read the thread about 'how do you get all that exp?' and thought newbies could use this info.

So what exactly is a perfect 3x route? 2x2x3x3?
What the hell am I talking about?!

Say port (#5) SELLS luxury and the closest port that BUYS luxury is one sector away at port (#6)

That is a 1x1 trade (max exp for an Inter-Stellar Trader w/300 holds would be 22 experience per trade- buy or sell)

Now the same port (#5) SELLS Machinery, but port (#6) doesnt BUY machinery. The closest port (#104) on the other hand, which is three sectors away from port (#5) does. Then that would make port (#5) SELL Machinery at three times the experience (3x) because the closest port that BUYS machinery is three sectors away.

Therefore what you want to do for exp is find a route that is a perfect 3x which would mean that both ports goods are exactly three sectors away from the opposite sales transaction, perfect 4x, 5x ect. or a route that is almost perfect such as 3x3x3x2. IMO a perfect 3x will get you decent experience.The problem is hunters usually patrol these top trade routes.

But I will not go into trading tactics.

So REMEMBER the closest port that conducts the OPPOSITE sales transaction determines the experience value of that particular item.

Newbie: "So why can't I just trade a 1x and get the same exp."

Well the answer is simple. Turns. Each time you buy or sell it costs one turn, so you want your route farther apart to maximize your turn usage.
Last edited by ipod on Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buttsack
Quiet One

Post by buttsack »

Good article, things like this should be posted somewhere important for all to see, especially if you continue with these!
Green Skulls, Crimson and Clover, Army of Cuda, Suckas, Armory, Armory v2, Green Skulls, Lords of the Pings, Green Skulls, Ingenious!
Ardbeg
Beginner Spam Artist

Post by Ardbeg »

Read the rules, follow the rules, and stop complaining!
ipod
Quiet One

Post by ipod »

Nice articles Ardbeg but like the manual its a bit text heavy for new players.
DarthNihilus
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by DarthNihilus »

Not to offend but the manual and all the rest reads like a contract. Good idea Ipod.
...... cursed be he that keepeth back his sword from blood.
SnakeBite
Newbie Spam Artist

Post by SnakeBite »

Yay gives me somewhere to refer new players to! Great job!